Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/7/2023 at 10:25 AM, wolf from 73 said:

If the above happens our next move has to be Texas with Texas State a sure thing and hopefully we can negotiate a media deal for at least 10-12 mill. If that can be accomplished then offer UTSA, North Texas and Rice and if any show interest then pick 1 then add the best of any other 2.

No, that doesn’t have to happen. There’s no need for programs like UNT, UTEP, Rice, TXSU, SHSU, etc. simply because they’re in Texas. They’re not already in the MW because the money isn’t there to add them. 

The MW12 with the PAC2 and Zags would be a solid conference. We should only add a Memphis-caliber school if they add to the TV contract and benefit the conference. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:27 AM, Ram1554 said:

No, that doesn’t have to happen. There’s no need for programs like UNT, UTEP, Rice, TXSU, SHSU, etc. simply because they’re in Texas. They’re not already in the MW because the money isn’t there to add them. 

The MW12 with the PAC2 and Zags would be a solid conference. We should only add a Memphis-caliber school if they add to the TV contract and benefit the conference. 

Yes it would be a solid conference but the part about our media deal getting to 10-12 mill will probably be contingent on us adding more than just OSU and WSU. If adding 4 plus the 2 to get to that figure then I'm all in and think that most MW fans would agree.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:00 AM, thespywhozaggedme said:

Although definitely not western, I’ve never heard of Louisiana being referred to as “the East“.

Some folks here are pushing the narrative that NO and Louisiana are too far ‘east’… nvmind the fact that schools in this league spent many years as conference mates with Louisiana Tech all the way up in bfe Ruston.

On 9/7/2023 at 7:09 AM, OzzyOzz said:

I worked at UoH. There is space around the campus to pull it off if they wanted but the culture there isn't really into the commercial aspect of sports it seemed. (They play more than any other state I'd bet though) 

Also, the government seemed splintered and inefficient in everything they did. They were building a high rail and that was basically a comedy as far as how it was being realized..

A new stadium for vanity reasons seems like a hard ask from them. There are deep cultural issues in Hawaii that make public initiatives difficult to run even if well intentioned. I mean, Oprah and the Rock can tell you about what they are facing right now lol

The baseball stadium was nice though and I wondered at the time why that didn't go into football as it is huge there..but space isnt the issue.  

Everyone there is a politician.

The stadium definitely is an issue on-campus due to the surrounding area limitation. As the current main parking structures on campus closest to the athletic facilities cannot support a 30k capacity crowd. Some of the crowd for a 15k stadium is already forced to park in nearby neighborhoods/remote parking lots. The school and AD are stuck in a difficult situation. The AD has recently said they don't want to let off the hook the state officials from getting NASED (New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District) done in a timely matter (it was supposed to be finished for the 2023-24 season, now its expected either 2027 or 2028 at earliest). Which is partially the reason they don't want to commit to the on-campus stadium. There is definitely ways around expanding existing Ching but would require them to take apart the metal bleacher sideline the school rushed to install and get done for the 2020/2021 seasons after Aloha Stadium officials notified the schools late about the closure, and rebuild that side closer to the field over the old track, which would allow that side to probably go higher and add more seating. As the original plan was to have the track still be able to get used by the T&F and XC teams in the Football offseason before the recent commitment to rebuild a new track and soccer field at the nearby soccer/football practice fields.

The school is real bandwagon-y when it comes to fan support. The fanbase itself used to have a good 15-20k of solid no-matter the situation fans (that was what would turn out in every season of Chow's tenure until the 1-11 year) with a 30-40k average attendance. What hurt the fanbase the most was having out of the 5 coaches after JJ, 2 of them put the program right back into full rebuild mode with the most recent being the coach Timmy had to take over for. Norm Chow and Todd Graham, with the latter having to rebuild because he forced about half the team out right before NLI day and having the new coach look for whoever he could to fill the roster as well as build a new staff.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 4:57 AM, jdgaucho said:

I shot that in January of this year during my trip to Honolulu :shrug:

Sorry, my bad.  I corrected the post to say that the configuration in the video is last season's, i.e. that's what it looked like over a year ago and continuing into early 2023.  The updates I describe that covered up more of the track were done from April to August of this year.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:34 AM, B_Lootz said:

Some folks here are pushing the narrative that NO and Louisiana are too far ‘east’… nvmind the fact that schools in this league spent many years as conference mates with Louisiana Tech all the way up in bfe Ruston.

Isn't that which caused the airport meeting?

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 12:33 PM, Brew_Poke said:

Pac-12 legal delay: WSU and OSU hoped to proceed quickly, but conference office slow to move
Pac-12 HQ is weeks behind in terms of sorting through legal rubble

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/09/07/pac-12-legal-delay-wsu-and-osu-hoped-to-proceed-quickly-but-conference-office-slow-to-move/

Um....WFT?   It is probably time for OSU and WSU to fire the commissioner and everyone else and install some consultants or lawyers over there who have their best interest in mind.  The whole reason the Pac12 is in this predicament is because the school/conference were not moving quickly enough to react to current events.    

I would be +++++ing livid if anyone at the conference was dragging ass in any way.  I would be very concerned the staff and commissioner were trying to ingratiate themselves with the ADs of the departing schools instead of serving the interest of the remaining ones. 

Vince Mcmahon Wrestling GIF by WWE

• Like 4
Posted Image

On 9/7/2023 at 11:43 AM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

The stadium definitely is an issue on-campus due to the surrounding area limitation. As the main parking structures on campus closest to the athletic facilities cannot support a 30k capacity crowd. The Overflow crowd for a 15k stadium is already forced to park in nearby neighborhoods/remote parking lots. The school and AD are stuck in a difficult situation. The AD has recently said they don't want to let off the hook the state officials from getting NASED (New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District) done in a timely matter (it was supposed to be finished for the 2023-24 season, now its expected either 2027 or 2028 at earliest). Which is partially the reason they don't want to commit to the on-campus stadium. There is definitely ways around expanding existing Ching but would require them to take apart the metal bleacher sideline the school rushed to install and get done for the 2020/2021 seasons after Aloha Stadium officials notified the schools late about the closure, and rebuild that side closer to the field over the old track. As the original plan was to have the track still be able to get used by the T&F and XC teams in the Football offseason before the recent commitment to rebuild a new track and soccer field at the nearby soccer/football practice fields.

The school is real bandwagon-y when it comes to fan support. The fanbase itself used to have a good 15-20k of solid no-matter the situation fans (that was what would turn out in every season of Chow's tenure until the 1-11 year). What hurt the fanbase the most was having out of the 5 coaches after JJ, 2 of them put the program right back into full rebuild mode with the most recent being the coach Timmy had to take over for. Norm Chow and Todd Graham, with the latter having to rebuild because he forced about half the team out right before NLI day and having the new coach look for whoever he could to fill the roster as well as build a new staff.

You see, when you turn left (coming from town) up university ave, when you drive up past the university on your right, continuing up and to your left is a huge nature park that is like maybe..10 mins from campus? Take some? acres..but, I know, environmentalism..I get it. Like I said, there are cultural issues so things are hard to move there..

And instead they went all the way to the other side of town for probably very good reasons. I don't know. I just found it strange. That park is likely unfeasible for other reasons I don't know of as well..

On 9/7/2023 at 12:57 PM, Akkula said:

Um....WFT?   It is probably time for OSU and WSU to fire the commissioner and everyone else and install some consultants or lawyers over there who have their best interest in mind.  The whole reason the Pac12 is in this predicament is because the school/conference were not moving quickly enough to react to current events.    

I would be +++++ing livid if anyone at the conference was dragging ass in any way.  I would be very concerned the staff and commissioner were trying to ingratiate themselves with the ADs of the departing schools instead of serving the interest of the remaining ones. 

If they intend to merge with the MWC one way or another, bring in MWC office to help out.  Fire Georgy and install Glorious.  OSU/WSU need to stop playing nice with the front office.  2024 is coming quickly.

• Like 1

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, Akkula said:

Vince Mcmahon Wrestling GIF by WWE

It will be interesting to see how a merger works. Obviously there would need to be a ton of consolidation, as we'd have double the staff needed. 

Would we take the Pac 12 headquarters in the Bay Area, or keep the current one in Colorado Springs? I know Gloria Nevarez lives in the Tahoe area. 

How about the Pac 12 Network infrastructure? Just auction for parts? 

On 9/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Sorry, my bad.  I corrected the post to say that the configuration in the video is last season's, i.e. that's what it looked like over a year ago and continuing into early 2023.  The updates I describe that covered up more of the track were done from April to August of this year.

Sounds like a nice temporary improvement and good to know a new facility is in the works for track and field plus soccer.

On 9/7/2023 at 1:30 PM, bigd said:

It will be interesting to see how a merger works. Obviously there would need to be a ton of consolidation, as we'd have double the staff needed. 

Would we take the Pac 12 headquarters in the Bay Area, or keep the current one in Colorado Springs? I know Gloria Nevarez lives in the Tahoe area. 

How about the Pac 12 Network infrastructure? Just auction for parts? 

Are you stalking her?

On 9/7/2023 at 3:28 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

What’s the real hang up on the State of Hawaii not just funding a 30,000 seat on campus stadium. Reconfigure some shit like those practice/soccer fields, move the tennis courts, and close off a couple of those streets. Could be used for multiple events, close distance to Waikiki and all the cool shit. 
IMG_7734.jpeg.e07609226ab6ae994eb1a9943d460498.jpeg

I think other posts have mostly answered this question.  Yes, there's enough room for a 30K-seat on-campus stadium if some venues are moved around and the space is used efficiently and creatively.  But because parking is limited and and incoming cars have to funnel through two narrow entry points, game day traffic is already a problem with a 15K-seat stadium.

Moreover the campus happens to be situated in Manoa which is one of the most exclusive neighborhoods on Oahu.  Any significant stadium expansion that would exacerbate traffic, noise, crowding, etc. is likely to be opposed by Manoa residents, who have quite a bit of political clout.

Despite these obstacles, there are some local politicians advocating a full stadium build-out on campus instead of at the old Aloha Stadium site.  One of these is a former Hawaii governor who was just named to the university board of regents, so I don't think the idea is going away.

However the current governor, legislative leaders, and the stadium authority board have recently reached a consensus to proceed with an updated New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District (NASED) public-private partnership plan.  In this plan the the state will give a private developer an extended lease to the Aloha Stadium property, plus a fixed $400 million cash contribution that has already been appropriated by the legislature.  With the land and money in hand, the private developer will take on the responsibilities of razing the old stadium, building a new one with 25K to 30K seats, and operating and maintaining the the new stadium for 30 years.  Also the private developer will be given the right to construct, operate, and keep the revenue from a mixed-used residential/commercial project surrounding the new stadium featuring hotels, condominiums, restaurants, retail stores, etc.  The theory is that the developer will be incented to build a high-quality stadium so that it can keep most of the net revenue from the real estate project as profit rather than having to spend it on stadium maintenance.

The cynics among us think that this plan has been approved primarily because it gives the politicians maximum leverage to skim money from the private developers competing to be selected to partner with the state, as well as from the design and construction companies that will be employed as subcontractors on the project for decades into the future.

Here's a recent video depicting what the new stadium and surrounding development could look like after full build-out (note that the stadium conceptual design is pretty vanilla):

• Like 1