Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/7/2023 at 10:12 AM, Jack Bauer said:

What do you guys think of this Army to the American stuff?

I wonder if that would get AFA and CSU excited to possibly jump over there.

AF might be enticed but I wonder what a TV deal would look like for them over there?  What would the that type of travel do to their Olympic sports in the Academy?  Would they have to do football only to AAC?  Then what do they do with their other sports because the MW wouldn't keep them.  

With the exit fees, I think it might be hard.  AF might find a way to make it work but I don't see CSU moving.  Who's over there now?  Memphis?  

The AAC is a lot different conference than the one they flirted with just 2 years ago with all of the AAC defections. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, SteedLaw said:

The New "PAC 18":

The North:

1. Oregon State
  2. Washington State
  3. Boise State

The Mountain:

1. Utah State
  2. Colorado State
  3. Wyoming

The Southwest:

1. New Mexico
  2. UTEP
  3. Texas State

The Mojave:

1. Nevada
  2. UNLV
  3. Cal State: Freno

The Armed Forces:

1. Air Force
  2. Navy (Football Only Member)
  3. Army (Football Only Member)

The Pacific:

1. SDSU
  2. SJSU
  3. Hawaii (Football Only Member)
  • Nine (9) Game In-Conference Schedule:
    • Teams will schedule each member of their POD every year on a permanent basis (2 games each year).
    • Teams will schedule one (1) member of the other PODseach year on a rotating basis (5 games each year).
    • Teams will schedule two (2) other teams of one (1) other PODs each year on a rotating basis (2 games each year).
  • Additional stipends for travel will be given to full members to play away games at football only members.
  • The conference will split half (fifty percent) of the revenue proceeds from rivalry games with existing Pod members; creating a monetary incentive for strong rivalries within each POD.

At face value this looks crazy but in reality our conference would want everyone to play each other as often as possible and this would seem the most likely scenario to accomplish that. At 18 which I think is the most viable number of schools to survive in the new era of college football mega conferences. It will definitely stretch some peoples imagination but adding the best combination of schools East of the Range would be something I would enjoy and probably bring a decent media contract.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:12 AM, Jack Bauer said:

What do you guys think of this Army to the American stuff?

I wonder if that would get AFA and CSU excited to possibly jump over there.

CSU and AFA will not leave their geographic rivals just to play Army and Navy once a year in football. AFA values their geographic rivals -- CSU and Wyoming, as much as they do Army and Navy. 

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 10:34 AM, bigd said:

Yeah, I'd imagine it would be somewhat tempting for Air Force. And while they like playing the front range schools, it seems like their mission of recruiting cadets nationally would be better served by playing in larger markets back east. 

It still seems like it would be a hard sell for CSU though, especially if the MW adds WSU and OSU. The MW is just a much better fit with regional and similar schools. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. It would definitely be a nice addition by the AAC, if they're able to replace SMU with Army. I wonder if they'd also look for another non-football member to balance basketball at 14 members, I've heard VCU mentioned.

I would assume the American would add the NW schools as well in this scenario

Aresco is a damn magician with this stuff. His league continually gets raided and he just keeps raising it from the ashes.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Troll 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 10:50 AM, SteedLaw said:

CSU and AFA will not leave their geographic rivals just to play Army and Navy once a year in football. AFA values their geographic rivals -- CSU and Wyoming, as much as they do Army and Navy. 

I would think AFA could play them as out of conference games.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 10:45 AM, jlobo09 said:

It looks like the traction is to keep with PAC brand and merge the MWC teams. This is complicated as the assets for OSU/WSU and MWC assets need to be accounted for correctly and distributed. 

https://twitter.com/TheMontyShow/status/1699799779444920520?s=20

image.png.5d0ed3612ab52cee18297eb41072ed15.png

Monty has never been right about much.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:45 AM, jlobo09 said:

It looks like the traction is to keep with PAC brand and merge the MWC teams. This is complicated as the assets for OSU/WSU and MWC assets need to be accounted for correctly and distributed. 

https://twitter.com/TheMontyShow/status/1699799779444920520?s=20

image.png.5d0ed3612ab52cee18297eb41072ed15.png

Yep, and a reverse merger is the best way to do that, provided they don't drag their feet and act quickly. Time is of the essence now and, it appears, we know they path they are taking. For the brand's sake, let's just hope they can close this quickly.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:51 AM, Jack Bauer said:

Aresco is a damn magician with this stuff. His league continually gets raided and he just keeps raising it from the ashes.

He said he isn't going West at this time for the NW schools.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, Wyobraska said:

He said he isn't going West at this time for the NW schools.

I honestly think if you can get the NW schools you should make a play for Memphis and one of the Texas teams as well (UTSA, Tex St, whoever) 

Memphis isn't going to want to stick around.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 8:54 AM, SteedLaw said:

Tulane is a bad idea for the PAC/MWC. 

Assuming the new “PAC” is is a done deal, the conference will be primarily comprised of large, public research universities with a more “Western” footprint, culture and appeal. Tulane, by comparison is a small private school located in the East, with small facilities and no long-term track record. 

They would be better off staying at 14 or adding any number of the larger public research schools in Texas. 

Although definitely not western, I’ve never heard of Louisiana being referred to as “the East“.

• Facepalm 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:52 AM, Jack Bauer said:

Monty has never been right about much.

Really? I think he has done a pretty good job. He was talking about the "4 corner schools" before the big national reports did. 

He was also one of the first to report that the OSU/WSU would not be going to the AAC. He seems to have strong ESPN and PAC sources. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:05 AM, jlobo09 said:

Really? I think he has done a pretty good job. He was talking about the "4 corner schools" before the big national reports did. 

He was also one of the first to report that the OSU/WSU would not be going to the AAC. He seems to have strong ESPN and PAC sources. 

He used to be on the radio in the market here and would say stuff, but it wouldn't happen. 

This round of expansion has been pretty interesting to watch. I've always felt like he was late to the game, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 6:28 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

What’s the real hang up on the State of Hawaii not just funding a 30,000 seat on campus stadium. Reconfigure some shit like those practice/soccer fields, move the tennis courts, and close off a couple of those streets. Could be used for multiple events, close distance to Waikiki and all the cool shit. 
IMG_7734.jpeg.e07609226ab6ae994eb1a9943d460498.jpeg

I worked at UoH. There is space around the campus to pull it off if they wanted but the culture there isn't really into the commercial aspect of sports it seemed. (They play more than any other state I'd bet though) 

Also, the government seemed splintered and inefficient in everything they did. They were building a high rail and that was basically a comedy as far as how it was being realized..

A new stadium for vanity reasons seems like a hard ask from them. There are deep cultural issues in Hawaii that make public initiatives difficult to run even if well intentioned. I mean, Oprah and the Rock can tell you about what they are facing right now lol

The baseball stadium was nice though and I wondered at the time why that didn't go into football as it is huge there..but space isnt the issue.  

Everyone there is a politician.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:16 AM, AztecSU said:

Money won't be there but it would be nice if somehow the new PAC(2PAC+MW) added Memphis, Tulane, and Gonzaga. 

If the above happens our next move has to be Texas with Texas State a sure thing and hopefully we can negotiate a media deal for at least 10-12 mill. If that can be accomplished then offer UTSA, North Texas and Rice and if any show interest then pick 1 then add the best of any other 2.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 4

On 9/7/2023 at 9:51 AM, Jack Bauer said:

I'd prefer this than joining the MWC without the academies tbh..

Especially since it's only 10 years..

• Super-Mega Idiot 1