Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/6/2023 at 10:55 PM, tahoe84 said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but here’s a new interview with WSU’s president Kirk Schulz, who seems to be doing the heavy lifting for both WSU and OSU. It sounds like we’ll have a public announcement around October 1st, which will likely be W/OSU to the MW or a reverse merger into the PAC-12. A scheduling alliance was mentioned, but I don’t think Gloria/the MW will accommodate that when the MW has all of the leverage. 

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/article/wsu-president-kirk-schulz-football-an-illuminating-conversation--215587221/

They are working on a reverse merger.

Makes too much sense for them to keep all the assets, including the PAC brand and name, and adding the 12 MWC teams. It is by far the best path forward at this juncture and allows them to “rebuild the PAC” quickly.

I know some people keep saying a scheduling agreement with a future promise of merger, but I really doubt it. First, a scheduling agreement is an overly simple transaction and, if that were the case, we would have already heard something concrete there — it does not take a full week let alone a month or more to figure out a scheduling agreement and a promise to merge in the form of a binding LOI. The fact this has taken so much time and that we are hearing nothing already is indicative the relevant parties have all signed NDAs and are furiously working on an actual merger — i.e., that they can’t talk about because they are under an NDA not do disclose (which is entirely common and par for the course).

In my opinion, the silence is golden right now for those hoping for a full merger and it is a done deal. All signs are currently pointing to their putting in the hard work now rather than saving that for later. 

Second, it makes no sense to not just go ahead and merge now if your new conference mates are going to be more or less amenable to your needs/desires in regard to the existing cash assets.

A full reverse merger allows for a quick rebound, the ability to “rebuild the PAC”, provide immediate stability, and to save face, which is why we won’t hear anything for a couple of weeks until the docs are done, finalized and signed. 

In short, they are working on a “closing”.

• Like 5
  • Cheers 1

On 9/7/2023 at 7:07 AM, SteedLaw said:

Makes too much sense for them to keep all the assets, including the PAC brand and name, and adding the 12 MWC teams. It is by far the best path forward at this juncture and allows them to “rebuild the PAC” quickly.

I know some people keep saying a scheduling agreement with a future promise of merger, but I really doubt it. First, a scheduling agreement is an overly simple transaction and, if that were the case, we would have already heard something concrete there — it does not take a full week let alone a month or more to figure out a scheduling agreement and a promise to merge in the form of a binding LOI. The fact this has taken so much time and that we are hearing nothing already is indicative the relevant parties have all signed NDAs and are furiously working on an actual merger — i.e., that they can’t talk about because they are under and NDA not do disclose (which is entirely common and par for the course).

In my opinion, the silence is golden right now for those hoping for a full merger and it is a done deal. All signs are currently pointing to their putting in the hard work now rather than saving that for later. 

Second, it makes no sense to not just go ahead and merge now if your new conference mates are going to be more or less amenable to your needs/desires in regard to the existing cash assets.

A full reverse merger allows for a quick rebound, the ability to “rebuild the PAC”, provide immediate stability, and to save face, which is why we won’t hear anything for a couple of weeks until the docs are done, finalized and signed. 

This makes a ton of sense. It also fits with Aresco’s statement a week or so ago about not pursuing WOSU.

• Like 4

On 9/7/2023 at 2:26 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

That video is over a year old.  Since then new, larger bleachers have been built in each end zone and two of the four corners have been filled in.  The track is still there but it’s more covered up.  The next phase of construction, after this season ends, will add new stands along the mauka sideline (in front of the concrete structure that houses the press box) and will fill in a third corner.  All of that new seating will also be built on top of the track, nearly eliminating it from view.

The open question about Ching Field is, what will happen to the portions of unused track that the bleachers are sitting on top of?  Rip them out in stages and replace them with concrete foundation pads?  Just leave them in place until the bleachers are eventually removed (assuming the new Aloha Stadium ever gets built)?  No one seems to know.

Just as an aside, work is scheduled to begin this month on a new $15 million on-campus track & field plus soccer complex to provide a replacement venue for the no-longer-usable Ching Field track.

What’s the real hang up on the State of Hawaii not just funding a 30,000 seat on campus stadium. Reconfigure some shit like those practice/soccer fields, move the tennis courts, and close off a couple of those streets. Could be used for multiple events, close distance to Waikiki and all the cool shit. 
IMG_7734.jpeg.e07609226ab6ae994eb1a9943d460498.jpeg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 9:07 AM, SteedLaw said:

I know some people keep saying a scheduling agreement with a future promise of merger, but I really doubt it. First, a scheduling agreement is an overly simple transaction and, if that were the case, we would have already heard something concrete there — it does not take a full week let alone a month or more to figure out a scheduling agreement and a promise to merge in the form of a binding LOI. The fact this has taken so much time and that we are hearing nothing already is indicative the relevant parties have all signed NDAs and are furiously working on an actual merger — i.e., that they can’t talk about because they are under and NDA not do disclose (which is entirely common and par for the course).

As long as George Kliavkoff isn't included.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 6:07 AM, SteedLaw said:

And the perfect way to jettison the asinine Donk media agreement. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 6:28 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

What’s the real hang up on the State of Hawaii not just funding a 30,000 seat on campus stadium. Reconfigure some shit like those practice/soccer fields, move the tennis courts, and close off a couple of those streets. Could be used for multiple events, close distance to Waikiki and all the cool shit. 
IMG_7734.jpeg.e07609226ab6ae994eb1a9943d460498.jpeg

Yeah I attended a game @Hawaii last year, and I completely agree with you. Obviously it's small, but it's really cool having the games on campus, and the stadium has potential. Supposedly they increased the capacity from 9k to 15k this offseason. 

It would be a lot cheaper to just expand it to 30-40k, compared to a new Aloha Stadium.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 1:26 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

That video is over a year old.  Since then new, larger bleachers have been built in each end zone and two of the four corners have been filled in.  The track is still there but it’s more covered up.  The next phase of construction, after this season ends, will add new stands along the mauka sideline (in front of the concrete structure that houses the press box) and will fill in a third corner.  All of that new seating will also be built on top of the track, nearly eliminating it from view.

The open question about Ching Field is, what will happen to the portions of unused track that the bleachers are sitting on top of?  Rip them out in stages and replace them with concrete foundation pads?  Just leave them in place until the bleachers are eventually removed (assuming the new Aloha Stadium ever gets built)?  No one seems to know.

Just as an aside, work is scheduled to begin this month on a new $15 million on-campus track & field plus soccer complex to provide a replacement venue for the no-longer-usable Ching Field track.

I shot that in January of this year during my trip to Honolulu :shrug:

On 9/7/2023 at 5:45 AM, RSF said:

One good season out of 7 doesnt make him a good coach.  Lets see him do it more than once.  and building a HS stadium isnt 'getting serious'.

Not sure I agree. In his 7 years as coach he's taken them to 4 bowl games, which is as many as they had been to in the prior 35 years. 

And IMO as a mid major coach making and winning a NY6 game is the most important thing. For programs our size, that national recognition is priceless. I'd rather have constant losing seasons over a decade with one Cotton Bowl win over USC, than I would a decade of 6-8 win seasons and Potato Bowls. 

The New "PAC 18":

The North:

1. Oregon State
  2. Washington State
  3. Boise State

The Mountain:

1. Utah State
  2. Colorado State
  3. Wyoming

The Southwest:

1. New Mexico
  2. UTEP
  3. Texas State

The Mojave:

1. Nevada
  2. UNLV
  3. Cal State: Freno

The Armed Forces:

1. Air Force
  2. Navy (Football Only Member)
  3. Army (Football Only Member)

The Pacific:

1. SDSU
  2. SJSU
  3. Hawaii (Football Only Member)
  • Nine (9) Game In-Conference Schedule:
    • Teams will schedule each member of their POD every year on a permanent basis (2 games each year).
    • Teams will schedule one (1) member of the other PODseach year on a rotating basis (5 games each year).
    • Teams will schedule two (2) other teams of one (1) other PODs each year on a rotating basis (2 games each year).
  • Additional stipends for travel will be given to full members to play away games at football only members.
  • The conference will split half (fifty percent) of the revenue proceeds from rivalry games with existing Pod members; creating a monetary incentive for strong rivalries within each POD.
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 4
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1
  • Downvote 2
  • WTF 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, SteedLaw said:

The New "Pac 18":

The North:

1. Oregon State
  2. Washington State
  3. Boise State

The Mountain:

1. Utah State
  2. Colorado State
  3. Wyoming

The Southwest:

1. New Mexico
  2. UTEP
  3. Texas State

The Mojave:

1. Nevada
  2. UNLV

The Armed Forces:

1. Air Force

The Pacific:

1. SDSU
  2. SJSU
  • Nine (9) Game In-Conference Schedule: Teams will schedule each member of their POD every year on a permanent basis.
    • Teams will schedule one (1) member of the other pods each year on a rotating basis.
    • Teams will schedule two (2) other teams of one (1) other Pod on a rotating basis.
  • Additional stipends for travel will be given to full members to play away games at football only members.
  • The conference will split half (fifty percent) of the revenue proceeds from rivalry games within each pod with existing Pod members; creating a monetary incentive for strong rivalries within each POD.

On 9/7/2023 at 4:12 AM, bigd said:

Yeah I attended a game @Hawaii last year, and I completely agree with you. Obviously it's small, but it's really cool having the games on campus, and the stadium has potential. Supposedly they increased the capacity from 9k to 15k this offseason. 

It would be a lot cheaper to just expand it to 30-40k, compared to a new Aloha Stadium.

Would love on campus but I'm not sure the area is sustainable for that much traffic. Would be awesome because the setting is legit with the city skyline

Related image

On 9/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, sean327 said:

That's bullshit and you know it. BYU got butthurt because Utah got the call and they didn't. They took that butthurt and tried to blow up the MWC. Revisionist history won't help you. SDSU never tried to blow up the conference with their delusions of grandeur so they get a pass. The Borg will never get a pass from the OG's on this board. I'm looking forward to watching you clowns get your asses kicked on a weekly basis in the Big-12.

No I don't know it, and until you provide a link showing BYU did just that, I will continue to give pushback against your bullshit narratives and chronic butthurt. SDSU just tried to blow up this league last month, but lets not let that get in the way of your BYU rant. Your bias is showing.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2023-08-08/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-conference-realignment-mountain-west-pac-12-aac-cbs-sports-john-david-wicker

• Haha 2

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, SteedLaw said:

The New "PAC 18":

The North:

1. Oregon State
  2. Washington State
  3. Boise State

The Mountain:

1. Utah State
  2. Colorado State
  3. Wyoming

The Southwest:

1. New Mexico
  2. UTEP
  3. Texas State

The Mojave:

1. Nevada
  2. UNLV

The Armed Forces:

1. Air Force

The Pacific:

1. SDSU
  2. SJSU
  • Nine (9) Game In-Conference Schedule:
    • Teams will schedule each member of their POD every year on a permanent basis (2 games each year).
    • Teams will schedule one (1) member of the other PODseach year on a rotating basis (5 games each year).
    • Teams will schedule two (2) other teams of one (1) other PODs each year on a rotating basis (2 games each year).
  • The conference will split half (fifty percent) of the revenue proceeds from rivalry games with existing Pod members; creating a monetary incentive for strong rivalries within each POD.

We agree we need to go to 18 but not whom: UTSA, Tulane and Memphis have to be the first 3 in.  

On 9/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, bigd said:

Not sure I agree. In his 7 years as coach he's taken them to 4 bowl games, which is as many as they had been to in the prior 35 years. 

And IMO as a mid major coach making and winning a NY6 game is the most important thing. For programs our size, that national recognition is priceless. I'd rather have constant losing seasons over a decade with one Cotton Bowl win over USC, than I would a decade of 6-8 win seasons and Potato Bowls. 

BFD.  He's a sub-.500 coach.  One good year - great.  Do it again.

Take note of their 2020 bowl.  The highlight of Fritz's tenure...until last year's spike.

And don't talk to me about 'programs our size'.  We're one of them.

image.png.7b19c17dd95beb848c7d36832dd320be.png

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

On 9/7/2023 at 10:12 AM, Jack Bauer said:

What do you guys think of this Army to the American stuff?

I wonder if that would get AFA and CSU excited to possibly jump over there.

Would be nice to lose CSU as they are an annual bottom feeder, but their hoops is decent. Air force is the opposite  atrocious hoops, and decent football.  So win one lose one.

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:12 AM, Jack Bauer said:

What do you guys think of this Army to the American stuff?

I wonder if that would get AFA and CSU excited to possibly jump over there.

Yeah, I'd imagine it would be somewhat tempting for Air Force. And while they like playing the front range schools, it seems like their mission of recruiting cadets nationally would be better served by playing in larger markets back east. 

It still seems like it would be a hard sell for CSU though, especially if the MW adds WSU and OSU. The MW is just a much better fit with regional and similar schools. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. It would definitely be a nice addition by the AAC, if they're able to replace SMU with Army. I wonder if they'd also look for another non-football member to balance basketball at 14 members, I've heard VCU mentioned.