Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/5/2023 at 7:52 PM, sactowndog said:

If you have a reverse merger you keep staff.   

Having just subscribed to the MWC network on Roku I think the possibilities of the equipment is endless.  I would think hard about a streaming TV alliance with the WCC none of which have a football team. Not to mention for some Olympic sports like Water Polo we are in the same conference.  

it will help make WCC fans MWC football fans…..

WCC just signed a contract with ESPN making ESPN+ their new digital home. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 7:49 PM, Spaztecs said:

They may be an exception.

11 other Schools would make that move and the MW would no doubt allow for OOC scheduling in Oct and Nov.

It's a win-win for the Pac-2, individual Schools, and the MW as a whole.

They would have to figure all that out as well, but I think the whole thing is as long as MWC doesn't move from 8 conference games they be fine, unless their ideas on that have changed.

On 9/5/2023 at 7:55 PM, Spaztecs said:

But, but, what about Boise ? !

What about Boise? They are on the same level just like with San Diego St, if someone wanted them they would have already been gone. No one wanted Boise, no one wanted San Diego St, no one wanted Fresno St, Utah St, UNLV, Navy, UAB, Toledo, NMSU etc

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 8:30 PM, wolfpack1 said:

They would have to figure all that out as well, but I think the whole thing is as long as MWC doesn't move from 8 conference games they be fine, unless their ideas on that have changed.

I prefer 8 conference games.  But it is getting hard on our budgets.  Its almost impossible to get power conference teams to play on the road nowdays.  We used to get IlliNois, Nebraska, Cal , Wisconsin, Oregon, and Ole Miss to come to Bulldog stadium, not anymore.  

I could live without a home game against Kent State.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 8:56 PM, CPslograd said:

I prefer 8 conference games.  But it is getting hard on our budgets.  Its almost impossible to get power conference teams to play on the road nowdays.  We used to get IlliNois, Nebraska, Cal , Wisconsin, Oregon, and Ole Miss to come to Bulldog stadium, not anymore.  

I’m starting to feel the same about 9 conference games. I’d prefer another MW program to Middle Tennessee or Troy. 
However, 9 seems tough to schedule with 14 members, where the 3/5/5 for 8 games is most logical. 9 makes most sense with 16, and a 3/6/6 schedule setup. 

• Like 3

On 9/5/2023 at 8:30 PM, wolfpack1 said:

If you expand beyond 12 you almost have to go to 9 games and OCC is going to get harder.  

On 9/5/2023 at 2:34 PM, CPslograd said:

Well, now I feel bad for my post.  

It is a trip how complicated the history of the MWC schools with each other is.  Definitely the opposite of the MAC.

Remember SDSU UNLV and New Mexico had no choice.  They were given a take it or leave it proposition by the Airport 5.  Only SDSU had some leverage they choose not to use because like always they want to set themselves apart,  

• Facepalm 1

Pac-12, Big 12 and Big 10 are already at 9 conference games, SEC and ACC will probably move up to that but I don't think they go higher even though the talking heads want 10 game conference schedules. But let's face it to ACC and SEC didn't schedule all that much out west unless was easy game like NMSU or something.

Cal and Stanford aren't going to schedule Fresno, and it has been damn near impossible to get power teams to come to G5 stadiums for decades that hasn't changed because there is to much to lose for them if they scheduled one and loss. But there are certain schools that will do schedule those games and everyone knows which schools they are so those are the schools that we went after. For example Texas Tech, Oregon St, Washington St, Missouri, Arizona etc. or a school that needed to fill a hole and we could almost dictate our terms to them like how we got Kansas in a one for one with the first one here in Reno. 

So nothing has changed with scheduling for a long time, now if those conferences go to 10 game seasons that is going to create a shift there. 

On 9/5/2023 at 9:14 PM, sactowndog said:

If you expand beyond 12 you almost have to go to 9 games and OCC is going to get harder.  

You don't have to, the SEC plays 8.  The difference is the economics of home games for them compared to us, or even the old Pac12.

On 9/5/2023 at 9:13 PM, bigd said:

I’m starting to feel the same about 9 conference games. I’d prefer another MW program to Middle Tennessee or Troy. 
However, 9 seems tough to schedule with 14 members, where the 3/5/5 for 8 games is most logical. 9 makes most sense with 16, and a 3/6/6 schedule setup. 

If they also took back that rule about letting FCS games count, you would see a lot of differences there to I think that has been more of an impact than 9 conference games. But again 9 conferences games you would still see same thing 1 Money Game away, 1 Money Game home for other team, and third game probably a home and home with someone like a Toledo, Kent St, NMSU or such.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:26 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Pac-12, Big 12 and Big 10 are already at 9 conference games, SEC and ACC will probably move up to that but I don't think they go higher even though the talking heads want 10 game conference schedules. But let's face it to ACC and SEC didn't schedule all that much out west unless was easy game like NMSU or something.

Cal and Stanford aren't going to schedule Fresno, and it has been damn near impossible to get power teams to come to G5 stadiums for decades that hasn't changed because there is to much to lose for them if they scheduled one and loss. But there are certain schools that will do schedule those games and everyone knows which schools they are so those are the schools that we went after. For example Texas Tech, Oregon St, Washington St, Missouri, Arizona etc. or a school that needed to fill a hole and we could almost dictate our terms to them like how we got Kansas in a one for one with the first one here in Reno. 

So nothing has changed with scheduling for a long time, now if those conferences go to 10 game seasons that is going to create a shift there. 

The games I referenced were ten or 15_years ago, not the distant past.  It definitely has gotten harder than it used to be.

I feel the same way. In theory, having more control over the schedule is better. But then the schedule comes out and there’s a Toledo game I don’t give a shit about, other than wanting SJSU to win it. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 7:49 PM, Spaztecs said:

They may be an exception.

11 other Schools would make that move and the MW would no doubt allow for OOC scheduling in Oct and Nov.

It's a win-win for the Pac-2, individual Schools, and the MW as a whole.

The best option for AF is independent for football with a scheduling alliance of 6-8 games which ever they prefer.  We could do the same thing with Navy.

The funny thing is the large Naval Marine bases in San Diego, Puget Sound, Hawaii, Lemore.   

the largest Air Force base is San Antonio and Eglin.  

so a cross merger with the western AAC and scheduling alliances would be good for both academies.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:27 PM, CPslograd said:

You don't have to, the SEC plays 8.  The difference is the economics of home games for them compared to us, or even the old Pac12.

They won’t play 8 for long.   Now that they have Texas and Oklahoma they will likely go to 9 and will certainly go to 9 if not 10 when they  add Florida State and Clemson.  

On 9/5/2023 at 9:30 PM, CPslograd said:

The games I referenced were ten or 15_years ago, not the distant past.  It definitely has gotten harder than it used to be.

No, it hasn't because P5 has no incentive to go to a G5 school unless TV gets involved an it has been that way since at least BCS came about. Some of the schools I listed above though has a history of doing home and home iwth G5 and those are the schools G5 will ask for home and home.

Let's look at Texas Tech do you think they are going to go out and schedule another G5 in the forseable future after what happened Saturday in Laramie and all the shit they are getting from their fans and press? I would say chances are slim. 

On 9/5/2023 at 11:39 PM, sactowndog said:

The best option for AF is independent for football with a scheduling alliance of 6-8 games which ever they prefer.  We could do the same thing with Navy.

The funny thing is the large Naval Marine bases in San Diego, Puget Sound, Hawaii, Lemore.   

the largest Air Force base is San Antonio and Eglin.  

so a cross merger with the western AAC and scheduling alliances would be good for both academies.  

AFA's FB OOC schedule is the other two academies, Sam Houston, and some dude named Robert Morris.  That's pretty typical for them.  They can handle a 9 game conference schedule no problem.  They always open with some obscure team from a DIII conference for parents weekend.  If it's that important to them, then they should keep doing it.  The MWC certainly doesn't need to cater our conference schedule to accommodate it.

On 9/5/2023 at 11:46 PM, wolfpack1 said:

No, it hasn't because P5 has no incentive to go to a G5 school unless TV gets involved an it has been that way since at least BCS came about. Some of the schools I listed above though has a history of doing home and home iwth G5 and those are the schools G5 will ask for home and home.

Let's look at Texas Tech do you think they are going to go out and schedule another G5 in the forseable future after what happened Saturday in Laramie and all the shit they are getting from their fans and press? I would say chances are slim. 

Texas Tech plays at CSU in '25, with a return game in '26.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Those games were already contracted I'm talking about new ones

They're not going to quit scheduling G5 games because they lost to Wyoming.  They may have to quit because they're in a bloated conference though.

• Like 2