Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I mean I ask questions and the only answers I get are either a remark like yours or ‘everything’, which is clearly asinine when you can just read back and see that’s not true.  I’m still operating with humility and admit when I make mistakes, everyone else just grumps at me then when it comes time for substance they back off.  

You're operating with humility, eh? Uh huh. Tell us more.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

28 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Exactly which multiple top25 teams are realistically going to the AAC if they lose UCF, Houston, and Cincy?  Are you suggesting MWC teams would still be in play at that point, or are you referring to picking teams from Sun Belt and CUSA?  

This has really been discussed ad nauseam already.  But if the aac doesn’t look west then they are well positioned to pick up others that have been strong lately.  FAU is first on the list regardless of the lack of recent success.  College of Charleston and App State are solid options.  Louisiana is another, Liberty looms as well.  All of them would compete at the highest level of the MWC.  There is room to make a very solid conference with the coming realignment and for some reason, probably salt, the MWC fans seem to underestimate the arrows that the aac has in its quiver.  

2 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

This has really been discussed ad nauseam already.  But if the aac doesn’t look west then they are well positioned to pick up others that have been strong lately.  FAU is first on the list regardless of the lack of recent success.  College of Charleston and App State are solid options.  Louisiana is another, Liberty looms as well.  All of them would compete at the highest level of the MWC.  There is room to make a very solid conference with the coming realignment and for some reason, probably salt, the MWC fans seem to underestimate the arrows that the aac has in its quiver.  

In what world are any of those top 25 teams? You're up in the night.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I mean I ask questions and the only answers I get are either a remark like yours or ‘everything’, which is clearly asinine when you can just read back and see that’s not true.  I’m still operating with humility and admit when I make mistakes, everyone else just grumps at me then when it comes time for substance they back off.  

Let's try this again:

1) You have said repeatedly that BYU would not be among the first two teams invited to the Big 12.  All national reporters who have quoted sources on the subject have said that BYU is the first choice.  Please explain why the first choice would not be among the first two teams invited.

2) You claimed that the writer for The Athletic, Max Olson (and maybe the co-author of the article last week, Andy Staples) was/is a BYU homer.  Neither reporter has any known ties to BYU.  Please explain how you believe Max and/or Andy became BYU homers.  What evidence is there of bias in favor of BYU?

• Cheers 1

College of Charleston.

A 1AA football team.

Perfect.

• Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

If true, bet OUT situation is settled by years end.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Full SI article is here:

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/09/03/big-12-expansion-byu-houston-ucf-cincinnati?__twitter_impression=true

Less than six weeks after Texas and Oklahoma announced their impending departure to the SEC, the league is poised to add four new members in a process that could culminate in one week’s time. UCF, Houston, BYU and Cincinnati are expected to apply for Big 12 membership next week and then could be approved for admission in a meeting of Big 12 presidents Sept. 10, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated.

10 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I just don't see them staying long.

None of this even seems real to me.

Leaving earlier would require an even bigger check from OUT.  The bylaws call for 18 months.  And then there's an extra year of GOR buyout.  The 2023 date is the most seamless.

And, to be honest, I am kinda hoping for 1 more trip to Austin.  :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Full SI article is here:

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/09/03/big-12-expansion-byu-houston-ucf-cincinnati?__twitter_impression=true

Less than six weeks after Texas and Oklahoma announced their impending departure to the SEC, the league is poised to add four new members in a process that could culminate in one week’s time. UCF, Houston, BYU and Cincinnati are expected to apply for Big 12 membership next week and then could be approved for admission in a meeting of Big 12 presidents Sept. 10, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated.

An interesting nugget...

With the additions, the Big 12 will retain its status as an Autonomy 5 league, college football leaders believe. The NCAA granted autonomy powers in legislative matters to the Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, ACC and Big 12, but the most important piece relates to the College Football Playoff. The Power 5 conferences hold lucrative bowl tie-ins as part of the CFP contract, which does not expire until after the 2025 season.

5 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

The L8 is on par with the P12 minus Oregon and USC. And they are certainly better then a Clemsonless ACC

True ^^^

But P12 has Oregon and USC and last I checked, Clemson is in the ACC so, L8 weak and not a threat. 

Following your projections, the L8 would be on par with the Big 12 if they had Texas and Oklahoma. :rolleyes:

Just now, SparkysDad said:

True ^^^

But P12 has Oregon and USC and last I checked, Clemson is in the ACC so, L8 weak and not a threat. 

Following your projections, the L8 would be on par with the Big 12 if they had Texas and Oklahoma. :rolleyes:

The computers benchmark the B12, ACC, and PAC nearly the same. I'll see if I can find the guy who did the analysis.

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The computers benchmark the B12, ACC, and PAC nearly the same. I'll see if I can find the guy who did the analysis.

I was being facetious in my reply to Spaztecs.

I get the point so no need to provide an analysis, but the Alliance was formed when the Big 12 was incredibly weakened by the departure of Texas and OU. The similarly-weak-before-the-OU/Texit Pac and ACC were just protecting themselves.

I honestly have no idea why the B10 agreed to become an Alliance member. You'd think they would have said no thanks and grabbed a couple of new strong programs (Clemson? Notre Dame?) to compete with the SEC, right?

3 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

I get the point so no need to provide an analysis, but the Alliance was formed when the Big 12 was incredibly weakened by the departure of Texas and OU. The similarly-weak-before-the-OU/Texit Pac and ACC were just protecting themselves.

I honestly have no idea why the B10 agreed to become an Alliance member. You'd think they would have said no thanks and grabbed a couple of new strong programs (Clemson? Notre Dame?) to compete with the SEC, right?

I don't think ND would ever join that league. 

If I was them I'd grab PAC teams if they wanted to raid someone. Clemson seems much more suited for the SEC

4 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

The Big 10 doesnt need to grab anybody to compete.  They make more money per team than the SEC.  By a sizable amount.

And Clemson and ND arent available for about 15 years anyways.