Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

31 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

:)  oh I put in a wink

I do expect BYU to join a reformed BIG 12 though in 2022 or 2023.  With so many scheduling alliances being talked about an indy schedule might get tougher to have the P5 games.   but who knows

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Why would they even need to vote on such a thing…

The PAC 12 presidents had to talk about their willingness to converse with potentially drawly sounding rubes. I mean really, send our athletes to TX? Also needed clarification on California laws regarding travel to Texas or Oklahoma  or if they will acknowledge people with differing viewpoints on things exist. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

43 minutes ago, lobo-tomy said:

The PAC 12 presidents had to talk about their willingness to converse with potentially drawly sounding rubes. I mean really, send our athletes to TX? Also needed clarification on California laws regarding travel to Texas or Oklahoma  or if they will acknowledge people with differing viewpoints on things exist. 

Cal is playing TCU next month in FW, and their baseball team played a series here in 2019.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:47 PM, RSF said:

Here's what I THINK is going to happen...but I reserve the right to change my mind as soon as I'm wrong.

1) UT and OU will negotiate to get out and join the SEC starting July 1st, 2023. That number will be in the 125-160 million range.
2) The next day ESPN will announce LHN is shutting down effective June 30th, 2023.
3) Since the Big 12 TV deal requires 10 teams to get full payment, the Big 12 will announce that they are inviting 2 new schools, effective July 1st, 2023. Those schools will get half shares for the 2 years remaining on the contract, and the Big 12 will help fund their exit fees to facilitate an early exit. The AAC requires 27 months, and I think those 2 teams will be Cincinnati and Memphis. Decent to good in both football and basketball, and they help bridge the geographical gap with West Virginia.
4) Sometime before July 1st, 2025, Fox, ESPN (yes, I believe they will stay involved) and the Big 12 will announce a new deal that will be worth 13 to 15 million per year per school, with a moderately increased presence on ESPN+. ESPN's continued participation is due in no small part to this continuing to be a badass basketball conference.  The conference will also announce they will consider adding 2-4 additional teams under the same terms as the previous additions.
5) The AAC and ESPN will announce that a new TV deal has been renegotiated. But they will be noticeably quiet on the details.

I don't see any glaring problems with these prognostications.

7 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

He's only the worst commish because a major power decided to move against his conference. That's basically what I'm saying...the truly powerful simply bide their time, then execute big decisions that give themselves more power.  And the "little guys", obviously including some of the P5 programs, can't do much about it.

If he was worthwhile he would have addressed this back in 2016.  He’s a victim of inaction.  Also less importantly he’s  openly hypocritical and lacks awareness but that tends to happen when you’re a fatcat.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billings said:

I do expect BYU to join a reformed BIG 12 though in 2022 or 2023.  With so many scheduling alliances being talked about an indy schedule might get tougher to have the P5 games.   but who knows

I agree Indy scheduling is going to become tougher but don’t think there’s much interest in BYU.  If there was it would’ve happened years ago.  They aren’t getting mentioned except from sources tied to byu.  No central players from the big12 have mentioned them.  KSU led the expansion committee and BYU wasn’t on their report.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, RSF said:

Cal is playing TCU next month in FW, and their baseball team played a series here in 2019.

SDSU has similarly avoided that silly state law by simply covering the cost of travel with private funds rather than income tax money funneled to it.

Therefore, to use Rebel18's term, people who think that law would ban SDSU from ever considering B12 membership are based.

12 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I agree Indy scheduling is going to become tougher but don’t think there’s much interest in BYU.  If there was it would’ve happened years ago.  They aren’t getting mentioned except from sources tied to byu.  No central players from the big12 have mentioned them.  KSU led the expansion committee and BYU wasn’t on their report.

Because Texas and OU said no

2 hours ago, Billings said:

Agreed

If they start tying up marquee games, BYU may have some tough times ahead given their choices. 

I've always been a "be in a conference" guy. I get why they went indy, but it may not make sense going forward.

• Like 1

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

Agreed

If they start tying up marquee games, BYU may have some tough times ahead given their choices. 

I've always been a "be in a conference" guy. I get why they went indy, but it may not make sense going forward.

Honestly, a rebuilt BigXII isn't ideal but it will be by far the best conference BYU will have ever been a part of.  I hope it happens.

• Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

6 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Honestly, a rebuilt BigXII isn't ideal but it will be by far the best conference BYU will have ever been a part of.  I hope it happens.

I’m rooting for you guys to end up to end up there. BYU has been one of those schools I pull for ever since my brief stint living in Utah growing up. 

4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

I don't think those clowns will ever manage to stick together long enough, WVU is looking to joint the ACC and you know Kansas has some feelers out. I'm sure the Texas schools think they're going to the PAC. 

What they should be doing is sticking together and collecting 25 million each from Texas and OU

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

8 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I don't think those clowns will ever manage to stick together long enough, WVU is looking to joint the ACC and you know Kansas has some feelers out. I'm sure the Texas schools think they're going to the PAC. 

What they should be doing is sticking together and collecting 25 million each from Texas and OU

I’m not convinced anyone is interested in the leftovers - especially when it comes to the ACC and WVU.

v0icAvfW.jpg

5 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’m not convinced anyone is interested in the leftovers - especially when it comes to the ACC and WVU.

I think WVU has a pretty good program, probably the third or fourth best in the Big 12 when it had 10 teams. OU, OKU, and probably TCU better over their time in the Big 12, but I think they're decent. For sure better over the last decade than the rest of those teams. Maybe an argument for Baylor when they were raping the whole campus and whatnot

21 hours ago, since1670 said:

https://pac-12.com/mens-swimming-diving/event/2021/02/28/pac-12-championships-day-1

Pac-12 Championships - Day 1 at the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center - University of Houston in Houston

image.png.9f84ba052319cb70f565f7b930a7296f.png

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

A look at what's ahead for the Big 12 with departures of Texas, Oklahoma shaking up the conference

Is a merger with the Pac-12 or AAC inevitable if the Big 12 sticks together?

Dennis Dodd

20 hrs ago6 min read

big-12-baylor-field-logo.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/a-look-at-whats-ahead-for-the-big-12-with-departures-of-texas-oklahoma-shaking-up-the-conference/

6 hours ago, wolf from 73 said:

Not sure if this video has been posted on this thread but this YouTuber gives the best assessment of the current realignment that I have heard to date. Check it our starting at the 7:15 mark is where he gets into the most likely scenario that will affect G-5 schools.

It picks up in a bad place IMO, autonomy status is coming to the aac so that’s not a factor and I know for a fact his last points about the current big12 schools picking the schools he mentioned aren’t on the table anyway.  It’s just some guys opinion but it doesn’t have much if any outside information incorporated.  Theres only two things the current big12 has over aac: short term money; judging from the big12 history-that’s all that matters to them.  But that’s also what got them into this mess.  The other is the length/terms of the aac deal; it’s a blessing that stabilizes the aac over the rest of the have-nots but is self limiting.  That said, the top two products in the aac are more worthwhile than the leftover8 and espn won’t get outbid, the moment one of them gets offered by another conference espn will open renegotiations and that’s going to be what kills the Big12, unless a new partner ( Amazon, Netflix, etc) steps in.  I also feel like his budgeting doesn’t look at all the schools equally.  The aac schools would have much higher budgets if they were elevated, and if anything, it should be a testament to those schools for accomplishing more than the leftover 8 with so much less easy money.  

• Haha 4