Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Seems to me that other than Kansas, there isn't a single B12 leftover which would bring the AAC additional national visibility and KU ain't going to the AAC. For one thing, it's doubtful the state legislature would let KU leave KSU unless it was for the B1G or the Pac.

Given WVU's location and Cincinnati's quality in both football and basketball, stealing the Bearcats from the AAC would be, at minimum, an even trade for any of the other B12 7.

Kansas football sucks. No way any P5 , well now P4, would take them

8 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

Aresco's a pimp.  He could've never out-fought Bowlsby, but I didn't know until this day that it was ESPN all along.

Best post of the first 99 pages.

• Like 2

Question for San Diego posters...  Has there been any word or comment at all from the San Diego media?  Anything from the basketball guy?  He was always good with information.  I think his name started with a Z or something?  

23 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

Kansas football sucks. No way any P5 , well now P4, would take them

Just spitballing here.

If I was Craig Thompson (and thank god I'm not), right now I'd be considering getting on the horn to the president of Gonzaga and inquiring what it might take to get the Zags to again consider MWC membership if Thompson could get Kansas to consider joining if Gonzaga would also do so.

Of course, it would probably require the conference allowing member schools to retain their tier 3 broadcast rights and getting the TV partners to substantially increase the amount of money they pay but adding those two basketball heavyweights would warrant that and be the kind of coup that Aresco could only dream of pulling off.

Btw, it occurred to me after seeing this: 

7 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

Question for San Diego posters...  Has there been any word or comment at all from the San Diego media?  Anything from the basketball guy?  He was always good with information.  I think his name started with a Z or something?  

Mark Zeigler and I don't know. About a year ago the SDUT changed its internet policy to require non-locals like me to get a subscription and I'm just not that interested in what Ziggy has to say.

8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Ideal scenario for me is Big 12 adds Houston, Cincy, Memphis, and BYU or SMU. UCF can stay in the AAC, because it’s so awesome. 

Adding the 6th and 7th best teams in Texas to the 3rd, 4th and 5th best Texas teams doesn't make much sense to me. Why would a network pay extra for them? 

3 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Adding the 6th and 7th best teams in Texas to the 3rd, 4th and 5th best Texas teams doesn't make much sense to me. Why would a network pay extra for them? 

Don’t know, don’t care. It will be the best case scenario for the MWC so that’s why I hope it happens.

This should put things at ease here. I'm convinced there will be no movement in the Big 12, AAC, or MWC til after this football season. But when all of these conferences are playing 9 game conference schedules, then there will be 4-6 teams get the call up. Til then, aside from the SEC and OU, UT drama. This is all done.

IMG_20210729_182340.jpg

23 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Just spitballing here.

If I was Craig Thompson (and thank god I'm not), right now I'd be considering getting on the horn to the president of Gonzaga and inquiring what it might take to get the Zags to again consider MWC membership if Thompson could get Kansas to consider joining if Gonzaga would also do so.

Of course, it would probably require the conference allowing member schools to retain their tier 3 broadcast rights and getting the TV partners to substantially increase the amount of money they pay but adding those two basketball heavyweights would warrant that and be the kind of coup that Aresco could only dream of pulling off.

Btw, it occurred to me after seeing this: 

IF this happens, (It won't) I'd call Gonzaga, BYU, and Wichita State for basketball only.

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Don’t know, don’t care. It will be the best case scenario for the MWC so that’s why I hope it happens.

But why do you prefer this? I must of missed it.  Are you just wanting the MWC to stay together?

Just now, Ibanez said:

But why do you prefer this? I must of missed it.  Are you just wanting the MWC to stay together?

Well that was a little tongue in cheek, that exact scenario with SMU over UCF was just so @Did I hear a WOOSH?would look silly, but it would still be an ok outcome if the MWC is left with status quo and the AAC is weakened. But the actual best case scenario would be the Big 12 refusing to invite Houston and SMU and expanding East, leaving the MWC to pick them up instead. 

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

Well that was a little tongue in cheek, that exact scenario with SMU over UCF was just so @Did I hear a WOOSH?would look silly, but it would still be an ok outcome if the MWC is left with status quo and the AAC is weakened. But the actual best case scenario would be the Big 12 refusing to invite Houston and SMU and expanding East, leaving the MWC to pick them up instead. 

Gotcha and that makes sense. Cincy, UCF, USF, And BYU are probably their top targets.

9 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I see.  Not to fret. I don't see the  R8 Conference as attractive to SDSU at least. No stability. Every Remainer would be looking to pull the rip cord first chance.

We should add Baylor, OK St, TT,  Kansas and ISU.

36 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

Mark Zeigler (@sdutzeigler) - He seems to be in Japan covering the Olympics. 

45 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

JD was on one of the local sports talk shows. Said all the pro forma stuff. Everybody is focused on the Padres.

Texas college football doesn't register here.

26 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This should put things at ease here. I'm convinced there will be no movement in the Big 12, AAC, or MWC til after this football season. But when all of these conferences are playing 9 game conference schedules, then there will be 4-6 teams get the call up. Til then, aside from the SEC and OU, UT drama. This is all done.

IMG_20210729_182340.jpg

Multiple talking heads are, and have been, saying the BIG was not really interested in expansion nor was the PAC.   They will announce a scheduling deal soon to enhance the TV contract with better games.  This will wipe out or at least greatly reduce FCS games.  Especially with the PAC as they need the TV money and upgrading the schedule to include other P5 is the easiest route to do that.

If the Big 12 survives, then I agree they will add at least 4 from the AAC and /or MWC,  Throw BYU in for giggles

UCF and BYU are really the only two targets I think are a shoe in for a Weakened Big 12 invite.

If OU/UT negotiates a deal to move in '22, then the Big 12 will grab 2 quickly.  They need to stay at 10.  So things are not done yet.

12 minutes ago, Billings said:

Multiple talking heads are, and have been, saying the BIG was not really interested in expansion nor was the PAC.   They will announce a scheduling deal soon to enhance the TV contract with better games.

This makes the most sense to me. Schedule OOC games against each other along with a few more bowl matchups. What the PAC needs to do first though is turn the PAC-12 Network over to FOX.

2 minutes ago, azgreg said:

This makes the most sense to me. Schedule OOC games against each other along with a few more bowl matchups. What the PAC needs to do first though is turn the PAC-12 Network over to FOX.

They announced that scheduling partnership almost a decade ago, and I never understood why they scrapped it. It’s a smart idea.

28 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I see.  Not to fret. I don't see the  R8 Conference as attractive to SDSU at least. No stability. Every Remainer would be looking to pull the rip cord first chance.

We should add Baylor, OK St, TT,  Kansas and ISU.

And that would be different than the MWC, how?