Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 3/27/2024 at 7:23 PM, RSF said:

A mediocre school, a lousy athletic program, an undersized and apathetic fan base, in a market where UT dominates all.

Biggest name in San Marcos.  That's a good one.

And there multiple state school systems that 'represent' the whole state.  With the Texas State system comprised of the leftovers.  It doesnt even have a flagship.

And its not a young brand.  Been around 125 years.  Used to be a directional school until they dropped the 'Southwest' from their name in a failed attempt to burnish their image.

Other than that...

Most people tuning in on the boob tube outside of Texas will have no clue. They’ll just see the name Texas State in the MW. 

On 3/27/2024 at 3:10 PM, SteedLaw said:

I have been saying for a while now that if we are heading into Texas (and I think we should), then Texas State arguably makes more sense that either UTSA, RICE, or UNT. 

UTEP is less sexy, but has both rivalry and connectivity. 

Either way, I think both schools would likely consider a protracted buy-in of sorts over a period of, say, four years. And, long term, I think there is synergy there. 

Over time, I have come to the realization that anything east of the state of Texas is just too far. We need to keep our regionality for all practical and branding purposes. 

I agree that with your conclusion that when you consider all the facts that UTEP makes sense.  Although the present status of the Sun Bowl game doesn't involve UTEP's conference affiliate the long term the tradition of that game would be great to add to the Mountain West's affiliation just like the Holiday Bowl.

Personally I think if the MW acce[ts UTEP then  New Mexico State (a land grant instituiton like OSU, WSU, USU, Wyoming, Hawaii, Nevada, and Colorado State) is the next best because at sixteen schools in a 2 permanent with six rotating games scheduling structure to deal with the Lobos and UTEP you either have to split up Air Force, Colorado State and Wyoming, make Hawai'i the annual rivalry, or accept New Mexico State. 

New Mexico State is the least bad option of all the potential 16th members.

Personally I think staying in the mountain time zone makes the most sense for the MW and so all the other potential schools on Central time just don't make logistical sense.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:03 PM, Bruininthebay said:

I agree that with your conclusion that when you consider all the facts that UTEP makes sense.  Although the present status of the Sun Bowl game doesn't involve UTEP's conference affiliate the long term the tradition of that game would be great to add to the Mountain West's affiliation just like the Holiday Bowl.

Personally I think if the MW acce[ts UTEP then  New Mexico State (a land grant instituiton like OSU, WSU, USU, Wyoming, Hawaii, Nevada, and Colorado State) is the next best because at sixteen schools in a 2 permanent with six rotating games scheduling structure to deal with the Lobos and UTEP you either have to split up Air Force, Colorado State and Wyoming, make Hawai'i the annual rivalry, or accept New Mexico State. 

New Mexico State is the least bad option of all the potential 16th members.

Personally I think staying in the mountain time zone makes the most sense for the MW and so all the other potential schools on Central time just don't make logistical sense.

Coastal folks are always in love with shoving UTEP and NMSU down the throats of the Mountain folks.  Just stop.  We don't want 'em.  UTEP may be technically in Texas, but face it, they're in New Mexico.  NMSU is definitely in New Mexico.  Have you looked at New Mexico demographics lately?  UNM handles that state just fine, no need to add more mouths down there.  I have more interest in Scott City CC than those two.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:02 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

I came close to including the Montanas in my suggested list of expansion targets.  I actually like them as geographically sensible additions to the MWC.  They fit institutionally, they have a good rivalry going and they fill their stadiums.  However they're in a sparsely populated market and so adding them is unlikely to help the conference increase its per-member TV revenue.

I'd love for both Montana and MSU to be added to get to 16, but as you said the reality is current FBS programs in markets that would contribute to the new TV deal will take priority.