Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 5/23/2023 at 10:22 AM, Bob said:

Is the "Honor Code" even a thing anymore? I see BYU players that are all tatted up like felons and have long nasty hair like so many kids are wont to do nowadays.

C2AIvH6h_400x400.jpg

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:55 PM, AztecSU said:

It would be interesting to tally all the bowl-eligible mid-major D1 schools from the 70's and 80's that didn't get bowl invites. It was pretty bad back then. 

Just a quick look at MW schools, here are some noteworthy teams that didn't play in bowls. And this isn't even mentioning how much better polls are for mid-majors. Anyone with 2 losses or less will be ranked these days, the teams listed below other than 1977 SDSU weren't ranked or invited to bowls:

1977 #16 San Diego State (10-1): Beat 13th ranked Florida State 41-16 and finished the year 16th in the AP Poll. 

1977 Colorado State (9-2-1): Beat 12th ranked Arizona State 25-14

1973 San Diego State(9-1-1): Only loss was by to 5 to Houston that finished in the top 10. 

1982 New Mexico(10-1)

1981 Hawaii(9-2)

1975 San Jose State(9-2)

1977 Fresno State(9-2)

• Cheers 1

On 5/24/2023 at 1:24 PM, RSF said:

Hopefully Pitt, Wake, etc win the conference for the next few years so the whiners in that conf get even further behind.  Looking at you Miami.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 10:48 AM, bigd said:

Just a quick look at MW schools, here are some noteworthy teams that didn't play in bowls. And this isn't even mentioning how much better polls are for mid-majors. Anyone with 2 losses or less will be ranked these days, the teams listed below other than 1977 SDSU weren't ranked or invited to bowls:

1977 #16 San Diego State (10-1): Beat 13th ranked Florida State 41-16 and finished the year 16th in the AP Poll. 

1977 Colorado State (9-2-1): Beat 12th ranked Arizona State 25-14

1973 San Diego State(9-1-1): Only loss was by to 5 to Houston that finished in the top 10. 

1982 New Mexico(10-1)

1981 Hawaii(9-2)

1975 San Jose State(9-2)

1977 Fresno State(9-2)

1996 Wyoming.  10-2.  Only losses SDSU and #6 BYU in the WAC Title Game.  

• Like 5

On 5/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Hopefully Pitt, Wake, etc win the conference for the next few years so the whiners in that conf get even further behind.  Looking at you Miami.

Speaking of whining, I give it two years before other B12 schools and B12 fans are calling for UCF and Houston to be tossed from the B12.

Things like "Why were these losers ever added, they add nothing?" "We don't feel safe at all traveling to Houston", "Both my kids got a tape worm parasite from the food in Houston" "Orlando is cool for Disneyland, but UCF's shitty, rusty stadium is not safe for this weird bounce routine they do with the 5K fans that made it to the game" "Their stadium doesn't have restrooms, so the locals just pee in a corner."

On 5/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, Wyobraska said:

Meh, more of the same, IMO. Media guys looking for clicks most likely and unverified sources. Just like the others. Could there be changes? Sure. Let's see it, not talk about it more(I'm saying in general, not you).

But. If CU is crying about money, I have to laugh. They have basically added zero to PAC 12 $ coffers since they joined. Other than a few NCAA credits, they've done nothing.  They don't hit the radar on TV ratings for increased media contracts. They don't add Bowl revenue and most importantly, they bring down the image and SOS of the conference.  They are supposed to be Utah's rival? Hardly.

So other than not wanting to go below 10 established schools, screw them if they want to leave. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, utenation said:

Meh, more of the same, IMO. Media guys looking for clicks most likely and unverified sources. Just like the others. Could there be changes? Sure. Let's see it, not talk about it more(I'm saying in general, not you).

But. If CU is crying about money, I have to laugh. They have basically added zero to PAC 12 $ coffers since they joined. Other than a few NCAA credits, they've done zero.  They don't hit the radar on TV ratings for increased media contracts. They don't add Bowl revenue and most importantly, they bring down the image and SOS of the conference. 

So other than not wanting to go below 10 established schools, screw them if they want to leave. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

If they want to leave, could they really be letting Neon drive the bus on this?  Sad and pathetic if they're letting the football coach (who will clearly be out the door if a blueblood calls) making such momentous decisions.  After all, they had wanted to be part of a California centric conference for decades.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, RebelAlliance said:

If they want to leave, could they really be letting Neon drive the bus on this?  Sad and pathetic if they're letting the football coach (who will clearly be out the door if a blueblood calls) making such momentous decisions.  After all, they had wanted to be part of a California centric conference for decades.  

I thought the same thing about Prime with this. 

CU is basically a Rocky Mountains version of Cal. Excellent academics with a mismanaged athletic department. Erratic at best hoops and in the case of CU, a football program whose claim to fame was sharing the mythical NC under the Magic Christian, Bill McCartney, who won by condoning the Buff Backers booster club providing prostitutes for stud recruits like murderer Rae Carruth.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

CU is basically a Rocky Mountains version of Cal. Excellent academics with a mismanaged athletic department. Erratic at best hoops and in the case of CU, a football program whose claim to fame was sharing the mythical NC under the Magic Christian, Bill McCartney, who won by condoning the Buff Backers booster club providing prostitutes for stud recruits like murderer Rae Carruth.

They've had 1 good year in PAC football. 2016. Which obviously was a 1 off their normal and consistent anchor profile.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, utenation said:

But. If CU is crying about money, I have to laugh. They have basically added zero to PAC 12 $ coffers since they joined. Other than a few NCAA credits, they've done nothing.  They don't hit the radar on TV ratings for increased media contracts. They don't add Bowl revenue and most importantly, they bring down the image and SOS of the conference.  They are supposed to be Utah's rival? Hardly.

Plus I think Tramel admitted that his source was a Big 12 football coach, likely Gundy from OSU. I don’t think it’s super credible.

Im sure both CU and Arizona are just waiting to see the media contract and going from there.

On 5/25/2023 at 10:44 AM, Wyobraska said:

1996 Wyoming.  10-2.  Only losses SDSU and #6 BYU in the WAC Title Game.  

Yeah that’s the most glaring example, I was just including the 70s and 80s though.

I wasn’t around, was Utah chosen for the Copper Bowl just for attendance reasons? Was Wyoming considered for the Cotton Bowl after beating BYU?

• Like 1

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/taste-houston/

Houston has a wide variety of restaurants. I have eaten at Mexican restaurants in Seattle, LA, and Phoenix. Houston has the best Tex-Mex in the World and second choice is far away.

The Cajun food is great.

Strange kids had problems. I went to Houston in 1953. None of my family have ever had a problem in Houston restaurants.

Few places in the World can match the variety. I have dined in New York,  London, Paris, and Rome. Houston beats them by far.

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, since1670 said:

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/taste-houston/

Houston has a wide variety of restaurants. I have eaten at Mexican restaurants in Seattle, LA, and Phoenix. Houston has the best Tex-Mex in the World and second choice is far away.

The Cajun food is great.

Strange kids had problems. I went to Houston in 1953. None of my family have ever had a problem in Houston restaurants.

Few places in the World can match the variety. I have dined in New York,  London, Paris, and Rome. Houston beats them by far.

LOL. The Houston thing is mostly a joke for some other Houston knuckleheads. @Cougar King wanted to run down MTN West States a few months ago.. So he got a mouth full in return.

@RSF has mentioned some recent terrible Houston is a shithole stories with examples and I'm pretty sure he considers Houston not part of the Big T.. 

On 5/25/2023 at 1:32 PM, Pelado said:

That's the one that came to mind for me.

I'm not bitter about that one at all.

It's not like I drove from Laramie to Vegas for the WAC title game.

It's not like we had a five point lead with under a minute left.

It's not like we took an intentional safety to allow a field goal to tie the game.

It's not like Purdue took our coach and our prized QB recruit (Drew Brees) that offseason.

It's not like we hired Dana Dimmel who immediately got drunk and screwed a Laramie Barfly (In public on a pool table) the week he was hired.  

Nope none of that happened.....

Also 10-2 team ranked in top 25, with an OT loss to a top 5 team, in no way deserves to go to a bowl game.

Nope no bitterness here whatsoever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, utenation said:

@RSF has mentioned some recent terrible Houston is a shithole stories with examples and I'm pretty sure he considers Houston not part of the Big T.. 

Most of Texas doesnt like to consider Houston part of Texas.  I just came to realize why when I moved here.  Talk about anything shitty about Houston, and the response is 'yeah, but the food is great'.  As we have seen.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.