Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/soccer/story/2023-05-06/major-league-soccer-mls-san-diego-expansion-franchise-snapdragon-stadium-sycuan-mansour-group

Never forget, that there were supposed SDSU fans that believed the only way SDSU would get a stadium is if they rented from an investment company, masquerading as soccer owners. It was the most fascinating time to be an Aztec fan.

The best part is, Little Lanny will now play second fiddle in the sport he thinks he is King in.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:56 AM, Spaztecs said:

Many on the AM believe it will stop @Yoda

Nice try.  The admin who locked it down made clear that it was a response to some snarky and insulting posts.  So not me -- I'm a  polite little angel.

____________________________________________...

After deleting some of my posts and closing the offending SteveAztec thread, a couple of elites have been able to open it long enough to respond to me anyway.  And since I can’t respond on a closed thread, here is my response…

Other than the initial inquiry, this has never been about letting Steve post again; I doubt that he even wants to post here.  My complaint is about his treatment on this board and the failure of admins to control attacks on him – and worse, to sometimes participate in those attacks.

Steve was first banned on the SDSU board.  When he was banned, it was a sufficiently controversial that they started what became an 8 page thread on the topic to justify the decision (https://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/9747/steve-aztec-longer-member-board).  It is clear that Steve had support in the community and there was some criticism for the Board Administrators for having failed to “expel the dozens of people who've been taunting him.”  (And take a look at the thread that I bumped; initially it was supporters happy about Steve getting a radio show.  Then the haters arrived.)

I can’t say if Steve took it too far in response, but I will say that he denies most of various accusations and adds important missing context to others.  But I wasn’t a party to any of the events and can’t say who is in the right and who is in the wrong.  And I have to admit that if half of what has been said about him is true, depending on context, I might well have banned him too.  Or more likely I might have banned those who were taunting him.  (Steve had lost a brother-in-law to suicide and there have been a number of memes of people blowing their brains out, as well as posts blaming Steve or his sister for the suicide – and admins apparently let it go.)

I am in no position to evaluate the truth or falsity of the laundry list of claims made on this board about how Steve responded to all this.  My complaint, however, is about his treatment on this board.  I may be wrong, but his banning on this board at least appears to have been less about what he did on this board and more a carryover from the SDSU banning.  The same taunting continued – more suicide memes – apparently ignored by the admins. Utenation supposedly posted the first and it is explained away because he didn’t know about the suicide.  But was the post taken down?  Was an apology issued?   Indeed, for years, admins on this board have allowed Steve to be vilified based on little more than anecdotal hearsay.  This is a privately owned board, but it is not a private board – anyone can join.  And more than that, It’s not an anonymous board; people know who Steve.  You have a duty to protect your posters from libelous statements and unproven allegations -- especially when, having been banned themselves, they have no ability to defend themselves.

Even Retrofade (who says he’s not a mod but can post to closed threads) put up a “blowing his brains out” meme several years ago.  He knew that Steve lost his brother-in-law to suicide, and he now says that “Steve is a mentally disturbed individual”, which is libelous by the way, but excuses his meme as nothing more than being in “poor taste”.  Apparently it is okay with the board's current admins to taunt a "mentally disturbed person" because the post has never been taken down.  The poster has never been admonished.  And there has been no apology, unless you consider "he deserved it" to be an apology.

In my view, you owe Steve an apology for the treatment that you have tolerated and, in some cases, engaged in.  A former Aztec board went out of business when sued (not by Steve).  It won’t be the last one.  You need to fix this.  You need to administer your board and prevent libelous and incendiary attacks -- hearsay-- on posters. 

On 5/6/2023 at 6:02 AM, Spaztecs said:

There is definitely a crowd over there that only wants to hear that SUDS is in the PAC. It's a done deal.

@Yoda throws a little water onto their smores bbq and they lose their mind.

They refuse to hear about any possibility that SDSU doesn't get the call up or that Fresno may go to the New 12.  

For awhile,  I thought yoda was being the master troll. Now, I think he believes and has been pushing the narrative that Fresno is moving East and SDSU will be riding their coat tails into the New12.

I think that Fresno gets an invitation to the Big 12, but I also think that SDSU gets a bid to the PAC.  But I also believe that Arizona and possibly one or two other PAC schools bolt for the Big 12.  So SDSU, if they get invited to the PAC won't be joining a PAC 12, and won't be joining a PAC 10, and might joining a PAC 7 -- with 2 to 4 of that PAC 7 already packed and waiting for a callup elsewhere..

• Like 1

After deleting some of my posts and closing the offending SteveAztec thread, a couple of elites have been able to open it long enough to respond to me anyway.  And since I can’t respond on a closed thread, here is my response…

Other than the initial inquiry, this has never been about letting Steve post again; I doubt that he even wants to post here.  My complaint is about his treatment on this board and the failure of admins to control attacks on him – and worse, to sometimes participate in those attacks.

Steve was first banned on the SDSU board.  When he was banned, it was a sufficiently controversial that they started what became an 8 page thread on the topic to justify the decision (https://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/9747/steve-aztec-longer-member-board).  It is clear that Steve had support in the community and there was some criticism for the Board Administrators for having failed to “expel the dozens of people who've been taunting him.”  (And take a look at the thread that I bumped; initially it was supporters happy about Steve getting a radio show.  Then the haters arrived.)

I can’t say if Steve took it too far in response, but I will say that he denies most of various accusations and adds important missing context to others.  But I wasn’t a party to any of the events and can’t say who is in the right and who is in the wrong.  And I have to admit that if half of what has been said about him is true, depending on context, I might well have banned him too.  Or more likely I might have banned those who were taunting him.  (Steve had lost a brother-in-law to suicide and there have been a number of memes of people blowing their brains out, as well as posts blaming Steve or his sister for the suicide – and admins apparently let it go.)

I am in no position to evaluate the truth or falsity of the laundry list of claims made on this board about how Steve responded to all this.  My complaint, however, is about his treatment on this board.  I may be wrong, but his banning on this board at least appears to have been less about what he did on this board and more a carryover from the SDSU banning.  The same taunting continued – more suicide memes – apparently ignored by the admins. Utenation supposedly posted the first and it is explained away because he didn’t know about the suicide.  But was the post taken down?  Was an apology issued?   Indeed, for years, admins on this board have allowed Steve to be vilified based on little more than anecdotal hearsay.  This is a privately owned board, but it is not a private board – anyone can join.  And more than that, It’s not an anonymous board; people know who Steve.  You have a duty to protect your posters from libelous statements and unproven allegations -- especially when, having been banned themselves, they have no ability to defend themselves.

Even Retrofade (who says he’s not a mod but can post to closed threads) put up a “blowing his brains out” meme several years ago.  He knew that Steve lost his brother-in-law to suicide, and he now says that “Steve is a mentally disturbed individual”, which is libelous by the way, but excuses his meme as nothing more than being in “poor taste”.  Apparently it is okay with the board's current admins to taunt a "mentally disturbed person" because the post has never been taken down.  The poster has never been admonished.  And there has been no apology, unless you consider "he deserved it" to be an apology.

In my view, you owe Steve an apology for the treatment that you have tolerated and, in some cases, engaged in.  A former Aztec board went out of business when sued (not by Steve).  It won’t be the last one.  You need to fix this.  You need to administer your board and prevent libelous and incendiary attacks -- hearsay-- on posters. 

On 5/6/2023 at 7:20 PM, AztecSU said:

Tortilla tossing after every goal confirmed :ph34r:

On 5/6/2023 at 11:24 PM, Yoda said:

I think that Fresno gets an invitation to the Big 12, but I also think that SDSU gets a bid to the PAC.  But I also believe that Arizona and possibly one or two other PAC schools bolt for the Big 12.  So SDSU, if they get invited to the PAC won't be joining a PAC 12, and won't be joining a PAC 10, and might joining a PAC 7 -- with 2 to 4 of that PAC 7 already packed and waiting for a callup elsewhere..

This seems spot on. I remember last June when all the Houston, BYU and UCF fans here went on and on about the P12 moving trucks already being packed up and the ink was still wet from their B12 contracts they just signed.  Oregon and Washington already signed B10 contracts too. 

Here we are a year later. I sure hope they turned off the trucks because that’s a lot of gas wasted sitting at idle in the driveways for a year.  

Since the PAC will be responsible for production costs with the new deal and some posters here got all giddy at the thought of that bringing down the AAC, it seems relevant to post the total production costs for the aac for the ‘22-‘23 year.  $588,889.  That came out to just under 50k/school last year.  Clearly not the doomsday some were hoping for but good news for the PAC moving forward.

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2023 at 7:38 AM, utenation said:

This seems spot on. I remember last June when all the Houston, BYU and UCF fans here went on and on about the P12 moving trucks already being packed up and the ink was still wet from their B12 contracts they just signed.  Oregon and Washington already signed B10 contracts too. 

Here we are a year later. I sure hope they turned off the trucks because that’s a lot of gas wasted sitting at idle in the driveways for a year.  

You were definitely a Blockbuster executive at one point, which is fitting considering the demise of the PAC is much like watching Blockbuster go down.  

• Like 1

Other numbers from ‘22-‘23 year:

bball only Wichita State 2.4 mil distribution 

Fb only Navy 6.3 mil distribution 

South Florida 7.7 mil distribution 

everyone else over 8 mil distribution.  

numbers are increasing on average by about 2mil/year for the duration of the remainder of contract, unless you make playoff..Cincy made nearly 12 mil in distributions last year.  By 2026 an AAC team in the playoffs will be pulling ~20 mil/year.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

Not likely but the world is filled with possibilities.  And considering I don't know the future I'll say your scenario is possible.

I do continue to wonder why all of these schools who are going to bolt from the P12 to these other conferences are still waiting to do so. I mean if it's so clear that this is going to happen, what's the hold up?  

My thought is the P12 will be fine for at least the next 5-10 years.  If in fact that is incorrect and the p12 dissolves there will certainly be too many moving parts to really determine what things might look like.  I do however expect that if the Socal market is viewed as desirable to the media... and I said if... then really the best option out there probably is SDSU and not Fresno.  But that's just an opinion.

On 5/7/2023 at 3:06 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You were definitely a Blockbuster executive at one point, which is fitting considering the demise of the PAC is much like watching Blockbuster go down.  

Woosh. I grinded you to sawdust just a bit ago. I’m surprised you can still walk. 

Don’t embarrass yourself again. I’m not sure your kids need to see their dad turned into a pretzel again.   

Yikes. Just walk away. 

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:46 AM, utenation said:

Jeebus. So @Yoda is personally trying to bring down a board? 

Relax buddy. You should be traveling the country in your pimp RV enjoying yourself at your age . Not trying to start fist fights in Down Town SD. 

@Yoda’s success on AM should easily win him the MWCboard Troll Derby

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 6:46 AM, Someone Else said:

I do however expect that if the Socal market is viewed as desirable to the media... and I said if... then really the best option out there probably is SDSU and not Fresno.  But that's just an opinion.

True, as far as you go.  But the SoCal market is only part of the equation.  Fresno captures a smaller part of the SoCal market than SDSU does.  But Fresno not only has a presence in the SoCal market but is dominant in the CentCal market -- meaning the Central Coast and the San Joaquin Valley -- where San Diego State has virtually no presence at all.  Overall, Fresno's market is larger than is SDSU's.

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2023 at 2:08 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Since the PAC will be responsible for production costs with the new deal and some posters here got all giddy at the thought of that bringing down the AAC, it seems relevant to post the total production costs for the aac for the ‘22-‘23 year.  $588,889.  That came out to just under 50k/school last year.  Clearly not the doomsday some were hoping for but good news for the PAC moving forward.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:14 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Other numbers from ‘22-‘23 year:

bball only Wichita State 2.4 mil distribution 

Fb only Navy 6.3 mil distribution 

South Florida 7.7 mil distribution 

everyone else over 8 mil distribution.  

numbers are increasing on average by about 2mil/year for the duration of the remainder of contract, unless you make playoff..Cincy made nearly 12 mil in distributions last year.  By 2026 an AAC team in the playoffs will be pulling ~20 mil/year.

Does your ass hurt when you pull numbers out of it?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/7/2023 at 7:12 AM, bitteraztec said:

@Yoda’s success on AM should easily win him the MWCboard Troll Derby

Apologies, but I am not a troll.  I've always said that when you are visiting someone else's board, you don't poop on their carpet.  So I don't make comments like "SDSU sucks", or whatever.

I do try to inject a contrarian point of view, but respectfully (okay, unless I get pissed).  Some of those folks aren't just drinking the Kool Aid, they are drowning in it.  I'm a major league pain in the butt to them and they do consider me a troll. 

But others are a little more objective and engage or at least are a little more open minded.

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2023 at 6:46 AM, Someone Else said:

Not likely but the world is filled with possibilities.  And considering I don't know the future I'll say your scenario is possible.

I do continue to wonder why all of these schools who are going to bolt from the P12 to these other conferences are still waiting to do so. I mean if it's so clear that this is going to happen, what's the hold up?  

My thought is the P12 will be fine for at least the next 5-10 years.  If in fact that is incorrect and the p12 dissolves there will certainly be too many moving parts to really determine what things might look like.  I do however expect that if the Socal market is viewed as desirable to the media... and I said if... then really the best option out there probably is SDSU and not Fresno.  But that's just an opinion.

I'm not certain that the PAC schools really want to go; they have a history together.  They want to see their TV  deal before deciding about staying or leaving the PAC.  But if the money difference is sufficient and, more than that, if their TV exposure is insufficient, a couple will probably jump.  

The good news is that their TV deal is about done and I suspect it will be public by the end of the month.  I believe that they will have so little linear exposure, that a school or three will leave and this round of conference musical chairs will come to a merciful end.

On 5/7/2023 at 7:23 AM, Yoda said:

True, as far as you go.  But the SoCal market is only part of the equation.  Fresno captures a smaller part of the SoCal market than SDSU does.  But Fresno not only has a presence in the SoCal market but is dominant in the CentCal market -- meaning the Central Coast and the San Joaquin Valley -- where San Diego State has virtually no presence at all.  Overall, Fresno's market is larger than is SDSU's.

I hope when this is all over and Fresno is left outside yet again you will have the ability to reflect on the last year and wonder how in the hell you were so confident of an invite.  Like someone else said, for awhile I also thought you were just trolling but then I realized you actually believed it.    

• Downvote 1

On 5/7/2023 at 7:48 AM, AztecMD said:

I hope when this is all over and Fresno is left outside yet again you will have the ability to reflect on the last year and wonder how in the hell you were so confident of an invite.  Like someone else said, for awhile I also thought you were just trolling but then I realized you actually believed it.    

And I am looking forward to the day where I can post in response to your ridicule, cura te ipsum.  I'm not as delusional as you wish to believe.

• Like 1