Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 2/24/2023 at 12:49 PM, TCU Robert said:

I do think that the PAC12 needs to have something in play besides Apple TV to get on OTA TV

If ABC (ESPN), Fox and CBS are truly out.  Why not try and get a deal with NBC?   They could show a weekly PAC12 game after the Notre Dame game.

If NBC is out, I don't think that the CW is a bad idea.  It was wide distribution and is in professional golf.

I don't remember seeing anything saying that ESPN/ABC are out of the PAC media negotiations, just that their offer is far lower than what the PAC was expecting/anticipating.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 11:49 AM, TCU Robert said:

I do think that the PAC12 needs to have something in play besides Apple TV to get on OTA TV

If ABC (ESPN), Fox and CBS are truly out.  Why not try and get a deal with NBC?   They could show a weekly PAC12 game after the Notre Dame game.

If NBC is out, I don't think that the CW is a bad idea.  It was wide distribution and is in professional golf.

IIRC NBC has an evening game (8PM ET) now with the B1G.  And they can't do anything after that because it will pre-empt both the local news and Saturday night live in the ET and CT.  

What is truly strange is the demise of the PAC would be a bad thing for the BIG12.  The BIG12 and PAC (and ACC) are all in the same boat.  The farther they get away from the BIG and SEC the quicker they become irrelevant, as well.  The end of the PAC would only accelerated that making the BIG12 irrelevant even quicker than if there was a strong PAC.   Keeping the PAC, BIG and ACC as strong as possible is in the best interest of each conference and college football as a whole. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, TCU Robert said:

After the ND game, NBC has a Big 10 Game in primetime.  The best NBC could do is a mid afternoon game the weeks ND is not on.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:10 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Honestly I dislike the B12 now. They're acting like a bunch of dicks tbh

And a year ago people were dancing on the Big 12's grave.  Karma's like that.

But, to iterate, it is unlikely that the Big 12 will expand or that the Pac 12 will crater.

• Like 2
  • Troll 1

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:27 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Only UCLA fans think they were nothing more than given a golden ticket because of USC and USC alone.  Their metrics are below UO and UW in nearly every category, and mirror Arizona and Cal.  But, they do have a great brand.

"Great brand" is far behind the fact they deliver one-of-the-two biggest media mkts in nation.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:35 PM, namssa said:

What is truly strange is the demise of the PAC would be a bad thing for the BIG12.  The BIG12 and PAC (and ACC) are all in the same boat.  The farther they get away from the BIG and SEC the quicker they become irrelevant, as well.  The end of the PAC would only accelerated that making the BIG12 irrelevant even quicker than if there was a strong PAC.   Keeping the PAC, BIG and ACC as strong as possible is in the best interest of each conference and college football as a whole. 

Yea this is the thing that people are forgetting in the end

On 2/24/2023 at 12:46 PM, TCU Robert said:

this is the strangest thing ever.  Media guys are tweeting conflicting information

I wonder who their sources are what's their motive.

I have to say that the idea that the PAC12 is negotiating with Ion TV does seem unbelievable.

It's all about the wording, both could be true: 

McMurphy says: Ion TV has emerged as a POTENTIAL Pac-12 partner

Mandel says: Ion is not involved in the Pac-12's TV negotiations

The way I read both McMurphy is talking possible future negotiations, while Mandel is talking about current negotiations.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:35 PM, namssa said:

First of all, even if the PAC were to get raided by the B1G (again) or Big12, the PAC will likely live on - it will just have to invite several MW teams to join.  So "demise" is maybe a bit strong.

If the Big12 were able to take the top PAC teams (Washington, Oregon, etc.), how would that be bad for the Big12?  There would still be a big gap between B1G/SEC and the Big12, but it would be a smaller gap than the status quo.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, e-zone99 said:

It's all about the wording, both could be true: 

McMurphy says: Ion TV has emerged as a POTENTIAL Pac-12 partner

Mandel says: Ion is not involved in the Pac-12's TV negotiations

The way I read both McMurphy is talking possible future negotiations, while Mandel is talking about current negotiations.

Given ION's position in the TV universe, I'm betting Mandel is closer to the truth.

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:35 PM, RSF said:

Given ION's position in the TV universe, I'm betting Mandel is closer to the truth.

Who knows, it could Apple TV+ throwing the name of IonTV be an option to get some of bigger games to be streamed and over the air at the same time.  Does Apple do the same thing with some of their MLS stuff. 

On 2/24/2023 at 3:41 PM, e-zone99 said:

Who knows, it could Apple TV+ throwing the name of IonTV be an option to get some of bigger games to be streamed and over the air at the same time.  Does Apple do the same thing with some of their MLS stuff. 

No, because they dont need to.  AppleTV has all the MLS games.  The Fox Game of the Week will also be streamed.

• Troll 1

Meanwhile, in the ACC, the Florida State AD is cranky and angling for uneven revenue distribution.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35728303/florida-state-ad-says-lagging-acc-revenue-change

• Troll 1

On 2/24/2023 at 1:31 PM, Pelado said:

First of all, even if the PAC were to get raided by the B1G (again) or Big12, the PAC will likely live on - it will just have to invite several MW teams to join.  So "demise" is maybe a bit strong.

If the Big12 were able to take the top PAC teams (Washington, Oregon, etc.), how would that be bad for the Big12?  There would still be a big gap between B1G/SEC and the Big12, but it would be a smaller gap than the status quo.

That question is 100% hypothetical. Although Washington and Oregon could certainly join the B1G, they aren't going to leave the Pac's eight lesser lights in order to join a conference with a DOZEN schools less valuable than they are.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:06 PM, RSF said:

Meanwhile, in the ACC, the Florida State AD is cranky and angling for uneven revenue distribution.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35728303/florida-state-ad-says-lagging-acc-revenue-change

Also letting the SEC know that FSU is so unhappy with its present conference that for the right price they'd consider bailing out before the ACC's GOR expires.

• Cheers 1