Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 1/31/2023 at 9:54 AM, RSF said:

They won the Big 12 in '19, and are regular NCAA tournament participants (including an Elite 8 appearance in '18).

Damn, so Jayhawks just overshadow them so much I'm unaware. Although now that you mention I do recall their tourney run. Did they win the B12 tournament or regular season?

On 1/31/2023 at 11:59 AM, AztecSU said:

Damn, so Jayhawks just overshadow them so much I'm unaware. Although now that you mention I do recall their tourney run. Did they win the B12 tournament or regular season?

Regular.  And yeah, they are definitely the red-headed step child compared to KU....in basketball.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:37 AM, AztecSU said:

Sorry but this reminds me of when that UofA podcaster started the 4 corners rumors back in the summer that were clearly bs lol.

It’s funny. Most of these media hacks are just looking for customers and clicks. Since last June, if you dig deeper on their sources, they heard from a guy that heard from 2 other guys that knew a real insider. 

Like @Did I hear a WOOSH?, if you throw enough shit on the wall, eventually something is bound to stick. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:14 PM, utenation said:

It’s funny. Most of these media hacks are just looking for customers and clicks. Since last June, if you dig deeper on their sources, they heard from a guy that heard from 2 other guys that knew a real insider. 

Like @Did I hear a WOOSH?, if you throw enough shit on the wall, eventually something is bound to stick. 

Woosh on most days....

089fcee975281e34cd916723b9487280.jpg

• Like 1

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

It seems OUW and the Zoneys are not interested in expansion either.

SUDS and whomever to the PAC is dead until more PAC rats jump ship.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/31/2023 at 11:35 AM, Spaztecs said:

It seems OUW and the Zoneys are not interested in expansion either.

SUDS and whomever to the PAC is dead until more PAC rats jump ship.

Unless they'd accept a Big12 invite? Pulling the SoCal market out from under the PAC12 would be a pretty good move and though unlikely could maybe create a domino affect.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:41 AM, Someone Else said:

The real question is, if these schools are actually refusing to sign, what option do they all actually have??

Oregon and UW are the strongest candidates from a media standpoint so if the B10 doesn't currently want them then where are they gonna go??  Their options are the nB12, the MW, or what???

So even if they are upset they kinda have to stick together until such time as the B10 decides to expand again.

that's my opinion anyway.

Not exactly a secret that UW and UO would like to join the L.A. schools in the B1G. There's also been enough smoke coming out of Tucson about UA possibly being interested in the B12 to think something is smoldering about that. However, it's also quite clear that none of the other seven schools have any desire to leave the conference but are instead committed to keeping it in existence and it's unclear whether UW and UO could politically leave for the B1G even if the B1G should offer them membership and I've been told a state board runs all three public universities in Arizona and it is unlikely to let UA leave the Pac on its lonesome.

Prediction: The aforementioned three schools don't want a GOR at all whereas the other seven want a lengthy one. The obvious solution will be a compromise GOR which is either of short duration or has an escape clause.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:48 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Yes, the report that the Pac deal is only $25 million per school and that some are refusing to accept it could be pure BS.  And even if it’s not, the scenario I described is still only a possibility.  I just won’t be surprised if it comes to pass.  In conference realignment, once a tipping point is reached a lot can happen very fast.  Those who aren’t preparing for every contingency are the most likely to get burned.

I knew next to nothing about this Monty guy so have done some digging. On Altadore's twitter site, a bunch of people have come out of the woodwork to say Monty is notorious for being FOS. Also, anyone who can find the site will see Monty's bio on which he admits he's been fired by more stations than the number of penises which have visited the backseat of Madonna's limo.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:42 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Not exactly a secret that UW and UO would like to join the L.A. schools in the B1G. There's also been enough smoke coming out of Tucson about UA possibly being interested in the B12 to think something is smoldering about that. However, it's also quite clear that none of the other seven schools have any desire to leave the conference but are instead committed to keeping it in existence and it's unclear whether UW and UO could politically leave for the B1G even if the B1G should offer them membership and I've been told a state board runs all three public universities in Arizona and it is unlikely to let UA leave the Pac on its lonesome.

Prediction: The aforementioned three schools don't want a GOR at all whereas the other seven want a lengthy one. The obvious solution will be a compromise GOR which is either of short duration or has an escape clause.

Biggest issues facing Oregon and Washington is the fact the BIG10 presidents don't want to add more schools and they will be facing pushback/blocking from USCLA on top of that now.

Really their only options are to Make the PAC succeed or make a move to the Big12, I don't see the Big10 changing that mindset for a long time if ever.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:42 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

A short GOR would be admission they are potentially all sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Mr Insider was way off on his UCF info on the schedule.  No TCU, No Texas, No Iowa State, Texas Tech on the road, includes Cincy.  Shocking.

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:42 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

I listened to a podcast with our AD, just done a few days ago.  He said, now that the UCLA situation is final, things are going to move quickly.

He said much of the contract(s) were hammered out late last year pending UCLA staying or not. He said this includes GOR. There wasn’t any hint of hesitation by any schools. So unless the details of the GOR are still a moving target, I have to believe things are moving forward, especially this late in the game. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:20 PM, utenation said:

I listened to a podcast with our AD, just done a few days ago.  He said, now that the UCLA situation is final, things are going to move quickly.

He said much of the contract(s) were hammered out late last year pending UCLA staying or not. He said this includes GOR. There wasn’t any hint of hesitation by any schools. So unless the details of the GOR are still a moving target, I have to believe things are moving forward, especially this late in the game. 

I'm assuming he reiterated the fact that the Conference is moving forward together and 0 interest in the Big12? I only partly question it not from the view of Utah, but just seems so many schools have different agendas. Cal/Stanford (academic snobbery), Oregon/UW want in the Big10, Arizona (care more about Basketball so Big12) ex.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:27 PM, utgrizfan said:

I'm assuming he reiterated the fact that the Conference is moving forward together and 0 interest in the Big12? I only partly question it not from the view of Utah, but just seems so many schools have different agendas. Cal/Stanford (academic snobbery), Oregon/UW want in the Big10, Arizona (care more about Basketball so Big12) ex.

No mention of the B12.  But if there were schools throwing mud with different agendas I think Mark would be more tight lipped and hesitant with a tone of Utah will make sure we are in the best position possible, not unity.  

We all know UW/O played their hand to get in the B10. That ship has sailed and it’s all quiet. Can that change? Sure. 

Harlan has big boosters and fans to answer to. If the P12 media deal was fake handshakes with smoke and mirrors and we get blindsided, he’d be the dumbest AD on the planet. 

None of this is guaranteed at all but I’ll certainly give info from our AD more credibility than a lot of the “insider” media hack garbage on this thread. 

• Like 3

On 1/31/2023 at 11:20 AM, utenation said:

do you have a link for the podcast?

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

On 1/31/2023 at 12:42 PM, Dirtball said:

do you have a link for the podcast?

Most of it is Utah Homer stuff. I think he discusses the goodies around the 31 min mark.  

Btw, he said they will be looking at expansion too at some point. Take that with a grain of salt. 

https://utahutes.com/news/2023/1/26/general-hear-it-from-harlan-podcast-january-2023.aspx

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:47 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I knew next to nothing about this Monty guy so have done some digging. On Altadore's twitter site, a bunch of people have come out of the woodwork to say Monty is notorious for being FOS. Also, anyone who can find the site will see Monty's bio on which he admits he's been fired by more stations than the number of penises which have visited the backseat of Madonna's limo.

Lol I watched the show this morning and I was like where is he getting his sources? 🤣

On 1/31/2023 at 1:54 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Lol I watched the show this morning and I was like where is he getting his sources? 🤣

Woosh....