Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 12/14/2022 at 5:32 PM, azgreg said:

Cal and UCLA are the only UC System colleges in the PAC-12.

Jason Scheer certainly was incorrect in outright saying your school would join the B12 by the end of September or whatever date he put on it. Still, in checking the U of A message board, it sure seems like Wildcat fans are adamant about getting out of the Pac. That does not appear to be true of ASU. Do you think Arizona should try to join the B12 on its own?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Cal and UCLA are the only UC System colleges in the PAC-12.

I'm aware of this fact... the regents have nothing to do with conference affiliations... so they should not be focused solely on what happens in the P12, yet they are. 

If the regents are concerned with financial inequities which exist between their schools they should be concerned with all of the UC schools...  UCLA should be forced to give money to everyone... actually Cal should be forced to too since they both make more money from TV than all of the others.  (No, I don't believe that but then I don't believe UCLA should be forced to give Cal anything either... the regents didn't create the P12 and they have nothing to do with it.)

On 12/14/2022 at 6:44 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Jason Scheer certainly was incorrect in outright saying your school would join the B12 by the end of September or whatever date he put on it. Still, in checking the U of A message board, it sure seems like Wildcat fans are adamant about getting out of the Pac. That does not appear to be true of ASU. Do you think Arizona should try to join the B12 on its own?

He never put a date on it, but sure wants to see it happen.  If the internet contingent is representative of the whole (doubtful) then the Arizona fanbase seems pretty supportive as well.  I don’t think they make a move solo.  Let’s see what comes out of the media deal.  If the $$$ isn’t there or it’s too heavy on the streaming then maybe that changes things.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 12/14/2022 at 6:44 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I think the Big 12 will be a better conference after USC and UCLA leave no matter who the PAC-X adds if anybody. I've reached the point where I'm not sure I give a crap what conference we end up in. With that being said I think college sports are better when they are regional and I like being part of a west coast conference.

• Like 4

People, not a fan.

On 12/14/2022 at 6:28 PM, utenation said:

Pretty sad both Cal and UCLA need big bailouts to get to par on their budgets. 

#californiadreaming

• Like 1

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

On 12/14/2022 at 5:45 PM, Rosegreen said:

That’s not enough to put a dent in Cal’s deficit. So dumb. 

But it could lead to one of these outcomes:

Cal uses that money to hire a new men's basketball coach (and AD?)

Or... they use that money to *gulp* try to bribe their way into the Big West, a doomsday scenario which would only come into play if the Pac somehow dissolves.  I want nothing to do with those bums but that possibility isn't 0%.

On 12/14/2022 at 8:33 PM, southfresno said:

The next domino is whether the Big XII can poach some PAC 12 schools.

I am not tracking all the conference movements with B12. I am not sure B12 has a need to rush an add?? PAC12 is on life support at this point. Attractive PAC12 teams look to be Utah, Oregon, Arizona schools, with the unknown being Colorado (with new HC Primetime). 

with any 2 of those schools leaving the pac would be completely dead. 

• Downvote 1

On 12/14/2022 at 10:26 PM, FresnoStateBulldogFan said:

I am not tracking all the conference movements with B12. I am not sure B12 has a need to rush an add?? PAC12 is on life support at this point. Attractive PAC12 teams look to be Utah, Oregon, Arizona schools, with the unknown being Colorado (with new HC Primetime). 

with any 2 of those schools leaving the pac would be completely dead. 

What’s the hold up?  The B12 just inked a new TV contract. Most smart people would send out invites to potential schools to increase payouts for that contract rather than wait 5 years down the road.  Why haven’t P12 schools left already?

The B12 commish was telling the world they are “open for business” on expansion all summer and wanted to move West. Where’s the business?

Last week I listened to an interview with our AD. He said things should move forward once the UCLA nonsense( my word) is settled. Everything I’ve heard from Utah’s leadership isn’t suggesting life support or the need to panic. 

• Like 3

On 12/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, utenation said:

What’s the hold up?  The B12 just inked a new TV contract. Most smart people would send out invites to potential schools to increase payouts for that contract rather than wait 5 years down the road.  Why haven’t P12 schools left already?

The B12 commish was telling the world they are “open for business” on expansion all summer and wanted to move West. Where’s the business?

Last week I listened to an interview with our AD. He said things should move forward once the UCLA nonsense( my word) is settled. Everything I’ve heard from Utah’s leadership isn’t suggesting life support or the need to panic. 

$30mil/team = "life support"

SMH

• Like 3

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 12/14/2022 at 11:12 PM, SDSUfan said:

$30mil/team = "life support"

SMH

P12 AD’s and Presidents have big boosters and fans to answer to.  If there was a much better deal in the B12, they would be the ones making phone calls.  Conference loyalty sounds cute but everyone is looking out for themselves. 

Not saying we are done with realignment but the B12 raiding the P12 idea is pretty sloppy and beaten to death. Only way they get a chance is if the B10 isn’t done.  And that’s as quiet as a library these days. 

Someone above mentioned message board chatter from AZ fans wanting to move.  Ok. But we all know how much decision making message board guys have. Just more internet warriors. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Some programs are maybe only as good as the coach who made the program...........there's a number of CBB programs that fell off the map once the "main guy" departed.

UNLV has been hit & miss since Tarkanian

DePaul is a shadow of the program under Ray Meyer & 3 Final Fours in a row (80, 81,82) 

Marquette has been up & down since Al Maguire

USF was a powerhouse once

All the above programs are not part of the P5 and when they fall off these days it's hard to get it back 

If Gonzaga falls off or returns to their long time norm, then they are just another WCC small catholic school program ..........That's a lot for the PAC to risk on a one program school that brings nothing else to the table 

Sometimes things outside the coach and school happens as well. USF was hit with probation and sanctions during the 70s and 80s to where USF shut down its basketball program for a couple of years and when it returned took them 13 years to get to postseason basketball again. 

With some of the UNLV basketball coaches, they were using UNLV as a stepping stone, if they wanted to stick around with UNLV they probably could have done more.

On the other hand some schools continue on the line after their big coaches leave. I think the foundation they leave behind is just as important. The question is when Few leaves did he leave a foundation to continue on the future and could be the next person in are they interested in building it up more or tearing it down somewhat to build their own castle so to speak