Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 11/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, Cleopatra said:

i don't like this idea

UCLA does not deserve more and not paying San Diego St. a full share will never allow them to compete

It all depends on how much a broadcast partner values the LA TV Market.

If the money is even as low as $40 mil per team, which is more than being bandied about now, no one will get their feathers ruffled.

Also, if the Aztecs do take less, they should insist upon some concessions. Ownership of third tier rights ? Ask for five Conference Home Games ?  Travel subs ?

They should have some avenue of recouping the reduced tv revenue.

• Like 2

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

When Utah came to the pac12.  They took less for two years.  I expect ours to be similar.

"As part of its membership agreement in moving from the Mountain West Conference, Utah won't receive a full share immediately. It'll be gradual — 50 percent in 2012-13, 75 percent in 2013-14 and 100 percent each year thereafter. "

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:28 PM, Aztec Since 88 said:

When Utah came to the pac12.  They took less for two years.  I expect ours to be similar.

"As part of its membership agreement in moving from the Mountain West Conference, Utah won't receive a full share immediately. It'll be gradual — 50 percent in 2012-13, 75 percent in 2013-14 and 100 percent each year thereafter. "

And that was actually pretty generous from the Pac-12 relative to other conferences. Pretty sure the B1G additions a decade ago didn’t receive full shares for like 8 years.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:28 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Yeah but I wouldn't think UCLA would have agreed to something like that unless they were quite sure the BOR would indeed allow it. However, UCLA appears to have been caught totally taken aback by the opposition that's arisen.

And perhaps they had some level of assurances or indications that they were good but were then blindsided when the Regents were forced into a 180 when Berkeley started publicly whining and crying and Wilner started his schtick.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:54 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

I mean, the main point is UCLA isn’t backing out, because they will owe money if they do it. There is NO WAY UCLA can back out and not have to pay.

The B1G relied on UCLA joining to get their TV deal, so if UCLA backs out then any reduction in that will be clear cut damages.

I'm sure that the networks all have a rough monetary figure as to what UCLA in the B1G and no other P5's in LA were worth as a percentage of their overall bid.  Multiply that by 3 as part of an overall $8B deal and even if it's a tiny slice of the pie it could still touch 9 figures.  Now, if the networks want to throw up their hands and say "oh well" and move on with no changes to the media deal, there would be no damages that the B1G would suffer.  The networks would still have damages though, and there is no cozy AAU collegiality between their executives and the UC Chancellors.

Lotta ins, lotta outs to this case, man.  Lotta strands in ol' Duder's head.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 7:31 PM, USU78 said:

If there is a question of actual authority, a decent lawyer insists upon getting evidence of authority grant in hand first.

I think that authority grant would go back to the original decision thirty years ago that delegated authority over all athletic decisions to the individual chancellors.  I'm sure that there are plenty of Regents' meetings minutes, the formal vote and any memoranda that were subsequently sent to the individual campuses.  There will also be a thirty year trail of established precedent that the individual campuses using that delegated authority to make athletic decisions.  I'd be certain that the B1G lawyers and lawyers for all three networks went over all of it and didn't find any roadblocks.

On 11/19/2022 at 7:22 AM, RebelAlliance said:

I think that authority grant would go back to the original decision thirty years ago that delegated authority over all athletic decisions to the individual chancellors.  I'm sure that there are plenty of Regents' meetings minutes, the formal vote and any memoranda that were subsequently sent to the individual campuses.  There will also be a thirty year trail of established precedent that the individual campuses using that delegated authority to make athletic decisions.  I'd be certain that the B1G lawyers and lawyers for all three networks went over all of it and didn't find any roadblocks.

I'm popping popcorn 🍿. Gonna be a great show.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, USU78 said:

I'm popping popcorn 🍿. Gonna be a great show.

I don't know for sure, but I think it's highly likely that at some point in the last three decades, a non-PAC UC campus switched conferences in some sport or another with the decision made at the institutional level and no oversight or interference from the Regents.

My hunch for them kicking it down the road is that they--at Berkeley's behest--want to block the move and are giving their attorneys more time to find some strategy that would eliminate or at least minimize any legal exposure to the B1G and the networks.  Either that or they're playing chicken with the B1G to try and get Cal a ticket.  Otherwise, just announce that UCLA is leaving and be done with it. 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:28 PM, Aztec Since 88 said:

They also had to cut a separate TV deal from the rest of the PAC because the TV partners weren't going to up the ante for Colorado and Utah. There were only two years left on the TV deal. The Utes did sign with Pac12 Network, for less than the others but still much more than MW money.

Still, if the Aztecs are offered a gradual full share or even a permanent reduced share, they should be offered an avenue to recoup that difference in revenue as I suggested in an earlier post.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/19/2022 at 8:53 AM, RebelAlliance said:

I don't know for sure, but I think it's highly likely that at some point in the last three decades, a non-PAC UC campus switched conferences in some sport or another with the decision made at the institutional level and no oversight or interference from the Regents.

My hunch for them kicking it down the road is that they--at Berkeley's behest--want to block the move and are giving their attorneys more time to find some strategy that would eliminate or at least minimize any legal exposure to the B1G and the networks.  Either that or they're playing chicken with the B1G to try and get Cal a ticket.  Otherwise, just announce that UCLA is leaving and be done with it. 

I know that UC Davis switched to the big west in 2003 from D2 and then to the big sky.  I think UCSD has as well. 

On 11/19/2022 at 10:27 AM, Spaztecs said:

They also had to cut a separate TV deal from the rest of the PAC because the TV partners weren't going to up the ante for Colorado and Utah. There were only two years left on the TV deal. The Utes did sign with Pac12 Network, for less than the others but still much more than MW money.

Still, if the Aztecs are offered a gradual full share or even a permanent reduced share, they should be offered an avenue to recoup that difference in revenue as I suggested in an earlier post.

No way should any conference which accepts a new member for all sports give it a reduced share of TV revenue forever. Since I've never heard of that, it would exude that the conference couldn't lure somebody it wanted more. Further, it would set a precedent that would detract from the ability to add new members in the future.

My guess is this. The Pac's offer to SDSU will be that it receives the same reduced percentage Utah agreed to but rather than automatically ending in 2-3 years, that reduction will continue until SDSU gains Carnegie Tier 1 research status.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 9:34 PM, Someone Else said:

Found this thread on page 4... page 4. 

Last post over a week ago!

Are we done?  No more movement for a few years?

Or will there be a December announcement?

Even our insiders have been silent!!

If AD’s weren’t focused on championship week/closing the season strong I’d be pretty upset.  Order of operations and such..

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

On 11/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, Fowl said:

I know that UC Davis switched to the big west in 2003 from D2 and then to the big sky.  I think UCSD has as well. 

Yes.  Davis "replaced" USU, I mean the Choo Choo's.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:50 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

If AD’s weren’t focused on championship week/closing the season strong I’d be pretty upset.  Order of operations and such..

If your AD was focused on Tulane and not his job, a lot of people would be upset.  Coaches, players, boosters, administration...Job descriptions and such...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:54 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Athletic departments tiny dude, athletic departments.

Aw...you're so cute when you're backpedaling.  Like there's a difference....or that the whole department has much to do with realignment.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:25 AM, RSF said:

Aw...you're so cute when you're backpedaling.  Like there's a difference....or that the whole department has much to do with realignment.

Focus is obviously elsewhere.  When was the last time there was actual realignment during the cfb season? We’ve talked about this already goldfish brain.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Focus is obviously elsewhere.  When was the last time there was actual realignment during the cfb season? We’ve talked about this already goldfish brain.

I can tell you when 2 took place.  And they both involved TCU...the 2nd of which was part of a larger realignment.  TCU to the Big East on 11/29/2010.  TCU to the Big 12 10/11/2011.  Louisville to the ACC was also in November, as was West Virginia to the Big 12.  Pitt and Syracuse were in September.

More recently...the new additions to the Big 12 officially occurred on September 10 of '21, which I believe is during football season.  There were several additional moves during the season subsequently.  I wouldnt expect you to remember this, seeing how your school was involved.

The sign of failure....name calling.

Take a lap.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:37 PM, RSF said:

I can tell you when 2 took place.  And they both involved TCU...the 2nd of which was part of a larger realignment.  TCU to the Big East on 11/29/2010.  TCU to the Big 12 10/11/2011.  Louisville to the ACC was also in November, as was West Virginia to the Big 12.  Pitt and Syracuse were in September.

More recently...the new additions to the Big 12 officially occurred on September 10 of '21, which I believe is during football season.  There were several additional moves during the season subsequently.  I wouldnt expect you to remember this, seeing how your school was involved.

The sign of failure....name calling.

Take a lap.

@Did I hear a WOOSH?No response?  No goalpost moving?  

I'm shocked.  Not like you to run from facts.

Shocked I tell ya...