Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 10/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, Jack Bauer said:

And I'd be fine if they cut it down to 40 and went from there.

Purdue, despite being in the B1G isn't playing the same game Ohio State and Alabama are.

And I'd be fine with BYU not being one of the 40, because even though we can rise up and beat some of those teams sometimes, we're not playing the same game.

I'd be for a European model with relegation long term

Then it's just the NFL with 40 teams.

I'd double it to 80 teams. 40 teams only basically kills the sport in half the country.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 10/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, Cleopatra said:

I watched their game against Pitt it was electric

they belong in the ACC i agree

but then who could join with them?  Uconn maybe

No need for even numbers anymore, but it will never happen because ESPN is benefitting from the ACC being underpaid. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, AztecSU said:

No need for even numbers anymore, but it will never happen because ESPN is benefitting from the ACC being underpaid. 

it all depends on the Big Ten still

if they decide to add Cal and Stanford, or Oregon Washingotn then the Pac12 will cease

everyone is waiting on this TV deal with Amazon and Apple to see what happens.

we should know soon

On 10/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, AztecSU said:

West Virginia belongs in the ACC, and every time they play an ACC team the ratings prove it. 

Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest and some other schools don't want West Virginia in ACC, Louisville barely got into the ACC

Georgia Board of Regents are supposed to meet I believe either tonight or tomorrow about Kennesaw St possibly moving to C-USA but there are many financial concerns being raised about the move as currently their stadium only holds 8,000 seats. However, if Kennesaw St does move up, rumors are C-USA will stay pat for a bit unless new movement happens outside of them

Eastern Kentucky is interested in moving up to C-USA but reading that Western Kentucky is blocking the move.

Missouri St and Sun Belt still having off and on talks about Missouri St joining.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest and some other schools don't want West Virginia in ACC, Louisville barely got into the ACC

Sounds familiar, and both conferences will be a shell of their former selves soon enough. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 6:04 PM, NorCalCoug said:

No, no, no…. I’ve been assured on this board that the PAC is fine, is more valuable than the BigXII, and that no one will move.  😂 

Who said this?

its already known that those schools want into the Big10 and that the Big10 is interested. Unless Fox wants to pay for it, it still won’t happen.

On 10/11/2022 at 9:24 PM, AztecSU said:

Who said this?

its already known that those schools want into the Big10 and that the Big10 is interested. Unless Fox wants to pay for it, it still won’t happen.

It’s well documented in this thread. Many said exactly that.

EDIT:  On 2nd thought it was a popular take on the USC/UCLA leaving the PAC thread.  Go read some of halfwitbronco’s braniac takes over there 😂.

• Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

Between two bits of information coming out this week (Rick Neuheisel mentioning on his ESPN show that his sources are suggesting to him that Oregon and Washington are close to moving to the B1G, and Matt Brown mentioning that people in the know told him those two make sense financially for the league), I think it's time for another dominoes.

The B1G expands to 18 by adding Oregon and Washington. Cal and Stanford are not offered as they are dilutive financially.

At this point, those two are looking for the next best thing and it is not in a quickly sinking Pac-12. They call the Big 12 who invites them as well as Colorado and Arizona. It has been suggested that the Big 12 should not go past 16 for financial reasons so Arizona State and Utah are left behind. 

The Pac-12 is now sitting at 4 members: ASU, Utah, WSU, and OSU. The league still has autonomy status so it decides to raid the MW. The Pac-12 invites Fresno State and SDSU to get back into California. The next addition is UNLV to get into Nevada. Though their star is fading, Boise State is offered and accepts. In order to get back into Colorado, the league invites both CSU and Air Force, and they both accept. To round out the 12 league members, the league invites New Mexico and Hawaii for football-only and Gonzaga for Olympic sports. SMU declines an invite as the $10 million exit fee is not worth jumping westward to a league making a similar yearly per-school payout. 

The Mountain West at this point is down to 4 members: they invite NMSU and UTEP who both accept. The league attempts to sway more C-USA schools but are unable to do so due to geography. The league has to settle for 4 FCS call-ups: NDSU, SDSU, Montana, and Montana State. 

It should be noted that the SECACCAACMAC, and Sun Belt stand pat during and after these moves.

C-USA is then back down to 8 members. They decide to add two to get back to 10 members (assuming Kennesaw State joins): Central Arkansas and North Alabama. 

This leaves FBS football with 140 schools. 

The next move is unexpected: the Southern adds the last two remaining A-SUN football schools (Austin Peay and EKU). Austin Peay also happens to have a decent basketball program which the Southern likes. 

On the other side of the country, the WCC responds to the departure of Gonzaga by adding Grand Canyon and Seattle, both of the WAC. 

Coming back east, the A-SUN is down to 7 members and the Big South has 9. This is where some other leagues get involved. The OVC grows some muscles and invites Lipscomb who accepts. That league is now at 11 teams. The Horizon league spots its opportunity and invites Bellarmine to get back to 12 schools. 

The Big South see its opportunity to strengthen and eliminate a rival and invites Queens (NC), Jacksonville, FGCU, UNF, and Stetson to get to 14 schools. The A-Sun is no more. 

Let's refresh what we have out west: The Pac-12 has stabilized at 12 members as has the MW at 10 members. The WCC is also now at 10 members. The other three western leagues are the Summit (8), Big Sky (8), and WAC (9). 

Because of geography, the WAC is able to convince Northern Arizona to join to get the league to 10 members and 8 football schools. 

Normally, I would not go down one of these Division 2 call-up rabbit holes, but due to geography I don't have a choice. The first move is the Summit adding Augustana, a Division 2 school from South Dakota. That gets the league to 9. It decides to stay put. 

The Big Sky is now going to need to expand. The league is down to 7 members and 9 football members (two are affiliates). Realistically, the league need to add two to three members. EWU is not going to want WWU or CWU in the league so the options at the Division 2 level are going to be slim. The league decides to add Chico State and Cal Poly Humboldt, both Division 2 members out of California to get back to 9 members. The final addition is Alaska-Fairbanks. The league settles with 10 members. 

The final move is Le Moyne (D2-NY) to the NEC

This results in a net of 367 schools in Division 1, 140 schools in the FBS, 31 conferences (down from 32), and a school in every state. 

The only conferences with less than 10 members will be: 
Ivy (8)
MEAC (8)
Summit (9) 
America East (9)

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

No, no, no…. I’ve been assured on this board that the PAC is fine, is more valuable than the BigXII, and that no one will move.  😂 

Oddly, I seem to remember being told that the P12 would implode due to the nB12.... everyone was going to join that league because it was worth so much more.

I do remember it being very clear that the both O and UW would move to the B10 in a new york minute if offered.  I don't think anyone debated that one. 

If this ends up happening it does seem odd that it was done this way, especially after telling them they weren't interested a few months ago.... kind of a head scratcher for me.  it seems like it would have been simpler to do it all at the same time.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:28 PM, shizzle787 said:

Between two bits of information coming out this week (Rick Neuheisel mentioning on his ESPN show that his sources are suggesting to him that Oregon and Washington are close to moving to the B1G, and Matt Brown mentioning that people in the know told him those two make sense financially for the league), I think it's time for another dominoes.

The B1G expands to 18 by adding Oregon and Washington. Cal and Stanford are not offered as they are dilutive financially.

At this point, those two are looking for the next best thing and it is not in a quickly sinking Pac-12. They call the Big 12 who invites them as well as Colorado and Arizona. It has been suggested that the Big 12 should not go past 16 for financial reasons so Arizona State and Utah are left behind. 

The Pac-12 is now sitting at 4 members: ASU, Utah, WSU, and OSU. The league still has autonomy status so it decides to raid the MW. The Pac-12 invites Fresno State and SDSU to get back into California. The next addition is UNLV to get into Nevada. Though their star is fading, Boise State is offered and accepts. In order to get back into Colorado, the league invites both CSU and Air Force, and they both accept. To round out the 12 league members, the league invites New Mexico and Hawaii for football-only and Gonzaga for Olympic sports. SMU declines an invite as the $10 million exit fee is not worth jumping westward to a league making a similar yearly per-school payout. 

The Mountain West at this point is down to 4 members: they invite NMSU and UTEP who both accept. The league attempts to sway more C-USA schools but are unable to do so due to geography. The league has to settle for 4 FCS call-ups: NDSU, SDSU, Montana, and Montana State. 

It should be noted that the SECACCAACMAC, and Sun Belt stand pat during and after these moves.

C-USA is then back down to 8 members. They decide to add two to get back to 10 members (assuming Kennesaw State joins): Central Arkansas and North Alabama. 

The next move is unexpected: the Southern adds the last two remaining A-SUN football schools (Austin Peay and EKU). Austin Peay also happens to have a decent basketball program which the Southern likes. 

On the other side of the country, the WCC responds to the departure of Gonzaga by adding Grand Canyon and Seattle, both of the WAC. 

Coming back east, the A-SUN is down to 7 members and the Big South has 9. This is where some other leagues get involved. The OVC grows some muscles and invites Lipscomb who accepts. That league is now at 11 teams. The Horizon league spots its opportunity and invites Bellarmine to get back to 12 schools. 

The Big South see its opportunity to strengthen and eliminate a rival and invites Queens (NC), Jacksonville, FGCU, UNF, and Stetson to get to 14 schools. The A-Sun is no more. 

Let's refresh what we have out west: The Pac-12 has stabilized at 12 members as has the MW at 10 members. The WCC is also now at 10 members. The other three western leagues are the Summit (8), Big Sky (8), and WAC (9). 

Because of geography, the WAC is able to convince Northern Arizona to join to get the league to 10 members and 8 football schools. 

Normally, I would not go down one of these Division 2 call-up rabbit holes, but due to geography I don't have a choice. The first move is the Summit adding Augustana, a Division 2 school from South Dakota. That gets the league to 9. It decides to stay put. 

The Big Sky is now going to need to expand. The league is down to 7 members and 9 football members (two are affiliates). Realistically, the league need to add two to three members. EWU is not going to want WWU or CWU in the league so the options at the Division 2 level are going to be slim. The league decides to add Chico State and Cal Poly Humboldt, both Division 2 members out of California to get back to 9 members. The final addition is Alaska-Fairbanks. The league settles with 10 members. 

This results in a net of 367 schools in Division 1, 140 schools in the FBS, 31 conferences (down from 32), and a school in every state. 

Ivy (8)
MEAC (8)
Summit (9) 
America East (9)

I hope the BigXII says "thanks but no thanks" to Cal and Stanford and make it clear that they're not a "cultural fit" because let's be honest they're not.  I hope they wither and die.  The BigXII will look to the 4 corner schools when it comes to expansion and will nab 2 or more.

• Like 2

v0icAvfW.jpg

3 minutes ago, shizzle787 said:

Ivy (8)
MEAC (8)
Summit (9) 
America East (9)

I don't think Cal and Stanford will join the nB12 ... especially Stanford.  My guess would be if O & UW go to the B10 then Stanford and Cal end up there too.

Then the nB12 grabs the Az schools, Utah, & Co.  MWc picks up OSU & WSU... 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Old School Tobacco Road Elitism coupled with a little spite for the State that seceded from the Confederacy ?

• Haha 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/11/2022 at 8:28 PM, shizzle787 said:

Cal to the New12 is like BYU to the PAC. Ain't happening. Cal and Stanford go Indy. The Four Corners to the B1G16. The PAC expands by 8 Schools from the MW and Gonzaga for Olys. Sparty, Fresno, UNR, UNLV, Boise, SDSU, CSU, Utags. Ten FB Schools. Round Robin Schedule and a shot at the CFB.

The remaining Front Rangers disband the MW and join the AAC on a discount cause it beats having to join C-USA or playing a bunch of FCS- MW wannabes. The Bows go Indy with an offer from ESPN to fill the after hours football jones on the East Coast.

Ivy (8)
MEAC (8)
Summit (9) 
America East (9)

Fairly detailed and a decent analysis. See my notes on the PAC and MW happs.

I really don't think the shake up will be that large. The vast majority of these FCS Schools don't have the money, resources, endowments, donors  etc. to play FBS ball.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, shizzle787 said:

Ivy (8)
MEAC (8)
Summit (9) 
America East (9)

The P12 invites UNM and Hawaii for football only....   I mean, just no.  I can see a ton of scenarios where a watered down Pac survives, even getting up to 6 MWC teams if necessary,   But in no way do i see football only invites to UNM and Hawaii or any other MWC school.  I have never even heard of schools like Cal Poly Humboldt and Le Moyne, so props for taking the time to speculate.  Personally i would love to see NMSU, UTEP, and UNM all in the same conference.  I just don't think it happens in the next round of musical chairs.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, NorCalCoug said:

It doesn't have anything to do with which conference is more valuable at the moment and everything to do with what programs offer value to the B1G. Every single school in the B12 would crawl to Chicago over broken glass to accept a Big Ten offer, but none of them offer anything of value to the Big Ten. 

• Thanks 1