Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/14/2022 at 4:18 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I agree with him.

Stanford and Cal should leave the Pac not for the B1G but to create essentially a western Ivy League.

You know, one of those conferences with the now-archaic belief that academics should always be prioritized above athletics. UCD, UCSB, UCI, UCSD, University of Portland, University of Denver, University of Idaho, University of the Pacific, Santa Clara and the like could be possible members.

UCSB sent three players to the NBA in the last decade. (four if you include James Nunnally's cup of coffee, and five if counting JaQuori McLaughlin's 11 mins with the Mavs in '21-'22 ) :shrug:. We've proven "brains and ballers" can co-exist.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, teappotts said:

Why even have sports at all? No one's paying any money to watch that.

Obviously this is just my opinion but I think what you write.. "why even have sports at all?" is what many universities will be thinking in a few years. 

Very few will be making the kind of money needed to keep things going at the level things are moving to and very few will want to deal with the mess that will become NIL (it's already started as a mess)... So I think many universities will start asking that question and several will just decide to only have club sports so that they can no longer worry about keeping up with the Alabamas and ohio states of the world.  like i said, jmo.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 5:25 PM, Someone Else said:

Obviously this is just my opinion but I think what you write.. "why even have sports at all?" is what many universities will be thinking in a few years. 

Very few will be making the kind of money needed to keep things going at the level things are moving to and very few will want to deal with the mess that will become NIL (it's already started as a mess)... So I think many universities will start asking that question and several will just decide to only have club sports so that they can no longer worry about keeping up with the Alabamas and ohio states of the world.  like i said, jmo.

Altimore did an analysis of all of CFB and one of his takeaways was the difference between how schools in the Big12/SEC drive revenue vs PAC/ACC/BIG. In the SEC/Big12 the games drive revenue for the schools overall budget. At PAC, ACC, and B10, the FB revenue isn’t typically major part of the schools overall budget and instead operates as an event where potential major research contacts are made or deals are negotiated. The conferences are already doing different things in the same space, it’s just become more pronounced as the FB revenue has increased. 

On 9/14/2022 at 8:23 PM, jdgaucho said:

UCSB sent three players to the NBA in the last decade. (four if you include James Nunnally's cup of coffee, and five if counting JaQuori McLaughlin's 11 mins with the Mavs in '21-'22 ) :shrug:. We've proven "brains and ballers" can co-exist.

How many people care?

• Facepalm 1

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 9/15/2022 at 6:14 AM, Reverend said:

How many people care?

We all do.

You should to.

• Thanks 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/14/2022 at 5:18 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I agree with him.

Stanford and Cal should leave the Pac not for the B1G but to create essentially a western Ivy League.

You know, one of those conferences with the now-archaic belief that academics should always be prioritized above athletics. UCD, UCSB, UCI, UCSD, University of Portland, University of Denver, University of Idaho, University of the Pacific, Santa Clara and the like could be possible members.

That’s perfect. They could call it the Vineyard League. No beer or BBQ served just wine and cheese. It would be almost like a Polo match. People could dress up and wear hats. My god the fancy hats!!!! Half time is an art show instead!!!! This could work. You might actually get bigger crowds….especially if you link it to a charitable cause. Call it a Gala instead of a Game and you’re done. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/15/2022 at 5:14 AM, Reverend said:

How many people care?

It's not about who cares.   

The 818 poster said Stanford and Cal should essentially de-emphasize athletics excellence by forming a western Ivy League-lite conference - "one of those conferences with the now-archaic belief that academics should always be prioritized above athletics" - and specifically called out my alma mater :shrug: I'm just saying those things can still go hand-in-hand.  You don't have to pick one over the other.  Nothing more

On 9/15/2022 at 10:49 AM, jdgaucho said:

I do love me some cheddar.  But even in the Vineyard League, we wouldn't have members who lose to Cal State Bakersfield 

In the Vineyard League the score doesn’t matter. It’s about the hats, wine moms, Gruyère (aged 2 years at least), and a good cause. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

In the Vineyard League the score doesn’t matter. It’s about the hats, wine moms, Gruyère (aged 2 years at least), and a good cause. 

The game is just a reason for the gathering.

No Stadium over 25k cause they really don't want to deal with crowds and all that traffic. All seating is shaded so they don't have to suffer when it gets above 75°. Add in segregated seating to keep the students and middle class riff raff away from those Coastal Elites.

You've got yourself an Academically and Economically Elite Conference

• Like 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/15/2022 at 9:59 AM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

I like where you're going with this.  Wine moms, high society's version of sugar mama's.

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Incarnate Word is the first school invited right? Get into that Texas market..

4500 acres of Vineyards in Texas hell yes. If you’ve got the vintage you can get it. Although a committee  of sommeliers will determine membership. 

On 9/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, jdgaucho said:

I like where you're going with this.  Wine moms, high society's version of sugar mama's.

Wine moms, wine aunts, wine cougars…recently divorced tech billionaire wives you know the target demo. 

edit: basically the Sex in the City, She-hulk audience. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, jdgaucho said:

It's not about who cares.   

The 818 poster said Stanford and Cal should essentially de-emphasize athletics excellence by forming a western Ivy League-lite conference - "one of those conferences with the now-archaic belief that academics should always be prioritized above athletics" - and specifically called out my alma mater :shrug: I'm just saying those things can still go hand-in-hand.  You don't have to pick one over the other.  Nothing more

there aren't enough west coast ivy league though

On 9/14/2022 at 4:18 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I agree with him.

They have a long tradition going back to the Pac-8 though

But I think the Pac10 is making a mistake by not moving more quick

I said already that San Diego St. and SMU should be the the top ones

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 5:43 PM, Cleopatra said:

there aren't enough west coast ivy league though

No league can match the Ivy, but a league combining Cal/Stanford and the top of the Big West would be the second best conference academically, better than the Big Ten or the ACC:

Cal

Cal Poly

Stanford

UC Davis

UC Irvine

UC Riverside

UC Santa Barbara

UC San Diego

Both Cal and Stanford could survive as football independents, and this league would have good Olympic sports (bad basketball though).

This won’t happen if the Pac Ten survives; but if the Big Ten takes Washington and Oregon, and the four corners leave for the Big 12, I think this is a very plausible scenario. 

On 9/15/2022 at 5:46 PM, Cleopatra said:

They have a long tradition going back to the Pac-8 though

But I think the Pac10 is making a mistake by not moving more quick

I said already that San Diego St. and SMU should be the the top ones

To quote from a comment to Jon WIlner's latest column, this was said: "Nobody cares about Cal any more, including Cal."

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 6:19 PM, bigd said:

No league can match the Ivy, but a league combining Cal/Stanford and the top of the Big West would be the second best conference academically, better than the Big Ten or the ACC:

Cal

Cal Poly

Stanford

UC Davis

UC Irvine

UC Riverside

UC Santa Barbara

UC San Diego

Both Cal and Stanford could survive as football independents, and this league would have good Olympic sports (bad basketball though).

This won’t happen if the Pac Ten survives; but if the Big Ten takes Washington and Oregon, and the four corners leave for the Big 12, I think this is a very plausible scenario. 

A west coast Ivy League needs other state flagships.  I'm certain Nevada and Hawaii would be invited to join this fantasy league if it ever comes to pass.  Not saying they will join,  but they'd give it some serious thought.

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-how-many-teams-should-be-playing-ncaa-division-i-basketball/

Norlander (CBS)-How many teams should be in Division 1? 

"This is a big issue and a touchy subject. No one wants to be demoted. If anything, I was surprised more coaches didn't vote to keep D-I the same size. That 53.7% is a good number, but consider the inverse: 46.3% of coaches we polled believe D-I basketball has too many teams. The coaching community is close to split on this issue."

IMO, I also believe the right number of teams is 275. It would allow the NCAA to go back to the 64-team format while actually adding a net of two or three at-larges bids as six or seven conferences would be no more. It would eliminate the schools that have jumped up for the NCAA tournament money but never done anything of note athletically in Division 1 (looking at you, Sacred Heart, Stonehill, and Merrimack). It would also increase the talent level across the D-1 landscape which would in turn elevate a lot of mid-major programs.

• Haha 1