Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/1/2022 at 2:56 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I, for one, will enjoy adding you guys.  

The UCF pick might be just as bad as the Houston pick for the B12.  But the B12 was desperate to fill holes with warm bodies so, I think their choices were slim. 

Btw, as a Utah fan I wouldn’t ever travel to something called “The Bounce House”. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 12:33 PM, utenation said:

As compared to the Power Gauntlet Houston faces in the AAC? LMAO.

BYU is a solid program. I'll bet they run through Houston like shit through a goose most years. BYU's also a team we've beaten 9 out of the last 10 tries. 

Stop living in the past, @utenation - it's been over 3 years since Utah's last football win against BYU.

On 9/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, utenation said:

The UCF pick might be just as bad as the Houston pick for the B12.  But the B12 was desperate to fill holes with warm bodies so, I think their choices were slim. 

Btw, as a Utah fan I wouldn’t ever travel to something called “The Bounce House”. 

That’s alright, you’d probably not find a ticket anyway.  You can watch on tv, that’s fine with me.

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

On 9/1/2022 at 3:52 PM, Pelado said:

Stop living in the past, @utenation - it's been over 3 years since Utah's last football win against BYU.

Even worse, before 2021, you had to go back to 2009 to find a BYU win.  Ever since Ron McBide came along, it’s been pretty ugly for BYU the last few decades. The overall series is even more embarrassing for BYU.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 3:59 PM, utenation said:

Even worse, before 2021, you had to go back to 2009 to find a BYU win.  Ever since Ron McBide came along, it’s been pretty ugly for BYU the last few decades. The overall series is even more embarrassing for BYU.

And still, BYU football is undefeated against Utah for the last 3 years.

• Facepalm 1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, Pelado said:

And still, BYU football is undefeated against Utah for the last 3 years.

Lol at you throwing in Covid season 2020.  Find some better magic tricks. You are pretty desperate to use a year where we only played about 5 games and no BYU game in the middle of a worldwide pandemic.

On 9/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, Spaztecs said:

Does adding Wazzu, OSU, and Cal really add value to the MW ?

Seriously.

I know Sparty and UNR would be thrilled about adding Cal. Boise and UNR would welcome OWSU as regional rivals.

Outside of that, do these Schools increase tv revenue or interest in the MW ?

If SDSU and up to 3 others leave does adding those Schools make the MW better ?

I wouldn't think they would.  They won't be able to recruit like they did since they can't claim P5.  Their budgets will be wrecked.  I'm cool with adding them but I don't think it will move the needle much.  

On 9/1/2022 at 4:11 PM, utenation said:

Lol at you throwing in Covid season 2020.  Find some better magic tricks. You are pretty desperate to use a year where we only played about 5 games and no BYU game in the middle of a worldwide pandemic.

Nothing but the facts.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:22 PM, Pelado said:

Nothing but the facts.

Wasn’t 2020 the year where BYU decided to play a full season when just about every other team in FBS had health and safety restrictions for good reason?

The same year Zach Wilson padded his stats against cupcakes to get in the NFL? I remember the year before Utah blew this guy up. I think it was the same the year before. 

How’s his NFL career going so far?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, utenation said:

I actually think that Houston was a worse add than UCF.  Long term, I suspect UCF is going to be just fine.  They’re in a good market and recruiting hub.  They’re recruiting is already experiencing a HUGE boost.  They have an excellent coach who can get things going there.  They have a large alumni base and massive student body.  They have a lot going for them.  Houston? Yawn….

You should be nice to your soon to be conference mates either way.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 9/1/2022 at 2:37 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Escalators aren’t meaningless to yearly payouts, raises, or to potential new members though.   That is what they want.  Ou/t leaving one year early is a major piece of leverage for the Big12, as is the additional inventory vacated by the Longhorn network.  We agree that the old Big12 is worth less w/o ou/t, just like the PAC w/o usc, but the tv partners explicitly laid out who to add and how much to add to stay whole.  Same thing happened on an obviously smaller scale with aac.  That doesn’t mean byu/UCF (for example) wins back the texas crowd, but it does add completely new inventory that didn’t exist before.  It’s not about what the texas brand is vs X, it’s about the number of new houses tuning into the Big12, which will be much more sizeable than the old Big12.  

Escalators have never been invoked...thats a fact. And you think the nB12 will outdraw the old big12? Lol. Wasnt like 75% of the b12 most watched games all involving OU and UT? You are dreaming.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:17 AM, alum93 said:

I guess i don't see the benefit of doing a 20 team conference at the G5 level.  I can see the logic for the BiG and SEC because of the insane revenue and contracts being negotiated.  But at the G5 level?  Why create a 20 team conference only to break into 2 10 team division.  You are still only going to play 8-9 conference games.  To me it still comes down to rivalries and fan interest at the G5 level, because the ship has sailed in terms of realistically having any hope of keeping up with P5 teams and budgets.  Keep it regional and hold on to long term rivalries. From that standpoint,  the MWC is in good shape as it exists right now.  Getting OSU and WSU would just make it that much better.  No need to try and go after AAC or CUSA schools back east as I don't think the schools would see any bump at all in ticket sales.  

All of that is fine if you don't care about putting your champion in the best possible position to earn a playoff berth.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:28 PM, utenation said:

Wasn’t 2020 the year where BYU decided to play a full season when just about every other team in FBS had health and safety restrictions for good reason?

The same year Zach Wilson padded his stats against cupcakes to get in the NFL? I remember the year before Utah blew this guy up. I think it was the same the year before. 

How’s his NFL career going so far?

You don't remember 2020?  I guess your age is catching up to you moreso than I thought.  2020 was the season that Utah was so scared to play BYU that they lobbied the Pac12 to cancel the season.

As to Wilson's NFL career, it's going alright in spite of a recent injury.

On 9/1/2022 at 3:52 PM, Pelado said:

Also only 3 years since the kitties lost 9 straight to the Utes. Congrats on your once a decade and a half victory over big brother last year, I hope you savor it.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

On 9/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, Mano said:

Also only 3 years since the kitties lost 9 straight to the Utes. Congrats on your once a decade and a half victory over big brother last year, I hope you savor it.

I'm trying, but you guys keep interjecting!

On 9/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, Pelado said:

You don't remember 2020?  I guess your age is catching up to you moreso than I thought.  2020 was the season that Utah was so scared to play BYU that they lobbied the Pac12 to cancel the season.

As to Wilson's NFL career, it's going alright in spite of a recent injury.

I guess your bar for good QB play is set pretty low.

85064A62-9C03-4489-889E-B83AD2C49C7A.png

On 9/1/2022 at 6:34 PM, AztecSU said:

Escalators have never been invoked...thats a fact. And you think the nB12 will outdraw the old big12? Lol. Wasnt like 75% of the b12 most watched games all involving OU and UT? You are dreaming.

This is not factual.  I’m sorry but you’re misinformed on several fronts.  

On 9/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, Pelado said:

Could be.

So somehow this makes Wilson’s embarrassing stats better?  Utah has never been known as a QB School. Maybe we should compare number of players sent to the NFL for the last 15 years?

Btw, Tyler Huntley is a better QB as a back up free agent. I wonder if the Jets would like their money back?