Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 8/31/2022 at 8:30 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Blind squirrel or has he actually been on point?

He could of been told something. Never know.

One thing is for sure, the PAC keep finding ways to screw themselves.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 8/31/2022 at 7:39 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

And here goes the next round of realignment:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34492879/sources-fox-espn-open-talks-big-12-conference-next-television-deal

I guess the big question now is how fast does this move? It’ll be interesting to see how Wilner spins this one as apparently this wasn’t going to happen per his sources.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1564950031521701889?s=20&t=y0HlUQ2bP089td2DjB2r7A

You’re not very sharp pal. All this article shows is the B12 will be talking to tv partners about a new contract. With a reference to additional schools as an option. 

So why would Wilber “spin” the fact that they will negotiate with TV partners?

I’m pretty sure B12 leadership had many closed door discussions with their TV partners on value with potential  additional schools right after USC/UCLA said they’re leaving. 

So where’s the huge pay increase for the millions of schools begging to get into your conference?

On 8/31/2022 at 10:44 AM, utenation said:

You’re not very sharp pal. All this article shows is the B12 will be talking to tv partners about a new contract. With a reference to additional schools as an option. 

So why would Wilber “spin” the fact that they will negotiate with TV partners?

I’m pretty sure B12 leadership had many closed door discussions with their TV partners on value with potential  additional schools right after USC/UCLA said they’re leaving. 

So where’s the huge pay increase for the millions of schools begging to get into your conference?

Things are happening exactly the way they were layed out.  If you want answers to your questions read previous posts or go to Twitter, the Thamels and McMurphys are explaining the exact why right now.

An extension is best case scenario for the big 12 because it allows third partner (still hearing Amazon) to come in the equation for tier three, which will be significant with more inventory due to future additions.  

The Wilner spin is that he said the big12 couldn’t/wouldn’t open up negotiations and wouldn’t be allowed to discuss tangible numbers with potential new members.  Welp…here we are.  Wilner is all spin right now because all he has to work with is a shitsandwich.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:38 AM, Reverend said:

That was when he was posting 20 times a day and the report said it just started. He could of been told something. Never know.

One thing is for sure, the PAC keep finding ways to screw themselves.

I’m leaning blind squirrel but there’s a high likelihood that things are much further along; the formalities tend to lag the realities.  Kind of like what we talked about earlier with rumors always being rumors until they’re done.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:50 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Things are happening exactly the way they were layed out.  If you want answers to your questions read previous posts or go to Twitter, the Thamels and McMurphys are explaining the exact why right now.

An extension is best case scenario for the big 12 because it allows third partner (still hearing Amazon) to come in the equation for tier three, which will be significant with more inventory due to future additions.  

The Wilner spin is that he said the big12 couldn’t/wouldn’t open up negotiations and wouldn’t be allowed to discuss tangible numbers with potential new members.  Welp…here we are.  

So the question remains. Why have zero P12 schools made a B12 move? Isn’t this the time to strike?

Texas/OU and USC/UCLA all made moves before any TV contract was inked. Yet, somehow they knew what their payday would be beforehand.  I guess those conferences made calls to their potential TV partners about value scenarios.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:02 AM, utenation said:

So the question remains. Why have zero P12 schools made a B12 move? Isn’t this the time to strike?

Texas/OU and USC/UCLA all made moves before any TV contract was inked. Yet, somehow they knew what their payday would be beforehand.  I guess those conferences made calls to their potential TV partners about value scenarios.

They will, you’re just being impatient.  The PAC schools have to be invited and some pac schools thought the BIG was swooping in to rescue them as recently as a week or two ago before the door shut on them.  In reality this is all moving quickly.  You’re trying to make me answer for Wilner nonsense when it’s been nonsense all along.  There have been back channel dealings leading up to now, Wilner was the one saying they couldn’t.  This formality just closes the door on the last straw in his grasp.  Also those schools probably didn’t know exact numbers either just that they were moving to the GD sec or big and knew their situation was vastly improving.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:02 AM, utenation said:

OUT was well after the SEC had a new deal.  The reworked SEC/ESPN deal, adding the 3:30ET game of the week, was signed in 2020.  It just doesnt go into effect until 2024, when the CBS deal ends.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:57 AM, RSF said:

OUT was well after the SEC had a new deal.  The reworked SEC/ESPN deal, adding the 3:30ET game of the week, was signed in 2020.  It just doesnt go into effect until 2024, when the CBS deal ends.

Yeah, fair enough.  I didn't follow details of that whole thing.  But I do know conferences don't have to wait around for "official" negotiations to begin before they play golf with potential TV  partners and ask about adding X,Y, Z teams.

Woosh's story keeps changing.  First, it was the B12 was much more valuable than the P12 with USC/UCLA. Next, it was the B12 is still much more valuable without those teams. After that, 6 P12 teams would be joining the B12 immediately, applications were sent out. 

Now we are waiting for Twitter rumors to come true apparently. 

“For the television networks, the discussions do not affect the formal negotiating window in the contracts. If nothing happens from these conversations, the networks maintain the formal negotiating window in February 2024. This opening of discussions essentially gives Yormark and the conference's television partners two chances to engage.”

OMG! OMG! OMG!  This is such earth shattering news... it changes everything. OMG! OMG! OMG!

On 8/31/2022 at 2:20 PM, Reverend said:

welp.

Legal semantics.  Neither side has to open the contractual window.  As has already been indicated.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, Someone Else said:

“For the television networks, the discussions do not affect the formal negotiating window in the contracts. If nothing happens from these conversations, the networks maintain the formal negotiating window in February 2024. This opening of discussions essentially gives Yormark and the conference's television partners two chances to engage.”

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:02 AM, utenation said:

I don't care how the Pac's acolytes spin it, the rumors are too strong that Arizona would be fine leaving for the B12 and although SDSU has wanted to join the Pac since humans first stood upright, I've heard zero, zip, nada that anything more than informal discussions have transpired about that over the last 60 days. So as inept as the Pac leadership has been and still appears to be, I would only be mildly surprised to hear one of these days that both Arizona and SDSU will be joining the B12.

But, hey, maybe Cal can convince the other eight members to backfill with UC Davis!

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 3:06 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I don't care how the Pac's acolytes spin it, the rumors are too strong that Arizona would be fine leaving for the B12 and although SDSU has wanted to join the Pac since humans first stood upright, I've heard zero, zip, nada that anything more than informal discussions have transpired about that over the last 60 days. So as inept as the Pac leadership has been and still appears to be, I would only be mildly surprised to hear one of these days that both Arizona and SDSU will be joining the B12.

But, hey, maybe Cal can convince the other eight members to backfill with UC Davis!

Like I said on the other thread, IMO, the only way the B12 will be able raid the rest of the PAC is if the B10 wasn't done poaching. That looks to be a dead deal.  If I'm wrong here, I'll own it. 

And you already know what I think of the SDSU add. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 3:20 PM, utenation said:

Like I said on the other thread, IMO, the only way the B12 will able raid the rest of the PAC is if the B10 wasn't done poaching. That looks to be a dead deal.  If I'm wrong here, I'll own it. 

If nobody else leaves the PAC for the B1G, then there's no reason the PAC can't stick together with a good TV deal (not a great deal like the B1G or SEC, but at least comparable to the Big 12).  If there are lingering concerns that Washington/Oregon/Stanford/whoever will not be long for the league or they are demanding unequal revenue sharing, that might push others to strongly consider a new home in the Big 12.

• Cheers 1

On 8/31/2022 at 2:20 PM, utenation said:

Like I said on the other thread, IMO, the only way the B12 will able raid the rest of the PAC is if the B10 wasn't done poaching. That looks to be a dead deal.  If I'm wrong here, I'll own it. 

Appreciate it, brother. I'd always hoped SDSU could manage to follow Utah's lead and gain Pac membership and since we're apparently very close to doing so, it's very frustrating to have to be patient.

To your other point, the B1G seems uninterested in UW and UO. I understand UO because it's located in a very small city which is a good two hours from Portland which isn't that big itself. However, I don't understand why the B1G wouldn't want UW. Maybe because unlike UO, UW doesn't want the B1G?

On 8/31/2022 at 3:45 PM, Pelado said:

If nobody else leaves the PAC for the B1G, then there's no reason the PAC can't stick together with a good TV deal (not a great deal like the B1G or SEC, but at least comparable to the Big 12).  If there are lingering concerns that Washington/Oregon/Stanford/whoever will not be long for the league or they are demanding unequal revenue sharing, that might push others to strongly consider a new home in the Big 12.

Last week I posted an interview with a P12 AD where he was asked about the unequal revenue issue. He said, that's never came up in their meetings.  I've also heard no other rumblings from school admin about the issue. I'm pretty sure this might be a show stopper for some schools in the conference.  I tend to rely more on info from ADs and presidents than from Twitter Rangers and message board "insiders". I personally think this is a dead issue. 

I also think both the P10 and B12 have a really good idea of what their next contracts will look like including the what if scenarios. If there was big incentive to move, I say why wait? Things can change very quickly and you need to handle your business as a conference.   I think both contracts will look similar on payout per school, which is why I think there's been no real news since USC/UCLA. The B12 exit fees are probably show stoppers, especially if the money is pretty equal.

Again, just my opinion.

• Like 1