Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 7/21/2022 at 11:09 AM, RSF said:

I'm not missing that fact at all.  Those people are watching on TV.  And they're not the ones complaining about the 'late' kickoff.  It's the locals complaining about their 7:30/8pm kickoff.  Not a time slot the Big 12 can fill (easily).  But the Pac 12 can.

YBU has been filling that slot on  ESPN3 for decades !

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 7/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

If ESPN wants the late night football coverage and the current Pac-12 members hate late-night kickoffs, there’s an easy solution…

Just sayin’.

When have contracts ever been about what the schools want with TV? The schools want the Money, and they will do anything the TV partners want for that money but they also want tv coverage to help with recruiting as well and those late games can help as well. 

So I was reading some articles today and seems most people think it will be a quiet 30 Days or so, but could be a busy end of the year as schools decide what direction they want to go with the new rules for divisions and such people think will take effect next year. 

But did see that western conferences would look at expanding from FCS or other conferences and had no interests in Division II schools as none were really looked as ready to move up from Division I where there are several Division II schools back east looking to possibly move up to Division by the end of the year if they do

On 7/20/2022 at 12:26 PM, RSF said:

It is amusing that 7:30/8:00 pm local time is considered 'late night'.  What time do you think it is for many of the SEC/ACC/B10 primetime games is?

And what time is it in Bristol at 7:30 local in the PST?

On 7/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

If ESPN wants the late night football coverage and the current Pac-12 members hate late-night kickoffs, there’s an easy solution…

Just sayin’.

Have the Pacific TZ Pac and MWC schools bond together to form their own conference - and then overcharge these freaking networks for late night access!

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 2:16 PM, AztecSU said:

And what time is it in Bristol at 7:30 local in the PST?

Not that it matters in the least, but 10:30.  But then nobody in Bristol is attending the game so it's not an issue.  It's the locals that seem to have an issue with night games.  A lot of the country LOVES going to night games.  And on the east coast those TV prime time games kick off at...7:30/8pm locally.  But not in the West, for whatever reason.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, RSF said:

Not that it matters in the least, but 10:30.  But then nobody in Bristol is attending the game so it's not an issue.  It's the locals that seem to have an issue with night games.  A lot of the country LOVES going to night games.  And on the east coast those TV prime time games kick off at...7:30/8pm locally.  But not in the West, for whatever reason.

Ahh so now you move the goal posts and try to make this about attendance, but I did not see the OP mention that. The late night reference is in relation to the broadcasting environment for the most part. 7:30 PST games rarely have super favorable matchups like a 7:30 EST game would, and why would they, they PST game will be when most of the east coast is heading to bed. Its not an apples to apples comparison. 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:47 PM, AztecSU said:

Ahh so now you move the goal posts and try to make this about attendance, but I did not see the OP mention that. The late night reference is in relation to the broadcasting environment for the most part. 7:30 PST games rarely have super favorable matchups like a 7:30 EST game would, and why would they, they PST game will be when most of the east coast is heading to bed. Its not an apples to apples comparison. 

Not really.  My point all along was about the western locals complaining about night kickoffs.  Something that is smiled upon east of the Rockies.  Which was the issue I was responding to, not TV ratings.  I've seen people HERE complain about 7pm kickoffs.  Not because Gomer in Mayberry, NC, wont stay up to watch, but because they simply dont like attending night games.  The goal posts are in the same spot.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:47 PM, AztecSU said:

Another thing the east and central time zone people seem not to realize.

How many hours have you been watching CFB when the 7:30 EST game kicks? 7.5 hours, maybe 8.5 if there is an early kick. How many hours have you been watching CFB when 7:30 PST game kicks? 10.5 - 11.5 hours. Again, these are things that people who don't live out here ever think about. And guess what we know east coasters aren't watching 10 hours of CFB, ratings and east coast AP voters prove it time and time again. Pretending like time zone isn't beneficial or detrimental these days is just goofy. 

• Facepalm 1

It was all good and fun until the Big 10 decided to just grab everybody else, too. 

Edit: In all seriousness how is the Pac 12 supposed to get any TV deal done now that those four schools are back on the Big 10 board. Sucks to be the Pac 12 commish right now.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 4:59 PM, Koji Vu said:

It was all good and fun until the Big 10 decided to just grab everybody else, too. 

Edit: In all seriousness how is the Pac 12 supposed to get any TV deal done now that those four schools are back on the Big 10 board. Sucks to be the Pac 12 commish right now.

Man I hope the B1G doesn't bail Cal out. 

• Like 3

On 7/26/2022 at 4:08 PM, Wyobraska said:

Man I hope the B1G doesn't bail Cal out. 

As much as they don't deserve it, I kinda wanna see how Cal fans - if there are any - react to being with kindred schools like Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State.

Berkeley and Happy Valley are a perfect match, ya know.

On 7/26/2022 at 3:59 PM, Koji Vu said:

Warren says there are schools that would add value.

Then sources mention six.

Additionally in the article other sources say if the Big 10 raids the PAC, then Az, ASU, CO and UT could go to the Big 12.

I feel like I am reading the same scenarios over and over again. That same speculation has been on message boards and social media for weeks.

• Like 3

On 7/26/2022 at 12:49 PM, RSF said:

Not really.  My point all along was about the western locals complaining about night kickoffs.  Something that is smiled upon east of the Rockies.  Which was the issue I was responding to, not TV ratings.  I've seen people HERE complain about 7pm kickoffs.  Not because Gomer in Mayberry, NC, wont stay up to watch, but because they simply dont like attending night games.  The goal posts are in the same spot.

Don’t see Fresno fans complain about 7:00 pm kick-offs.   It’s the 12:00 noon kick-offs that will kill you.   

On the other hand done a couple late night Nevada games and froze my ass off.  

On 7/26/2022 at 12:49 PM, RSF said:

People in cold weather locales don't like night games. People in Cali love them cause it gives them more beach time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Americans Mayor

On 7/26/2022 at 3:59 PM, Koji Vu said:

Looks like they will have to wait until the end of the contract to start negotioans.

As @Headbuttinsisted, this announcement won't cause any instability.  B)

It's already causing the San Andreas to shake in PAC Country.

Americans Mayor

On 7/26/2022 at 4:29 PM, jdgaucho said:

As much as they don't deserve it, I kinda wanna see how Cal fans - if there are any - react to being with kindred schools like Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State.

Berkeley and Happy Valley are a perfect match, ya know.

I can see the Cal folk rollin' with Klan types at Indiana and Purdue games.

Americans Mayor

On 7/27/2022 at 1:04 PM, Spaztecs said:

I can see the Cal folk rollin' with Klan types at Indiana and Purdue games.

The bbq cookouts will be legendary. 

• Thanks 1