Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 6/1/2022 at 9:41 AM, bigd said:

The Big West is better than the MW in almost all olympic sports. 

I wasn't referring to quality of BW sports, I was referring to its national perception.

I do agree with Wyobraska that funding of UH's athletic department is also problematic. As to geography, that problem is neutralized to a great extent by philosophy. I'm not sure if it still exists but at one point, P12 leadership was actually discussing the possibility of expanding into Japan at some future time.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:16 PM, Wyobraska said:

I'd say it is more likely geography and University funding 

Clearly the Pac12 has no interest in expanding right now, especially with G5 schools.  If that were to change for whatever reason, I think UH's biggest obstacle to landing an invitation is the size of its $467 million endowment, which needs to at least double to reach Pac-12 territory.  UH won't be considered an institutional peer by other Pac-12 schools until this has been addressed.

Geography is obviously a concern too, but as SUDSFan suggests, has the potential to work in UH's favor.  Saturday evening in Honolulu translates to Sunday afternoon in the western Pacific Rim (Australia, New Zealand, Phillipines, Japan), so if the Pac-12 wants to be able to broadcast live events to that part of the world it could benefit from playing them at UH.

The factors in UH's favor are academics, athletic facilities, and prominence in niche sports.  UH is an R1 doctoral research university and land grant/sea grant/space grant institution, sponsors law and medical and business schools, and operates a National Cancer Institute cancer research center.  Its future new 35K-seat stadium is now funded (though construction hasn't begun), and its 10K-seat arena and 4K-seat baseball stadium are both first-class venues.   Men's volleyball has won two consecutive national championships, women's water polo is a perennial top 10 program, beach volleyball is a top 15 program, and of course women's volleyball has a great tradition with four national championships and a streak of 28 straight NCAA Tournament appearances (excluding 2020 in which the Big West season was cancelled).

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 6/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Clearly the Pac12 has no interest in expanding right now, especially with G5 schools.  If that were to change for whatever reason, I think UH's biggest obstacle to landing an invitation is the size of its $467 million endowment, which needs to at least double to reach Pac-12 territory.  UH won't be considered an institutional peer by other Pac-12 schools until this has been addressed.

Geography is obviously a concern too, but as SUDSFan suggests, has the potential to work in UH's favor.  Saturday evening in Honolulu translates to Sunday afternoon in the western Pacific Rim (Australia, New Zealand, Phillipines, Japan), so if the Pac-12 wants to be able to broadcast live events to that part of the world it could benefit from playing them at UH.

The factors in UH's favor are academics, athletic facilities, and prominence in niche sports.  UH is an R1 doctoral research university and land grant/sea grant/space grant institution, sponsors law and medical and business schools, and operates a National Cancer Institute cancer research center.  Its future new 35K-seat stadium is now funded (though construction hasn't begun), and its 10K-seat arena and 4K-seat baseball stadium are both first-class venues.   Men's volleyball has won two consecutive national championships, women's water polo is a perennial top 10 program, beach volleyball is a top 15 program, and of course women's volleyball has a great tradition with four national championships and a streak of 28 straight NCAA Tournament appearances (excluding 2020 in which the Big West season was cancelled).

so pretty much they need to work on their academics and their in? I know for a fact that another issue is that you're gonna have to add another school in that same region. Unless the pac 12 wants to go to 13 teams since they got rid of divisions. 

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:47 AM, NewGuy12 said:

so pretty much they need to work on their academics and their in? I know for a fact that another issue is that you're gonna have to add another school in that same region. Unless the pac 12 wants to go to 13 teams since they got rid of divisions. 

Didn't say UH would be "in" but rather that the university needs a better-funded endowment to be an acceptable candidate.

Just 'cause you can make it to the interview stage doesn't mean you've got the job.  Depends on who else is applying.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 7:54 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Today’s standards for the PAC won’t matter by the time they have to expand.  They’ll take whoever they need to stay relevant.  The prestige that still exists will be gone with the teams that leave.

If push comes to shove, I guess we can always borrow the blueprints on how the B12 survived?

Grab BYU, a roll of duck tape, some wood glue and hope nobody notices that your stallions left leaving zero blue blood brands in football and relegated to mostly just a good basketball conference. 

4 G5 schools haven’t had one snap or one free throw in a P5 league but I’m sure they will dominate from day 1.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

I would not have guessed the Wyo has a bigger endowment than UH and is a much smaller school.  Yea that is a problem

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:33 AM, quickdraw said:

I haven’t checked in for the past 230 pages. Anyone realigned yet?

Yes.  SDSU and UC Davis to the Pac 12 - in women's lacrosse

On 6/2/2022 at 7:33 AM, quickdraw said:

I haven’t checked in for the past 230 pages. Anyone realigned yet?

There's been a ton of realignment at the FCS level.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:46 AM, bigd said:

There's been a ton of realignment at the FCS level.

Not with any of the bigger names in FCS.  Minor chair moving at best

On 6/2/2022 at 12:25 AM, utenation said:

If push comes to shove, I guess we can always borrow the blueprints on how the B12 survived?

Grab BYU, a roll of duck tape, some wood glue and hope nobody notices that your stallions left leaving zero blue blood brands in football and relegated to mostly just a good basketball conference. 

4 G5 schools haven’t had one snap or one free throw in a P5 league but I’m sure they will dominate from day 1.

I suspect the PAC learned several things from the big 12 mess over the last several years.  Hopefully the first thing they learned is that they shouldn’t wait to expand until after schools have decided to leave.  The big 12 nearly killed themselves with complacency.  Luckily there were solid options left for them.  Not sure about the PAC outside of SDSU.  Don’t think byu would join a USCw or Oregon-less PAC.  Also think there would have to be too much swallowed pride on the part of the PAC to invite Boise so I don’t see them as a likely add unless they go with 4 programs.   Bottom line the sooner they add the sooner they can carve the new reputation of the conference sans big brands.

The biggest issue facing the PAC as it relates to using big12 blueprints is that the big12 was strong in football without texas or Oklahoma and picked up some very good football schools while also being the best conference in basketball without texas or Oklahoma and picked up some very good basketball schools.  There is also significant advantages in the big12’s fan engagement comparatively.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

How did the Big 12 nearly kill itself with complacency? Are you suggesting that adding a bunch of G5 schools would have kept Texas and Oklahoma happy?

Id imagine the opposite would’ve been the case. Texas has no desire to be in the same league as a directional school. They would’ve left immediately if the Big 12 added AAC schools.

The pac 12 has no reason to expand unless a blue blood program is available.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:58 PM, bigd said:

How did the Big 12 nearly kill itself with complacency? Are you suggesting that adding a bunch of G5 schools would have kept Texas and Oklahoma happy?

Id imagine the opposite would’ve been the case. Texas has no desire to be in the same league as a directional school. They would’ve left immediately if the Big 12 added AAC schools.

He's wooshing you.

• Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, bigd said:

What I’m saying is if they added the same schools back when they toyed with expansion in 2016 then they would’ve avoided all the mess they just went through and would already have an established league.  They knew they needed to expand and didn’t.  It nearly cost them.  It will cost the pac if they do the same.  The other points you make are factually incorrect.  

• Troll 1