Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

17 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Them, UMKC, UT-Arlington and another school have been pushing to become that 12th team in the conference. If UMKC is interested in leaving Summit, then maybe Horizon goes after them to remain at 12?

A former D1A football conference 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

2 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

OU athletics is currently a billion dollars in the hole.  Texas isn’t giving them 80 mil with the expectation of a payback.  Get real.

How does a School with that much success, huge TV and gameday revenues rack up that much debt ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Just now, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Southernmost schools skewed east vs northernmost schools skewed west.  Baylor and OSU can’t be in the same division, so you have to put one of them in north.  

Why can't they be in the same Division ?

Do they have that much animosity towards one another ?

Americans Mayor

3 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

How does a School with that much success, huge TV and gameday revenues rack up that much debt ?

Ridiculous coaches' salaries, facility upgrades...

9 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

OU athletics is currently a billion dollars in the hole.  Texas isn’t giving them 80 mil with the expectation of a payback.  Get real.

Well, first of all, no they are not.  The SCHOOL has a billion in debt, thanks to a construction boom on campus having nothing to do with the athletic dept.  Second, the payback would/could come out of the sudden jump in TV revenues.  Same arrangement Maryland has.  And Texas is in no way that charitable.  Not a difficult concept....even for you.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

37 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Woosh being Woosh....

OU is one of the schools that actually sends money from the athletic program BACK to the school.

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

They feel they are driving the bus in the new Big12.  It’s not animosity, it’s the same mindset for putting ou and texas in separate divisions, just silly because nobody coming into the Big12 is worried about them except for maybe baylor in basketball.  

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

They can, and they dont.  Woosh being woosh.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

Well, first of all, no they are not.  The SCHOOL has a billion in debt, thanks to a construction boom on campus having nothing to do with the athletic dept.  Second, the payback would/could come out of the sudden jump in TV revenues.  Same arrangement Maryland has.  And Texas is in no way that charitable.  Not a difficult concept....even for you.

Chop up your cowpie however you wish, you’re still going to have to eat it.  Texas isn’t bankrolling OU.  Quit being ridiculous.  And Maryland is broke at the athletic level, terrible example for your argument at least.  They are so broke they’re still borrowing from future years’ payouts for today.  

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

24 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Chop up your cowpie however you wish, you’re still going to have to eat it.  Texas isn’t bankrolling OU.  Quit being ridiculous.  And Maryland is broke at the athletic level, terrible example for your argument at least.

Except they've already offered to do just that.  Because ESPN still owes UT 9 figures for LHN.

Put the shovel down.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, Gonzagafan2021 said:

From what I've heard the higher ups at Gonzaga are worried about how much of a loss the TV contract will be once BYU leaves. Even though MW tv contract isnt the best it's still better than the WCC's. Plus they are starting to get worried about scheduling good OOC opponents as well. Apparently a lot of the teams like Duke, Texas Tech, and etc didn't wanna travel so far out west just to play a game against us. At least playing in the MWC will give us some decent teams to play against within the season. 

I really hope this is true. I have always said that the idea of Gonzaga joining the MWC as a full member is a pipe dream for institutional reasons. They are a perfect fit among the small, private, mostly religious schools in the WCC. They would be an extremely strange fit among the large public universities in the MWC. It's just not happening. But some kind of basketball scheduling agreement, on the other hand, could be very advantageous for both sides. I'm not sure how the details of such an agreement would work, but I hope both sides can make it happen.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Gonzagafan2021 said:

From what I've heard the higher ups at Gonzaga are worried about how much of a loss the TV contract will be once BYU leaves. Even though MW tv contract isnt the best it's still better than the WCC's. Plus they are starting to get worried about scheduling good OOC opponents as well. Apparently a lot of the teams like Duke, Texas Tech, and etc didn't wanna travel so far out west just to play a game against us. At least playing in the MWC will give us some decent teams to play against within the season. 

You guys had your chance to join the MWC and passed on it so are you saying that's still in the cards somewhere down the road?

Gonzaga should also be cognizant of the possibility that both SDSU and Boise State (if its football program doesn't take a big dump) will be invited to the B12 before the end of the decade. Just how good would the MWC's next TV deal be if that was to happen?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, Spaztecs said:

I don't get why small B-Ball Schools go shopping for Conferences they are not regionally aligned with.

You don’t think the University of MISSOURI - Kansas City is regionally aligned with the MISSOURI Valley Conference? 

14 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

You don’t think the University of MISSOURI - Kansas City is regionally aligned with the MISSOURI Valley Conference? 

Wasn't referring to them.

It just happened I inadvertently quoted that one after reading about UTA going to the Valley.

I can't believe the grass is greener when you're the School out on the Island.

The Big East struggles geographically as much as the Big Conferences do mathematically.

Americans Mayor

31 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Wasn't referring to them.

It just happened I inadvertently quoted that one after reading about UTA going to the Valley.

I can't believe the grass is greener when you're the School out on the Island.

The Big East struggles geographically as much as the Big Conferences do mathematically.

O ok, yea UTA to the valley would have been weird. 

In another move, this one on the east coast. Stony Brook, Monmouth and Hampton will all join the Colonial Athletic Association. The CAA recently lost James Madison, but they'll pick up these three programs beginning this July.

footer_fcs.png