Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

I'm not sure the GOR would be as big a deal for the Big Ten as it is for some other conferences.  The Big 10 has that monster conference tv network and they would still be able to televise all of the road games of the team it poaches.  Plus, I'm sure they would be able to get higher carriage fees in that school's area.  That was the whole reason for taking Rutgers and Maryland.  Atlanta might have enough television sets to make a deal like that work.  Let the ACC have the Georgia Tech home games, but still get the market penetration by all cable providers in Georgia paying more for the Big 10 Network to watch the Jackets on the road.  I'm not sure how those numbers would pencil out.  I don't know if the Pac 12 has a GOR, but I'm sure the LA market would be big enough to make that deal work for the Big 10 Network too, in regards to USC.

16 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

I think the ACC let the academics argument fly out the window when they took in Louisville.

If the B1G wanted Kansas, they'd have already done it.  If the B1G truly has targets, it's some combination of UNC, UVA and Ga Tech to the Southeast or 4 to 6 PAC schools.  I still like the Prestige Worldwide idea of the B1G taking the Cali schools, UO, UW and CU and forming three 7 team divisions with a two-tier playoff (division champs and one wild card).

There was some wheeling and dealing that happened to get Louisville and invite into ACC, going into the meeting there wasn't any sure bets on who was getting invited and then Louisville got one. However that is also why West Virginia won't be getting a sniff from ACC because their academics are lower than Louisville is. Now I think if there is massive movement on the P5 and they need to take them for sure, but I don't see P5 moving right now.

B10 and Kansas have talked as recently as this past summer about joining, there is still interest there from both sides, is it enough to move, who knows. Virginia and North Carolina are also in their sightline as well, but an issue with going after ACC schools is the Grant of Rights agreement that all the schools have signed. ACC media deal doesn't expire until 2036 and if a school left they would owe a $52 million exit fee (yes which would be talked down) but then they would forfeit the rest of their TV money from the ACC deal until the end of the deal. 

4 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

Wow. Do you even know what a GOR is? If not, maybe you should go research the topic before you try to participate in this thread.

Of course Oklahoma and Texas had a GOR. That's why they are not joining the SEC until 2025 after the GOR expires. If they joined before then, all of their TV rights would still belong to the Big 12, which would completely defeat the point of them joining the SEC.

There's a slight question of whether or not a GOR is legally enforceable. Nobody has ever tested this question in court. But most attorneys think it is, and I don't think any conference is going to want to risk having to pay potentially 9 figures to another conference after a GOR is breached. So I think it is very unlikely that the ACC gets raided before its GOR expires in 2036.

When they whole Texas and Oklahoma thing was going on, some shows were talking to lawyers who were saying the GOR would probably hold up in court a lot better than the whole exit fee thing would.

If that is true who knows because it could come down to the whim of the judge but I also, like you said, don't know if a conference or school would want to test that unless there was little time left.

2 hours ago, masterfrog said:

I'm not sure the GOR would be as big a deal for the Big Ten as it is for some other conferences.  The Big 10 has that monster conference tv network and they would still be able to televise all of the road games of the team it poaches.  Plus, I'm sure they would be able to get higher carriage fees in that school's area.  That was the whole reason for taking Rutgers and Maryland.  Atlanta might have enough television sets to make a deal like that work.  Let the ACC have the Georgia Tech home games, but still get the market penetration by all cable providers in Georgia paying more for the Big 10 Network to watch the Jackets on the road.  I'm not sure how those numbers would pencil out.  I don't know if the Pac 12 has a GOR, but I'm sure the LA market would be big enough to make that deal work for the Big 10 Network too, in regards to USC.

The only two conferences that I have heard about GOR with was Big 12 and the ACC which I think it was just not to long ago they came up with one, but was hearing more conferences are considering to go to those rather than depending on the exit fee requirements

8 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

The only two conferences that I have heard about GOR with was Big 12 and the ACC which I think it was just not to long ago they came up with one, but was hearing more conferences are considering to go to those rather than depending on the exit fee requirements

All 5 P5 conferences have GORs.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

16 hours ago, Reverend said:

White trash inbred. Worry about your crack whore trailer park mom and alcoholic abusive daddy instead of being a know it all on the web. It's no secret why you act like you do. No one likes your stupid ass so all you have is this forum. Being a piece of shit all the time has to get tiring. Are you married? I bet that dumb bitch cheats on you constantly because no one wants to be around you. Right? How about kids? Are the ignorant and useless too? You have zero value. No reason for you to exist. White trash garbage.

Seriously, guy...seek help.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I bet the Presidents of the rank and file ACC schools are pretty nervous about the OU/UT situation, since this is going to show just how effective these GORs are. If OUT is able to negotiate an early exit, it sets the precedent that these GORs are just there to make defections more costly, not ironclad clauses that will keep a conference intact. But if OUT really wait the GORs out, then the ACC Presidents can at least relax until around 2032. 

11 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I bet the Presidents of the rank and file ACC schools are pretty nervous about the OU/UT situation, since this is going to show just how effective these GORs are. If OUT is able to negotiate an early exit, it sets the precedent that these GORs are just there to make defections more costly, not ironclad clauses that will keep a conference intact. But if OUT really wait the GORs out, then the ACC Presidents can at least relax until around 2032. 

They're not going to wait it out until '25, because neither side wants that.  And at this point, they'd only be buying out 2 years (23-24 and 24-25), and its still going to be a shitload of money. The GOR gives the conference bargaining power.  I dont think the ACC will be nervous until 2032 or so regardless.

46 minutes ago, RSF said:

They're not going to wait it out until '25, because neither side wants that.  And at this point, they'd only be buying out 2 years (23-24 and 24-25), and its still going to be a shitload of money. The GOR gives the conference bargaining power.  I dont think the ACC will be nervous until 2032 or so regardless.

The B1G will be negotiating a new TV deal soon, so they will be able to get an idea of what their payout would be with, for example, UNC and UVA, or ND and whoever. If OUT negotiates an early exit, then this just becomes a math problem for the B1G; what year does the benefit of expansion outweigh the costs? It’s one thing to theorize that a GOR could be bought out, it’s another to KNOW it can be and have that dollar amount be public knowledge. 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:21 PM, sactowndog said:

One thing ignored in the conference realignment mess is the impact it will have on MWC schedules.  Fresno now has games BYU (23), New Mexico State (24), and @BYU (27) it will likely have to replace.  

I am sure others are impacted also.  

I bet BYU keeps Fresno on schedule.  OOC games on the west coast will be a priority going forward playing in a central time zone conference.

• Like 2

v0icAvfW.jpg

47 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The B1G will be negotiating a new TV deal soon, so they will be able to get an idea of what their payout would be with, for example, UNC and UVA, or ND and whoever. If OUT negotiates an early exit, then this just becomes a math problem for the B1G; what year does the benefit of expansion outweigh the costs? It’s one thing to theorize that a GOR could be bought out, it’s another to KNOW it can be and have that dollar amount be public knowledge. 

I think there have already been some talks as CBS has been mentioned a lot lately involved

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Do you think it will actually happen like UNC/Duke will go?

I don't think any of the NC or VA schools would leave for the B1G. BC, Pitt, and Syracuse probably won't be invited. Louisville definitely won't be invited. Clemson and FSU have their eyes on the SEC and I don't see Miami in the B1G.  I do, however, see Georgia Tech making the move if the GOR can be figured out. My guess is they would be paired with Kansas. 

5 minutes ago, shizzle787 said:

I don't think any of the NC or VA schools would leave for the B1G. BC, Pitt, and Syracuse probably won't be invited. Louisville definitely won't be invited. Clemson and FSU have their eyes on the SEC and I don't see Miami in the B1G.  I do, however, see Georgia Tech making the move if the GOR can be figured out. My guess is they would be paired with Kansas. 

I know the B1G views it as more than sports but what terrible adds from an athletic standpoint besides Kansas bball.  

3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I know the B1G views it as more than sports but what terrible adds from an athletic standpoint besides Kansas bball.  

Yea, but Rutgers and Maryland didn't really move the sports needle either when they were added. Georgia Tech and Kansas are both AAU schools, which is very important to the B1G. I think the B1G has their eyes on UNC and UVA but those two might enjoy being the UT/OU of the ACC. 

• Like 1