Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

25 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

That is the biggest move i seen since Jimbo leaving FSU for A&M. What a power move. I may have to remove the PAC now lol

But Jimbo had some connections with Texas A&m or their AD didn't he so that wasn't a huge surprise there? And i don't know Florida St seems to be turning into a swamp there, they forgot where they were before Bobby Bowden

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

From a football perspective those moves are +++++ing stupid and does nothing for the B1G but I get there is. Slot more at play than just football.  

Well they clearly didn't invite Rutgers and Maryland for football reasons, either. From what I have been told, Delaney was playing a very long game. His basic concern was that the old B1G was concentrated in midwestern states that are slowly losing population relative to the rest of the country. He thought it was critical for the long-term survival of the B1G to expand into states that are growing. Hence the reason he invited Rutgers and Maryland and tried to lure UVA and UNC as well.

Aside from long-term demographics, if you invite the largest and most popular flagship universities in 2-4 rapidly growing states, that ensures that the BTN will be on basic cable in these states, which is a massive revenue stream even if they don't have great football teams. And while basketball TV rights are worth far less than football TV rights, they are still worth something. And if UVA, UNC, and Duke basketball games start to show up on the BTN, that certainly won't hurt the BTN's subscriber count.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanfordAggie said:

Well they clearly didn't invite Rutgers and Maryland for football reasons, either. From what I have been told, Delaney was playing a very long game. His basic concern was that the old B1G was concentrated in midwestern states that are slowly losing population relative to the rest of the country. He thought it was critical for the long-term survival of the B1G to expand into states that are growing. Hence the reason he invited Rutgers and Maryland and tried to lure UVA and UNC as well.

Aside from long-term demographics, if you invite the largest and most popular flagship universities in 2-4 rapidly growing states, that ensures that the BTN will be on basic cable in these states, which is a massive revenue stream even if they don't have great football teams. And while basketball TV rights are worth far less than football TV rights, they are still worth something. And if UVA, UNC, and Duke basketball games start to show up on the BTN, that certainly won't hurt the BTN's subscriber count.

Yup it was mostly about getting BTN in new markets and getting into new market's for Maryland and Rutgers to go. 

16 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Nothing says Mtn West like a directional school from the Mid-South...

The MWC should be leery of adding any school not in Texas and totally ignore any schools east of Texas - travel for a school with no anything with the MWC makes zero sense 

16 hours ago, Fowl said:

The B1G wants UVA, UNC, Duke, and GA Tech.  They are prepared to wait out the GOR.  They have no interest in Kansas or Iowa St.  I have a really good source on this,  Kansas and Iowa St will never be in the big 10 unless some radical things happen.   

Iowa St does nothing for the B10 - Iowa covers whatever the state of Iowa brings - Kansas value is that it brings eastern Kansas (where most of the population is), MAJOR BB Program that rivals any in the B10, and a % of the Kansas City market  - But is BB alone enough to make the move ? 

UVA, UNC / Duke & GA Tech look like market moves........bring in some of Atlanta, more of the DC area & pretty much grab a good % of Charlotte & North Carolina eyes. .......would shore up the Penn St, Rutgers Maryland contingent and reunites old ACC pals Maryland with Ga Tech, VA, Duke & UNC 

2 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

Would be cool if either Big12 or B1G Ten can actually live by their name. I think the Big 12 is done expanding 

There's nothing out there that makes the coming new B12 any better off........only way the B12 expands beyond their recent back fill is if Kansas or another school or two leave - the B12 is in survival mode & if they lose they can't gain the value back by adding ..........next B12 add's would even be more desperate than the last round of adding BYU, Cincy, etc 

The B12 is down to ONE marquee program & that's Kansas Basketball - the new B12 might be a stronger BB conference than FB 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

That is the biggest move i seen since Jimbo leaving FSU for A&M. What a power move. I may have to remove the PAC now lol

I'm wondering if the move to the SEC is what encouraged this. He would have an easier time winning games in the Pac-12 overall then compared to the SEC. 

36 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

There's nothing out there that makes the coming new B12 any better off........only way the B12 expands beyond their recent back fill is if Kansas or another school or two leave - the B12 is in survival mode & if they lose they can't gain the value back by adding ..........next B12 add's would even be more desperate than the last round of adding BYU, Cincy, etc 

The B12 is down to ONE marquee program & that's Kansas Basketball - the new B12 might be a stronger BB conference than FB 

Yeah makes sense if no one leaves the Big 12 at the moment then there is no need to expand at all

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

But Jimbo had some connections with Texas A&m or their AD didn't he so that wasn't a huge surprise there? And i don't know Florida St seems to be turning into a swamp there, they forgot where they were before Bobby Bowden

The AD at A&M worked with Fisher.

That guy is now the AD at LSU.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, NewGuy12 said:

Yeah makes sense if no one leaves the Big 12 at the moment then there is no need to expand at all

B12 , AAC  & MWC are in similar situations - if a school leaves the options to fill the void are not going to fill the void of the school that leaves ---- And adding just to add isn't really a winner especially if the addition(s) are far from the conference footprint 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

B12 , AAC  & MWC are in similar situations - if a school leaves the options to fill the void are not going to fill the void of the school that leaves ---- And adding just to add isn't really a winner especially if the addition(s) are far from the conference footprint 

Yeah makes sense. Don't wanna waste money adding programs that don't fit the profile of the conference 

4 hours ago, NewGuy12 said:

Iowa State or Oklahoma State weren't going to be considered into that pair

Let alone West Virginia

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

8 minutes ago, RSF said:

The AD at A&M worked with Fisher.

That guy is now the AD at LSU.

Ok Thank You, I just couldn't remember the connection there at the time but knew he knew someone there so it wasn't that far fetched. And that is probably why they started to connect him to LSU already, but the smart bet is stay at A&M

3 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

All I know is that if the Big 12 can keep all its premier coaches in football it is a better conference than the PAC and ACC top to bottom

:rotflmfao:

So that's why Lincoln Riley is headed to the PAC and Matt Campbell may be right behind him.

:thumbsup:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 minutes ago, NewGuy12 said:

Yeah makes sense. Don't wanna waste money adding programs that don't fit the profile of the conference 

MWC doesn't make the $$ to add schools east of TX & have to deal with travel to play schools that have no history or no commonality with the MWC 

As a UNLV fan. I really don't care if UNLV ever plays a team in the AAC, CUSA, Sun Belt etc :shrug:

7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

:rotflmfao:

So that's why Lincoln Riley is headed to the PAC and Matt Campbell may be right behind him.

:thumbsup:

I wasnt counting Riley with the SEC move. I was thinking more about Fickell, Gundy, Sitake, Aranda 

Now with Riley heading to SoCal i may have to remove the Pac from the Shame list 

Related image

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

MWC doesn't make the $$ to add schools east of TX & have to deal with travel to play schools that have no history or no commonality with the MWC 

As a UNLV fan. I really don't care if UNLV ever plays a team in the AAC, CUSA, Sun Belt etc :shrug:

I guess then utep or calling up Montana & Montana State?

7 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

Interesting. I have it on pretty good authority that the B1G at least put out feelers to UVA and UNC in the last round of realignment, and UNC gave some very serious thought to accepting their offer. (I know there was a huge backlash from fans and donors about a potential move to the B1G. I think it might have happened if the fans and boosters had supported the idea.) I had heard that Delaney's wet dream was to grab UVA, UNC, Ga. Tech, and Florida. Florida is probably a pipe dream, but they might at least consider it given the B1G's academic reputation. And it would be a major coup to steal one of the SEC's marquee programs. I had also heard that the B1G didn't really want Duke but UNC was refusing to leave the ACC without Duke, so they were willing to invite Duke as well if that is what it took to get UNC to make the move. But who knows? One way or another, I agree that further B1G expansion is very unlikely until the ACC's GOR expires.

Agreed. I can't see Florida in the B1G if for no other reason than as a Deep South school with year-round hot weather and even hotter women, neither of which B1G schools are known for, it would be a bad cultural fit. For the most part the states of Virginia and North Carolina are no longer Deep South and from what I heard from another Little League father whose son played tournament ball with ours and went on to get a baseball scholarship from GA Tech, although that school is also in a Deep South state, it's smack dab in downtown Atlanta which isn't at all country hick anymore.

23 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Campbell wasn't one of their premier coaches this year.  They were probably even more disappointing than Texas.

Only because of hype of what people were expecting, that is why I don't believe the hype, I look at what happens on the field. Same reason when people say on paper I want to slap them