Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

I’m curious what Aztec fans think but imho both teams are better with the rivalry.   Both teams want to beat the other and you have to be good to do so.  I also think it adds interest up and down the state as you have Fresno and SDSU alums across it.   

Fresno has been a rival going back to the old PCAA. I don't think that will ever change. The Old Oil Can is mockable, forced, made up bull crap but the rivalry isn't.

• Facepalm 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

money.

it doesn't make sense to pay an exit and entrance fee just for a nominal change in money or competition 

I think there were scenarios where the MWC COULD have poached some AAC schools. Like let’s say the Big 12 took Cincy, Memphis, and UCF; maybe Houston and SMU decide it’s in their best interests to move together to the MWC? Or if the Big 12 went to 14 and took the same schools they did IRL plus Memphis and one other AAC school not named SMU; maybe SMU feels the AAC would have been gutted enough that the MWC would be the better option. 

But none of that happened. The scenario that did play out left the AAC just strong/profitable enough that a move to the MWC just wasn’t worth it for SMU. 

8 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

If a P5 Conference does disband my money is on the Big 12. I could see Kansas and Kansas State going to the Big 10 and a few of the Texas Schools going to the Pac12.

K-State doesn't have the academics to even say the words "B1G-10 conf."

• Cheers 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:35 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

(1) The MWC and AAC cannot currently poach each other’s schools because it wouldn’t make financial sense for any of the schools. 

(2) I have no idea what would happen if Boise leaves. 

For one, the conf's academic profile would take off like a rocket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NewGuy12 said:

Maybe Western Kentucky? They don't wanna stay in the Conference USA. They have good football and basketball 

Nothing says Mtn West like a directional school from the Mid-South...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

the AAC without Cincy, UCF, and Houston is very meh'

having Navy football is cool, and having WSU for hoops is cool...but outside that it feels like CUSA 6.0 or something

I was fine with adding UAB and FAU but they should have stopped there...I'm not a fan of adding Charlotte, UTSA, North Texas.

UTSA is a solid addition.  Not awesome, but solid.

10 hours ago, NewGuy12 said:

Oh that's unfortunate. I mean in the end I think there will be a super conference and one of the power conferences will disband and the leftovers from that specific conference would have top drop down. I would bet Washington State or Oregon State.

The B1G wants UVA, UNC, Duke, and GA Tech.  They are prepared to wait out the GOR.  They have no interest in Kansas or Iowa St.  I have a really good source on this,  Kansas and Iowa St will never be in the big 10 unless some radical things happen.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

If you're saying you think SDSU would turn down admission to the B12 if the B12 didn't also offer Fresno State because the rivalry between the schools is that important to SDSU fans, you're really out of touch.

I'll add that Fresno has been disappointing in showing zero inclination to get out of the Moribund West. Indeed, rumor had it that when SDSU and Boise each had one foot out the door a decade ago and were encouraging the nBE to create a western division, the nBE approached you guys about similarly taking your football program east and placing your Olys in the Big West and your administration reacted by not just walking but sprinting away from the offer for fear of the wrath of big, bad Craig Thompson.

SDSU has put Fresno in the rearview mirror three times in the last 40+ years. They will do it again.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

8 hours ago, Fowl said:

The B1G wants UVA, UNC, Duke, and GA Tech.  They are prepared to wait out the GOR.  They have no interest in Kansas or Iowa St.  I have a really good source on this,  Kansas and Iowa St will never be in the big 10 unless some radical things happen.   

Interesting. I have it on pretty good authority that the B1G at least put out feelers to UVA and UNC in the last round of realignment, and UNC gave some very serious thought to accepting their offer. (I know there was a huge backlash from fans and donors about a potential move to the B1G. I think it might have happened if the fans and boosters had supported the idea.) I had heard that Delaney's wet dream was to grab UVA, UNC, Ga. Tech, and Florida. Florida is probably a pipe dream, but they might at least consider it given the B1G's academic reputation. And it would be a major coup to steal one of the SEC's marquee programs. I had also heard that the B1G didn't really want Duke but UNC was refusing to leave the ACC without Duke, so they were willing to invite Duke as well if that is what it took to get UNC to make the move. But who knows? One way or another, I agree that further B1G expansion is very unlikely until the ACC's GOR expires.

13 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I still think SDSU and Boise made a massive mistake coming back to the MW...Had they toughed it out they would be in the Big 12 already..

Cest la vie...

No, SUDS would not. The upper third of the AAC has been better than the MW since Divisional Play. The Evidence is simple, Four NY6 Bids to One. Better Revenue Bowl Games. 

I am dubious the 2015/2016 Aztecs would have won a "Western Division".

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Nah, I’m not that dumb.   But I do think you would be more successful if we both went then if you went alone 

For that to happen, CSU-Fresno will have to step up their Athletic Budget and Facility upgrades.

Also, Fresno will have to become a Large Metro.

Americans Mayor

12 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Two different questions.

(1) The MWC and AAC cannot currently poach each other’s schools because it wouldn’t make financial sense for any of the schools. 

(2) I have no idea what would happen if Boise leaves. 

The Mountain Least when Boise leaves:

Happy Kids Say The Darndest Things GIF by CBS

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Fowl said:

From a football perspective those moves are +++++ing stupid and does nothing for the B1G but I get there is. Slot more at play than just football.  

9 hours ago, Fowl said:

Is this the same source that told you the Aztecs would lose out to Nevada, UNLV and Boise?

Just trying to gauge the quality of your sources......:)

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

12 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

money.

it doesn't make sense to pay an exit and entrance fee just for a nominal change in money or competition 

The MW is two steps above whatever Conference they are in. Texas State would be UNLV in FB and an RPI anchor in BB.

Cbs No GIF by HULU

Americans Mayor

40 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

SDSU has put Fresno in the rearview mirror three times in the last 40+ years. They will do it again.

True and a number of those times you sucked.  SDSU was good when Fresno/SDSU were in the WAC as we tied for the WAC Championship.   

The MWC split and SDSU was on an Island and sucked.   Most of the times you have done well you haven’t been on a virtual Island.   This point isn’t surprising as many teams on an Island do poorly.   West Virginia hasn’t won squat.  Cinci joining will help them.  UCF will be hurt being alone in the SE.  

12 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

having Navy football is cool, and having WSU for hoops is cool...but outside that it feels like CUSA 6.0 or something

I was fine with adding UAB and FAU but they should have stopped there...I'm not a fan of adding Charlotte, UTSA, North Texas.

UTSA has a bright future.

How is the AAC Board rolling with the fact that Nine of the AAC current and future members have historical losing records ? And that four of them are in the Bottom 16 ?

If they were coming to the MW, I would puke.

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Fowl said:

What caused Kansas to the B1G to fall through ?

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Yea, those additions bloated the conference, and added programs that bring little more than a warm body in the event that more teams are lost. 

I would have simply added UAB, and UTSA, then stopped.

30 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

True and a number of those times you sucked.  SDSU was good when Fresno/SDSU were in the WAC as we tied for the WAC Championship.   

The MWC split and SDSU was on an Island and sucked.   Most of the times you have done well you haven’t been on a virtual Island.   This point isn’t surprising as many teams on an Island do poorly.   West Virginia hasn’t won squat.  Cinci joining will help them.  UCF will be hurt being alone in the SE.  

SDSU does perform better when it is in the same conference as Fresno.

1978-1991 Different Conferences - SDSU win percentage .466

1992 - 1998 Same Conference - SDSU win percentage .531

1999 - 2011 Different Conferences - SDSU win percentage .387

2012 - 2021 (games to date) Same Conference - SDSU win percentage .698