Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

18 minutes ago, robe said:

Southern Utah might want to go FBS as well. 

I read awhile back that the WAC plans to go FBS anyway. So it will happen for Southern Utah.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/nmsu/reports-wac-football-to-return-in-2022-rise-to-fbs-later-in-decade/

5 minutes ago, crixus said:

I read awhile back that the WAC plans to go FBS anyway. So it will happen for Southern Utah.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/nmsu/reports-wac-football-to-return-in-2022-rise-to-fbs-later-in-decade/

I thought that was the reasoning to join the WAC. USU can’t be happy. Utah has a great environment for football. I think they can recruit Nevada and California and do well. Utah has a ton of FBS talent as well. 

• Like 1

The Masters 5k road race All American.

37 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

With UT-RGV announcing they will add football, combined with the addition of Incarnate Word, now Seattle might start to wonder if they belong

Not really because they are along with the realignment and such. No matter what conference, other than WCC, they are going to be an island but once again, WAC is a mere stepping stone for them unless they want to drop to Division II again. 

10 minutes ago, robe said:

Looks like the WAC needs to add one more football school unless I counted wrong

Snow College! ;) JK

Just now, crixus said:

Snow College! ;) JK

I keep bringing up Montana and Idaho. Those 2 programs have been playing football as long as any school in the west besides California bears. 

29 minutes ago, robe said:

I keep bringing up Montana and Idaho. Those 2 programs have been playing football as long as any school in the west besides California bears. 

As mentioned earlier, UT Rio Grande Valley is adding WAC football in 2025. The students just recently voted on it.

https://www.valleycentral.com/sports/utrgv/what-we-know-so-far-about-utrgv-football/

3 hours ago, robe said:

I just saw Incarnate Word is joining for the 7th football playing member. They also sign a contract with ESPN for football games.

Yeah, we were talking about Incarnate Word earlier in this thread. San Antonio's a big market and a good catch for the WAC. I look forward to the 2022 season and will be rooting for Southern Utah myself.

1 hour ago, robe said:

I think the WCC is going to look at expansion. I’m surprised that we haven’t heard anything about Gonzaga to MWC except in message boards. 

I don't think they have any interest in expanding at the this point honestly, they have been a stable conference BYU leaving doesn't really affect them that much. And why would Gonzaga come to MWC? There is no incentive they call the shots in WCC if they left they wouldn't be able to do that anymore. The only reason they had talked to MWC before was to get a better deal from WCC which they did. There is no reason for them to leave.

6 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I don't think they have any interest in expanding at the this point honestly, they have been a stable conference BYU leaving doesn't really affect them that much. And why would Gonzaga come to MWC? There is no incentive they call the shots in WCC if they left they wouldn't be able to do that anymore. The only reason they had talked to MWC before was to get a better deal from WCC which they did. There is no reason for them to leave.

A majority of the message board fans want out of the WCC now with BYU leaving. But I agree the school is more rational. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 7:59 AM, Spaztecs said:

That

Will

Never 

Happen.

Do you really believe a North Dakota State could beat Alabama or Ohio State ?

:waiting:

Ask the 2007 Michigan team.

Seriously, I don't think even the best NDSU teams of the past decade would be competitive with Alabama or Ohio State barring a miracle. But in a 12-team playoff, I definitely think they could beat a 12-seeded team on the right day. Under the new playoff rules, the Big 12 champion would get an automatic playoff bid every year. And I believe NDSU beat Kansas State the year that they won the Big 12.

And I agree completely that it will never happen. I just think it would be a lot of fun if it did.

5 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

Ask the 2007 Michigan team.

Seriously, I don't think even the best NDSU teams of the past decade would be competitive with Alabama or Ohio State barring a miracle. But in a 12-team playoff, I definitely think they could beat a 12-seeded team on the right day. Under the new playoff rules, the Big 12 champion would get an automatic playoff bid every year. And I believe NDSU beat Kansas State the year that they won the Big 12.

And I agree completely that it will never happen. I just think it would be a lot of fun if it did.

they didn't win it that year, they were the defending champion, 

NDSU would fall back to normal if they went to FBS. Their entire shtick is based on being a big fish in a small pond.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

they didn't win it that year, they were the defending champion, 

NDSU would fall back to normal if they went to FBS. Their entire shtick is based on being a big fish in a small pond.

They are falling back down to normal now in FCS.  They had a special, special run but there was no way to sustain that.  

50 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

They are falling back down to normal now in FCS.  They had a special, special run but there was no way to sustain that.  

By all means though, run around to every message board as your team flails and try to convince the posters you belong in that league, and would dominate said league before you've ever played a game in it.

• Like 1

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Loyola Chicago is moving to the A10. 

Supposedly the MVC is looking to backfill with Murray State, UT Arlington, and/or Kansas City. Murray State seems to be the obvious choice.