Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Maybe NDSU should have followed the Liberty route and played as a FBS indy for a few years to show what they could do. That would have helped overcome any reservations a FBS conference might have about things like location.

The "we only want the MWC or Big 12" campaigning was a bad tactical move.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Really happy for the Raggies.  They might be a punching bag but watching that bowl win in 2017 was super cool.    They packed that stadium. 

Yes they did, unlike USU who is the worst traveling fan base in the conference minus SJSU. They should be a lot better than they are but they don’t travel far beyond the state of Utah. NMSU fans outnumbered the USU fans that game 10-1.

Attended the game at Allegiant a few weeks ago and their turnout was underwhelming, to say the least. Eastern Wash definitely brought more fans than they did.

44 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

Yes they did, unlike USU who is the worst traveling fan base in the conference minus SJSU. They should be a lot better than they are but they don’t travel far beyond the state of Utah. NMSU fans outnumbered the USU fans that game 10-1.

Attended the game at Allegiant a few weeks ago and their turnout was underwhelming, to say the least. Eastern Wash definitely brought more fans than they did.

Aside from the fact that this was NMSU's first bowl game in 56 years, Tucson is only a couple of hours from Las Cruces. So it's hardly surprising that NMSU sent more fans to that game. I don't think it is fair to extrapolate USU's fan support based on that one game.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Aside from the fact that this was NMSU's first bowl game in 56 years, Tucson is only a couple of hours from Las Cruces. So it's hardly surprising that NMSU sent more fans to that game. I don't think it is fair to extrapolate USU's fan support based on that one game.

It wasn’t just that they had more fans than you, but it was how little your fans traveled to a relatively short distance, or at least shorter than a lot of other bowl destinations from Logan. No, it’s two examples of an obvious trend over yearsAside from some Potato Bowl appearances, USU has never traveled well to any other bowl appearances or away games beyond Utah. Kept hearing for years how ‘great’ your fan base traveled to conference bball tourneys before coming into the league, and, to this point, they haven’t ever shown up with impressive or even decent numbers to the T&M, including the last few years your team was good and at the top of the conference standings.

There’s no debate to be had here, Stanford. USU has never traveled well and that’s a fact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, idkk said:

Are the Dakota and Montana schools missing the boat by not making more of an effort to move up?

The question is do they really care? Montana schools seem content to remain where they’re at. The Dakota schools are similar.. I think they like being the big fish in an ever decreasing pond, even with other schools passing them by the wayside.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

The question is do they really care? Montana schools seem content to remain where they’re at. The Dakota schools are similar.. I think they like being the big fish in an ever decreasing pond, even with other schools passing them by the wayside.

I don't think NDSU or Montana want to move up.  I think a few fans post a whole lot saying they do.  If they did,  CUSA was the time to prove it at the FBS level,  even if it's football only.  The window will close again for 2-4 years at least, depending on what the B12 decides to do.  There will probably be another chance in the WAC in 5+ years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

@HawaiiMongoose, time for us to add GCU.  There's nothing left for them in the WAC hoops wise, especially if Stephen F Austin is next out the door.

This would be a VERY smart move for the Big West. Keeps the UC/CSU balance, adds a big market, and they have solid sports. Good move for GCU also; gets them in a stronger and more stable conference with much easier travel. 

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

If there is a shift at the FBS level and the other top FCS teams make the jump (as they're doing now) to not be left out. What's left for those schools? The money isn't going to be there for a depleted FCS.

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

This would be a VERY smart move for the Big West. Keeps the UC/CSU balance, adds a big market, and they have solid sports. Good move for GCU also; gets them in a stronger and more stable conference with much easier travel. 

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

Awful long bus ride to Phoenix for a bus league..

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Awful long bus ride to Phoenix for a bus league..

Phoenix is closer to the SoCal members than Davis is.  Cheaper gas, too