Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

34 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Not a terrible option at least in regards to their facilities:

Buffalo Stadium: Seats up to 12,000 

Basketball: Seats 4700

Their basketball arena would definitely need work but their football stadium is already at a good level for FCS games and looks like it can easily be expanded if they want to jump on the FBS bandwagon. 

DW1A9742a.jpg

Buffalo_Stadium.jpg

Yes . There are options to expand to 20 - 25k if there is a need.

20 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

ASUN is stable conference in Oly sports they have a 12 team conference for college basketball with all the movement and so does WAC for Oly sports. Both are just starting up football again which is where they are on shaky ground and with Chicago St, WAC would be down to 11 for Oly

Southland and Ohio Valley are the two in real danger overall since OVC has lost several schools to other conferences and so has Southland

It's nothing short of amazing how much attention some of you guys not named JDGaucho (aka Mr. Big West) pay to the college football versions of baseball's low minor leagues.

I get that the MW is just a AAA league but fess up. You're so afraid of the MW dropping down to just AA quality with your school still stuck in it that you've decided to start a virtual bulletin board of possible alternate landing spots.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We may be about to find out how serious SMU is about upgrading their program in an effort to get the Big 12's attention.

Because Texas Tech is firing Matt Wells, and Sonny Dykes will be the 1st call.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

We may be about to find out how serious SMU is about upgrading their program in an effort to get the Big 12's attention.

If SMU was $1M away from TT, I would have to really contemplate that.  Lubbock... ugh.

3 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

If SMU was $1M away from TT, I would have to really contemplate that.  Lubbock... ugh.

Sonny knows all about Lubbock - his dad coached at Tech for 15 years, and the people in Lubbock loved him.  Sonny coached there as well for 6.  Be interesting to see what happens.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

27 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

It's nothing short of amazing how much attention some of you guys not named JDGaucho (aka Mr. Big West) pay to the college football versions of baseball's low minor leagues.

I get that the MW is just a AAA league but fess up. You're so afraid of the MW dropping down to just AA quality with your school still stuck in it that you've decided to start a virtual bulletin board of possible alternate landing spots.

We were talking about other conferences in other divisions also going through changes so have no clue on what you are trying to land at since it is all realignment. 

25 minutes ago, RSF said:

Did you hear that somewhere or are you just speculating? I ask because this is just Wells' third year of what IIRC is a 5-year deal and according to Coaches Hot Seat, he's earning a not insignificant $3.6M annually and TT's TV revenue is likely to go down significantly with the departure of UT and OU, is it not?

I was listening to an interview earlier this morning with the SMU AD talking about how happy they are in AAC, how they are big games coming up for their football team, how they are making strides on their basketball team and then started talking about how supportive the President of the university has been in the direction that the Athletic Department wants to go in the AAC and in the future where ever that might be.

Oh my my mistake it is Texas A&M Commerce that accepted an invitation to Southland conference

So how many different Texas A&M satellite schools are there?

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Did you hear that somewhere or are you just speculating? I ask because this is just Wells' third year of what IIRC is a 5-year deal and according to Coaches Hot Seat, he's earning a not insignificant $3.6M annually and TT's TV revenue is likely to go down significantly with the departure of UT and OU, is it not?

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/10/25/reports-texas-tech-head-coach-matt-wells-terminated/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

All over the news right now.  Fort Worth Star Telegram reported it 1st this morning.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

All over the news right now.  Fort Worth Star Telegram reported it 1st this morning.

Does a school in Lubbock actually have $7 million to just give to Wells for sitting on his butt over the next two years? Also wouldn't anybody thinking of replacing Wells expect to earn at least $4 million annually?

Could there be a bunch of working oil wells (no pun intended) on TT's property? (I ask because although it's little known, there were once working oil wells on the property of Beverly Hills HS as if that school didn't get enough revenue from donations from maybe not filthy rich but wealthy parents whose kids attended the school.)

30 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Does a school in Lubbock actually have $7 million to just give to Wells for sitting on his butt over the next two years? Also wouldn't anybody thinking of replacing Wells expect to earn at least $4 million annually?

yes on both counts.

Tech's athletics revenue is around 90 million.  Their endowment is 1.3 billion.  And their enrollment is 36k, so they'll have a few rich alums lying around.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 11:15 AM, wolfpack1 said:

ASUN is stable conference in Oly sports they have a 12 team conference for college basketball with all the movement and so does WAC for Oly sports. Both are just starting up football again which is where they are on shaky ground and with Chicago St, WAC would be down to 11 for Oly

Southland and Ohio Valley are the two in real danger overall since OVC has lost several schools to other conferences and so has Southland

The WAC is bringing in Southern Utah next season to replace Chicago State.  That will keep them at 13 members for Olympic sports and push them up to 7 members playing FCS football, unless any choose to jump to CUSA.

I can see NMSU wanting to put their football team in CUSA but they should try to keep Olympic sports in the WAC if at all possible.  The basketball will be better in the WAC and the travel will be much easier and cheaper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I was listening to an interview earlier this morning with the SMU AD talking about how happy they are in AAC, how they are big games coming up for their football team, how they are making strides on their basketball team and then started talking about how supportive the President of the university has been in the direction that the Athletic Department wants to go in the AAC and in the future where ever that might be.

Oh my my mistake it is Texas A&M Commerce that accepted an invitation to Southland conference

So how many different Texas A&M satellite schools are there?

Quite a few.  This is a little disparaging, but it's like Texas A&M and the seven dwarfs.  Beyond the College Station campus, the rest of the system universities are small.  Some of them have long, even venerable histories (Prairie View, Tarleton, Commerce, for instance), but they are small.  I am glad Tarleton hung on to its historic name. 

Just now, Lobo Amor said:

C-USA in talks with Tarleton St, Sam Houston St, & NMSU about joining the conference. They want to replace their losses out west and in Texas. 

SHSU makes sense but I'm not so sure about Tarleton State, they in particular are a very unpopular option on the CUSA board. Missouri State, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State and Chattanooga are being mentioned alot on there however.