Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

32 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Better question: Why any of the three?

Why not?  Things are past the point of G5 being able to compete with P6.  Might as well go with peer institutions.  Do you fundamentally like the purity of football as a game or do you like constantly chasing a participation trophy against some strange from inland florida?

1 hour ago, Billings said:

UTEP was also a loyal WAC conference member for a very long time.  The MWC left them out not the other way around.  That is why UTEP.  They were a WAC member in the 80's and before for years until the MWC split.  Nobody, of the original MWC, were in a conference with Idaho or nmsu

Hindsight is 20/20 but had UTEP stayed in the WAC 10 instead of moving to CUSA they might be in the the MW now..

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

R.I.P. C-USA.

One could argue that at one point C-USA was the second best G5 behind the MWC. When C-USA disbands the AAC should just take up the name being that all it's schools are there. 

I wouldn't say RIP yet but if they stay together they will be the lowest G5 around

2 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

The MWC was on the verge of P6 status until we lost Utah, TCU and BYU. The AAC just lost it's top 3 schools as well. So in two years barring no more realignment we'll see if they can recover like we did. 

Did we recover? Not even the mighty Boise has replicated what they did. And certainly no one else in the conference has stepped up on an even semi-consistent basis.

Actually, I would say that the Big East/American recovered quite nicely after replacing Miami and Va Tech with Cincinnati and Louisville in 2005.

Then, they completely killed it in 2013, after losing West Virginia and Louisville, as 3 of the 4 teams that they added (Central Florida, Houston and Memphis) have 4 access bowl bids between them.

So sure, lets wait and see if they can recover for the 3rd time in a decade and a half while we all continue to cross our fingers in hopes that Boise can recapture their pre-MWC glory that we all try to prop ourselves up with.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

But if CUSA dies there is long range reprecautions. You have media deals, bowl deals and all which now will change as well, Will the media that gave CUSA money now put that toward other conferences or will they just sit on it? 

And also this doesn't take into consideration stuff we haven't seen yet because everything still getting figured out, as we have Ohio Valley who is in potential danger of going under as well.

20 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

But if CUSA dies there is long range reprecautions. You have media deals, bowl deals and all which now will change as well, Will the media that gave CUSA money now put that toward other conferences or will they just sit on it? 

And also this doesn't take into consideration stuff we haven't seen yet because everything still getting figured out, as we have Ohio Valley who is in potential danger of going under as well.

Not really. CUSA was/is such a minor player.  They barely made any money off their TV deals.  Maybe CBSSN gives the MW more money but probably not.  ESPN+ still has plenty of content since they engineered the AACs move. 

Bowls?  Eh, most of the schools will still make the bowls just in another conference.  Or 6-6 or 5-7 P5 schools will take their spot.  The bowls will get filled. 

Would be nice if the New Mexico and Hawaii bowls can find better opponents now 

23 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I’m sure the networks will just sit in the money and it’ll end up being a net loss for the G5. Unfortunately. 

59 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but had UTEP stayed in the WAC 10 instead of moving to CUSA they might be in the the MW now..

When you say WAC 10 I think of:

SDSU

Fresno

BYU

Utah

Wyo

CSU

Air Force

UTEP

UNLV

New Mexico

This groups never should have gone to 16.   Should have gone to 12

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I just don't see schools were just moved to a conference will switch to another that quick especially when they aren't really ready for that move up yet. They don't want to become a Louisiana Tech and burn bridges because people talk

TCU switched to CUSA and then to the MWC with a fairly quick turnaround.  Very different circumstances though.

2 hours ago, Billings said:

UTEP was also a loyal WAC conference member for a very long time.  The MWC left them out not the other way around.  That is why UTEP.  They were a WAC member in the 80's and before for years until the MWC split.  Nobody, of the original MWC, were in a conference with Idaho or nmsu

I feel bad for UTEP. The Miners were a core member of a very fun WAC group. They have FBS level facilities and a decent fan base, but they’re in a tough location. 

• Like 3

EWKc3H8K_normal.jpg

will invite James Madison, Marshall, Southern Miss and Old Dominion as soon as next week CBS Sports has learned. Other outlets have reported next week. Differing timelines at this point. Not sure who reported first but and were on it.

1 hour ago, Billings said:

When you say WAC 10 I think of:

SDSU

Fresno

BYU

Utah

Wyo

CSU

Air Force

UTEP

UNLV

New Mexico