Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Also per Dodd, Sun Belt has eyes set on Southern Mississippi, Marshall, James Madison and Old Dominion

So what was predicted on the FCS boards, great move for the Sunbelt if true as it gives them the Virginia Commonwealth area and relatively regional Divisions:

EAST

JMU, App State, Costal Carolina, ODU, Marshall, Georgia Southern, GSU

(States: VA, WVA, NC, SC, GA)

WEST

Troy, USA, Texas State, Arkansas State, ULL, ULM, USM

(States: AL, AR, LA, TX, MS)

Still wish The MWC hadn't sat back and done nothing personally. However this does hopefully open the door for Montana and Montana State in the future.

6 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Conference USA are currently in talks with Liberty and James Madison about joining CUSA which believes if they bring those two schools in, Marshall and ODU will remain with only Southern Mississippi leaving per Dodd at CBS Sports

Sunbelt would have to add one more school to keep balanced divisions. At that point I could see them adding WKU, MTSU, Liberty or even UTEP if they want to add another Texas school. Don't see them adding a 3rd Louisiana School.

12 minutes ago, idkk said:

I honestly don't think UTEP would be a terrible add they finally seem to have a coach getting them on the right track, have good facilities and maybe secure the Sun Bowl for the MWC. NMSU would help basketball and maybe even entice Gonzaga to join but I'd rather try to get Texas State. If we went after Texas State Sun Belt could then add LT or NMSU, however with the TV deal announcement it's all a pipe dream.

MOUNTAIN:

Utep, NMSU/TX State, UNM, AF, CSU, USU, WYO

WEST:

BSU, UNR, UNLV, FSU, SDSU, SJSU, Hawaii

*Add Gonzaga for Basketball

• Downvote 3

47 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Sunbelt would have to add one more school to keep balanced divisions. At that point I could see them adding WKU, MTSU, Liberty or even UTEP if they want to add another Texas school. Don't see them adding a 3rd Louisiana School.

I know which thought was odd when he put that in the article making it that Southern Miss was going to leave no matter what

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

Louisiana Tech was an independent in football many moons ago, I don't know UTEP survives independent status and FIU I don't see them stepping down in football.

Really the only hope for UTEP is if the MWC adds them, which for some reason seems out of the question. What did the Miners do to be so despised by the MWC leadership?

27 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

I honestly don't think UTEP would be a terrible add they finally seem to have a coach getting them on the right track, have good facilities and maybe secure the Sun Bowl for the MWC. NMSU would help basketball and maybe even entice Gonzaga to join but I'd rather try to get Texas State. If we went after Texas State Sun Belt could then add LT or NMSU, however with the TV deal announcement it's all a pipe dream.

MOUNTAIN:

Utep, NMSU/TX State, UNM, AF, CSU, USU, WYO

WEST:

BSU, UNR, UNLV, FSU, SDSU, SJSU, Hawaii

*Add Gonzaga for Basketball

I mean if doomsday comes the only school left that would be worth looking at is possibly Louisiana Tech, but they are to far away. Really, MWC could sit back a little smug I think

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

I mean if doomsday comes the only school left that would be worth looking at is possibly Louisiana Tech, but they are to far away. Really, MWC could sit back a little smug I think

Seems to be the name of the game since the TV deal announcement. I'm okay with it as down the road it may open the door for Montana and MSU

6 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I wonder if Southern Miss would just end up staying also? If they were to still leave for the SBC we would end up with an 11 school SBC and 9 school CUSA, which would be weird. 

I think if CUSA was able to keep Marshall, grab J Madison and maybe Liberty I think they could stay. 

5 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Really the only hope for UTEP is if the MWC adds them, which for some reason seems out of the question. What did the Miners do to be so despised by the MWC leadership?

Maybe has something to do with what their leadership have said in the past? Sometimes if you burn bridges that lasts a while. MWC then again could you know offer them a deal they would have to take?

5 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Seems to be the name of the game since the TV deal announcement. I'm okay with it as down the road it may open the door for Montana and MSU

They are both happy where they are I think even the president of Montana or Montana St said if you are the big fish in a little pond that is better than a small fish in a big pond and they would both have to increase their athletic budgets by a bunch. I think everyone looks at what happened with Idaho and that tends to put some brakes on schools

3 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

They are both happy where they are I think even the president of Montana or Montana St said if you are the big fish in a little pond that is better than a small fish in a big pond and they would both have to increase their athletic budgets by a bunch. I think everyone looks at what happened with Idaho and that tends to put some brakes on schools

Oh you're not wrong there. Currently especially at Montana there is some enrollment issues and the state couldn't support 2 FBS schools especially since one won't move up without the other. If I remember correctly when the WAC came calling that was the big deal breaker that they only wanted Montana and not Montana State.

I know we're going to be in the FCS for the next little bit which is fine I just would like to see us eventually move up. The state is having a massive population influx so hopefully that will translate into having the capability to move up in the next round of expansion / realignment.

2 hours ago, Ram1554 said:

Marshall, USM, and possibly ODU to the Belt. 

Take it with a grain of salt, but the MAC might extend an olive branch to WKU and MTSU:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JReecerBGDN/status/1450911710056001539?s=20

Therefore, UTEP, FIU, and LaTech could be homeless by next week. 

Wow

6 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Oh you're not wrong there. Currently especially at Montana there is some enrollment issues and the state couldn't support 2 FBS schools especially since one won't move up without the other. If I remember correctly when the WAC came calling that was the big deal breaker that they only wanted Montana and not Montana State.

I know we're going to be in the FCS for the next little bit which is fine I just would like to see us eventually move up. The state is having a massive population influx so hopefully that will translate into having the capability to move up in the next round of expansion / realignment.

Personally I think they are in a good spot right now and honestly I don't know if they would survive moving up to FBS honestly, we don't want another Idaho. They could also stick back now and watch Sam Houston and such who all want to move up and see what happens on that end. 

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Personally I think they are in a good spot right now and honestly I don't know if they would survive moving up to FBS honestly, we don't want another Idaho. They could also stick back now and watch Sam Houston and such who all want to move up and see what happens on that end. 

You do risk missing the last life boat. If Cusa goes away there wont be many openings in the g4.  Add in if fcs schools lose A5 money games over half the fcs teams are in deep dodo

So I've been browsing the AAC, Sun Belt and C-USA forums and from what I've gathered:

-The Sun Belt has formally reach out to Southern Mississippi. Most are saying it's a done deal and they're headed to the Sun Belt.

-Marshall is waiting to see what develops. They're waiting apparently on if the C-USA will invite JMU and Liberty. If those 2 are invited along with ODU they will become the "Power Block" of the Conference which might convince them to stay. As mentioned before the Sun Belt is also rumored to be looking to add JMU, ODU along with Marshall and USM. Seems to be a race and also may hinge on what Marshall and to a smaller extent JMU wants to do.

-If Marshall stays in C-USA the Sun Belt will try to add 1 more team from WKU, MTSU, LT (Should be noted there is alot of bad blood about these 3 teams) Liberty (apparently some beef between Liberty and C-USA) and JMU. All have been mentioned.

-NMSU has been mentioned as a replacement if the C-USA loses only one more team along with USM. 

-The MAC is only rumored to be talking to MTSU and WKU. Chances are those schools would only move there if and when C-USA implodes.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/sun-belt-reportedly-expected-to-add-2-conference-usa-teams/

Update looks like Marshall is headed towards the Sun Belt along with Southern Mississippi. Alot of chatter is suggesting the Sunbelt is going to stop at 12 Teams.

This is bad for C-USA but could have been a lot worse if they had pulled ODU as well. If they stop at 12 teams like the information suggests gives C-USA 6 teams to work with. Seems like they won't have a choice but have to add NMSU, Liberty and might even add UMass and UConn which though a terrible conference would still give them 10 teams. Best Division format they could do:

EAST:

UConn, UMass, Liberty, FIU, ODU 

STATES: (CT, MA, VA, FL)

WEST:

NMSU, UTEP, LT,  MTSU, WKU

STATES: (NM, LA, TN, KY)

If they're really desperate they may be willing to accept some FCS move ups like JMU

Screenshot_20211021-070829_Chrome.jpg