Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Just now, nvspuds said:

Fox and CBS are reportedly not willing to pay more to the MW for expansion..If and when schools leave expansion may be discussed..It is possible the league will just get smaller..The Dakotas and the Montanas  just aren't in the picture at the moment..

Oh I'm well aware it's a no go presently, probably going to have to wait until BSU and SDSU if not more move to the Big 12

5 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't think SMU plays a single minute in the same conference with UNT.  B12 dreams aside, the MWC is a far better landing spot than the AAC with all of those schools.

SMU and Rice may be what's for dinner in the MWC.

The MWC announced today that they won't be expanding in football.  Sounds like outside of basketball expansion is dead.

• Sad 1

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

1 minute ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

SMU's athletic director was on the AAC's expansion committee that decided all this. Apparently they're fine with UNT.

maybe he has an exit strategy. Maybe it's the B12 as senseless as it seems. I don't how these adds appeal to any team in that conference with higher aspirations.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

9 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

I do hope you understand the vast situational and geographic differences between Fargo and Honolulu.

I do, weather and other factors come into play in that regard. I just don't think the overall distance really should be taken into account as if we're going to argue that then Hawaii has them beat. And really the only schools I could be having a problem with it are the California schools which is then the Gated somewhat as they wouldn't have to travel to the Dakotas every single year

22 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

In terms of markets I could understand that, however a Conference with the Dakota State schools, Montana schools and Wyoming would be awesome IMO.

Well that depends on your viewpoint.  Doubt very few MWC s schools would agree

• Like 1

1 minute ago, utgrizfan said:

I do, weather and other factors come into play in that regard. I just don't think the overall distance really should be taken into account as if we're going to argue that then Hawaii has them beat. And really the only schools I could be having a problem with it are the California schools which is then the Gated somewhat as they wouldn't have to travel to the Dakotas every single year

Hawaii pays travel subsides..They house their non revenue sports in another conference..

Would NDSU be willing to do the same ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Hawaii ís football only for a reason

13 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Fox and CBS are reportedly not willing to pay more to the MW for expansion..If and when schools leave expansion may be discussed..It is possible the league will just get smaller..The Dakotas and the Montanas  just aren't in the picture at the moment..

I suspect there are some MWC members who are also not in favor of expansion at this time

2 minutes ago, Billings said:

I suspect there are some MWC members who are also not in favor of expansion at this time

And I can totally get not wanting to expand, really the only chance for any expansion to occur is if any mwc schools are poached for the Big 12 or if any other crazy realignment happens. In regard to travel subsidies I have no idea if NDS you would be willing to pay

8 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

Whoever started that Marshall, JMU etc… to SBC rumor not too long ago may be on to something now 

I posted that a little while ago since it was all over the FCS forums. Due to the lack of response and confirmation on the matter from Sunbelt officials it's left me some doubt in its accuracy. Still I do think it would be a very smart move on the Sunbelts part to go forward with that expansion plan of Old Dominion, Marshall, JMU and So. Mississippi 

So the question becomes 'How is PT Aresco going to spin this?'

"Rice consistently has one of the best football halftime shows in the country"

"Florida Atlantic is a LOT closer to the beach than UCF"

"San Antonio is the birthplace of the puffy taco"

"North Texas is powered by cutting edge wind turbines"

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

35 minutes ago, Billings said:

Well that depends on your viewpoint.  Doubt very few MWC s schools would agree

I think those places are great. They just aren’t easy to fly to or recruit from. Logan is the second smallest “metro” in the MWC but it’s attached to SLC. Then Reno is the 3rd smallest and it’s about 6-650k if you include small towns around Washoe County. And it’s hard for USU and Nevada — from a budget perspective to compete. I do not get how programs from considerably smaller markets can make ends meet, especially when they start losing. And all games are at night which in Montana would be awesome.. said no one ever. 

14 minutes ago, RSF said:

"Everything is bigger and better in Texas. Ask Houston."  (Aresco)

26 minutes ago, RSF said:

He doesn't have to spin it, the east-coast-biased media will spin it for him. It's already started. Yahoo Sports is already spinning the narrative that this is all part of the AAC's "large metro school strategy" that "elevated" Cincy, Houston and UCF, and it will totally work for these new schools as well. They'll do a non-stop promotional blitz to put these new additions on the map and draw lots of attention and recruits there, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Meanwhile, the MWC will still be out of sight, out of mind on FOX and CBS (who have already refused to give us more money to expand) with barely any national media coverage.

It sucks, but it's the harsh truth. Hair needed to be fired a decade ago.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

0mK6pGK.png

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I think those places are great. They just aren’t easy to fly to or recruit from. Logan is the second smallest “metro” in the MWC but it’s attached to SLC. Then Reno is the 3rd smallest and it’s about 6-650k if you include small towns around Washoe County. And it’s hard for USU and Nevada — from a budget perspective to compete. I do not get how programs from considerably smaller markets can make ends meet, especially when they start losing. And all games are at night which in Montana would be awesome.. said no one ever. 

One of the Montana Schools might make a go with the whole state behind them but two is simply not an option support wise.  Wyoming only survives at FBS as there are no other four year universities in the state screaming at the legislature for support.

• Like 3