Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

I think if the MWC offered 2 schools (UNT, UTSA) they'd have a real good shot at snagging them out from under the AAC. 

Again don't see the issue adding them as both bring upside, UTSA brings eyeballs potentially and BSU, AF and CSU get what they want. BSU move to the Western Division and the Colorado schools get some central exposure.

Just now, tenbobnote said:

In other words: let's deflect because I don't have a good answer. 

Like I said though, It'll be good for the MW in the long run

The AAC just passed over some better brands to get Texas in attempts to screw the MWC in a land grab. That's what just happened. 

If NDSU is the answer, the question is 'who has a widely overinflated sense of themselves?'

IOW...not really.  Standing pat has always been the MWC's best move.  And the AAC helped out.  Thats what just happened.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Professorbum said:

There are plenty on this board that promoted adding UTSA, UNT, and/or Rice.  Markets were usually the chief reason cited.  The folly of chasing TV markets isn't the exclusive province of Aresco.   

True. But only have to look at San Jose to realize market size doesn’t really matter.

2 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Marching to the MAC to replace whoever goes to C-USA or what?

The AAC's move is not good for the AAC (so it is inexplicable) and it is also not good for NDSU.  I agree...the MWC (where I wish we'd land) has little incentive to add right now.  NDSU needs to go to CUSA with hat in hand and making the case that we can help strengthen the conference in both football and basketball.  We'd be an instant rival with JMU if they are brought into the fold as well.  I think there's a case to be made.  I hope we are doing so (but I doubt it).  

I don't care what Jim says.  That is not the real Ben Franklin.  I'm 99% certain.

Just now, Professorbum said:

The AAC's move is not good for the AAC (so it is inexplicable) and it is also not good for NDSU.  I agree...the MWC (where I wish we'd land) has little incentive to add right now.  NDSU needs to go to CUSA with hat in hand and making the case that we can help strengthen the conference in both football and basketball.  We'd be an instant rival with JMU if they are brought into the fold as well.  I think there's a case to be made.  I hope we are doing so (but I doubt it).  

NDSU should be content with being the Alabama of the FCS. And I don't mean that as an insult, I just really don't see FBS football working in Fargo.

0mK6pGK.png

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

If NDSU is the answer, the question is 'who has a widely overinflated sense of themselves?'

IOW...not really.  Standing pat has always been the MWC's best move.  And the AAC helped out.  Thats what just happened.

18 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

There's pressure to have them expand. It's defensive. They're likely going to have teams leave in the next couple years. Craig Thomson and at least the CSU AD have publicly said as much in the last week or so. 
They just thought they had more time.

https://www.ktik.com/2021/10/15/craig-thompson-mountain-west-commissioner-on-expansion-cfp-and-gonzaga-basketball/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/athletic-director-joe-parker-joins-to-talk-about-the/id1509883324?i=1000537540349

By far the most successful version of the MW had 9 schools.  The league started with 8 and did very well.

If and when schools leave it is far more likely the conference will go back to a smaller footprint than reach out to far flung schools to add just for the sake of adding..

• Like 1

There’s no reason for the MWC to expand. No to UTEP and/or NMSU.  If we can get Gonzaga for basketball let’s do that and call it good. 

• Like 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

True. But only have to look at San Jose to realize market size doesn’t really matter.

There's 3 FBS schools in our market/region. Two (including ourselves) in the same county/MSA.

There's also 3 top-level pro sports teams in the county (1 NFL, 1 NHL, 1 MLS) and another 3 in the region (2 MLB, 1 NBA). 6 total in the Bay Area.

Very different situation to most programs. It's tough to gain mindshare with the general public when there are that many options.

5 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

NDSU should be content with being the Alabama of the FCS. And I don't mean that as an insult, I just really don't see FBS football working in Fargo.

No insult taken.  But no...we don't wan't to be FCS's Alabama anymore.   We need to find an FBS home.   It'll work out fine once we land somewhere.  I mean, you guys make Hawaii work.   It is also a heck of a lot easier to get to Fargo than Laramie, unless you're busing from CSU or something.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't care what Jim says.  That is not the real Ben Franklin.  I'm 99% certain.

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

So what happens to the rest of CUSA?  Back to FCS?  Beg the Sun Belt for a life line?  Try to make it as an independent?  

8 schools left.  They'll survive.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, Professorbum said:

No insult taken.  But no...we don't wan't to be FCS's Alabama anymore.   We need to find an FBS home.   It'll work out fine once we land somewhere.  I mean, you guys make Hawaii work.   It is also a heck of a lot easier to get to Fargo than Laramie, unless you're busing from CSU or something.    

If Texas is out I'd love to see both Dakota States and Montanas make the jump to the MWC. It's a complete Longshot and fantasy right now however.

• Like 1