Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

What?? Those six adds absolutely scream, "P6."

I'm not sure if Aresco is a genius or a wizard.

You mean 'P7'...

• Cheers 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

So plan A for the AAC was the Remaining 8. They were laughed at, and ESPN embarrassed for trying to orchestrate it.  And it backfired spectacularly.

Plan B was raid the MWC - Boise, SDSU, Air Force and Colorado State. Response was lukewarm and rejected.

So Plan C is...gut CUSA. North Texas, Rice, UTSA, UAB, Florida Atlantic and Charlotte. Reeks of desperation.  Which is what it is.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

37 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

But they got the Dallas-Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Houston metro areas covered!  LOL.

There are plenty on this board that promoted adding UTSA, UNT, and/or Rice.  Markets were usually the chief reason cited.  The folly of chasing TV markets isn't the exclusive province of Aresco.   

• Cheers 1

I don't care what Jim says.  That is not the real Ben Franklin.  I'm 99% certain.

MWC talking about going to TX caused AAC to overreact. No reason to add North Texas with SMU already there. 

The AAC board is in full meltdown. It is great.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

I think Thamel got the report wrong. I think AAC wont be taking all 6. These are just the finalist.

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

Just now, Dirtball said:

I think Thamel got the report wrong. I think AAC wont be taking all 6. These are just the finalist.

With that group, choosing between them could be accomplished with 'Eenie, Meenie, Minee, Mo'...

• Like 2

Aresco must hate college basketball.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RSF said:

The Texas schools split when the SWC cratered.  Houston went to CUSA.  And when the WAC split TCU left Rice and SMU.  There really isnt much of a group mentality.  And the G5 schools today are split as well.  Its every school for themselves.

How many did we invite form Texas for the WAC?  A whole group

Just now, Billings said:

How many did we invite form Texas for the WAC?  A whole group

3.  Out of 4.  But they werent 'sticking together'.  All 3 were grabbing for a life preserver.  And all 3 dropped the others at the 1st opportunity.

2 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

I think SMU might balk at paying the huge exit fee just to go to another G5.

And I dont think they'll be all that unhappy.  Money wouldnt be that different, and the path to the post season on both football and basketball is getting easier.

Having said that...they'll probably be moving in a week...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Nothing has changed..The MW still has 12 football schools...You are in a bit of a spot..the AAC doesn't want you..CUSA will be looking for schools though.

There's pressure to have them expand. It's defensive. They're likely going to have teams leave in the next couple years. Craig Thomson and at least the CSU AD have publicly said as much in the last week or so. 
They just thought they had more time.

https://www.ktik.com/2021/10/15/craig-thompson-mountain-west-commissioner-on-expansion-cfp-and-gonzaga-basketball/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/athletic-director-joe-parker-joins-to-talk-about-the/id1509883324?i=1000537540349

8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Nothing has changed..The MW still has 12 football schools...You are in a bit of a spot..the AAC doesn't want you..CUSA will be looking for schools though.

AAC not wanting them is kinda surprising.  With them focusing on sizable metro areas, how could they pass on the 193rd metro area in the country?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RSF said:

AAC not wanting them is kinda surprising.  With them focusing on sizable metro areas, how could they pass on the 193rd metro area in the country?

In other words: let's deflect because I don't have a good answer. 

Like I said though, It'll be good for the MW in the long run

The AAC just passed over some better brands to get Texas in attempts to screw the MWC in a land grab. That's what just happened. 

• Like 1