Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

11 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Id like to see more commitment to their sports.  It just doesn't seem to be there.  

I googled to find out what they spend on athletics since it wasn't on the USA Today list and not sure how accurate this website is but apparently it's more than UTSA and on par with UNT:

Rice: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/rice-university/student-life/sports/ $41.9 M

UNT: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-north-texas/student-life/sports/ $40.8 M

UTSA: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/the-university-of-texas-at-san-antonio/student-life/sports/  $31.2 M

UTSA would be at the very bottom of the MWC (same with UTEP). UNT and Rice would be between Wyoming and Utah St.

1 minute ago, aztecsrule72001 said:

I googled to find out what they spend on athletics since it wasn't on the USA Today list and not sure how accurate this website is but apparently it's more than UTSA and on par with UNT:

Rice: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/rice-university/student-life/sports/ $41.9 M

UNT: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-north-texas/student-life/sports/ $40.8 M

UTSA: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/the-university-of-texas-at-san-antonio/student-life/sports/  $31.2 M

UTSA would be at the very bottom of the MWC (same with UTEP). UNT and Rice would be between Wyoming and Utah St.

They are getting a terrible return on their sports besides baseball

3 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Maybe the WAC will have moved up by the next realignment, though ideally it's the Big Sky teams who are interesting.

A most of those WAC schools are a long ways from being IA-ready.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Out of curiosity, why does AF need to move conferences. It’s a national draw whatever conference they are in but have limited upside for obvious reasons. They aren’t going to be any more competitive in the non revenue sports and frankly, they don’t need the TV  money. They can schedule the service academies already. What am I missing?

They don't have to move.  They just want to have the broadest exposure for recruitment.  This year and next year Army & Air Force are playing in Arlington, TX.  It's actually a pretty cool set up where they will play the first football game to ever be played on the Globe Life baseball stadium.  It's going to be on National TV CBS.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

LA is a pipeline state. Invite RAgin Cajuns and Rice or SMU which ever says yes.

Maybe you even go big and invite Ragin Cajuns, Tulane and Rice and SMU both. 

Solid Central timezone presence and some good tv markets.

West

Boise, SDSU, UNLV, SJSU, Fresno, UNR, USU, Hawaii

Mountain

Wyo, AFA, CSU, UNM, Cajuns, Tulane, Rice, SMU

• Facepalm 4

6 minutes ago, spc_ops said:

LA is a pipeline state. Invite RAgin Cajuns and Rice or SMU which ever says yes.

Maybe you even go big and invite Ragin Cajuns, Tulane and Rice and SMU both. 

Back during the great realignment before Boise and SDSU came back there was a guy in the University of Louisiana athletic department who swore up and down that MWC was doing due talking to the Cajuns and Arkansas State. No one at AState would ever confirm or deny, but never seemed like anything the administration would go for.

I would surprised if Louisiana would go unless it four regional teams.

Rice doesn't seem that interested in their sports though. The baseball team was national Top 10 program and then the floor fell through. Their football team in 41 years has had 10 winning seasons I just don't see why they are on the list. Its not about taking a chance on them, its their sports programs just haven't been there. 

Now if MWC went to their TV partners and said these are the schools that we are thinking of adding, and the partners came back and said we will give you more money for that, I could say OK, if they don't add anything than we are just adding more mouths to feed and perhaps could end up losing money. 

I just don't see any reason to expand at this point, sorry I don't

Rice would be a terrible add IMO, all Academics and would just be another terrible team. Louisiana is I feel to far to look geographically, didn't work out to well with LA-Tech.

Based on the article that the MWC is talking to teams hopefully we will hear something sooner rather then later. I think UNT and UTSA would be great adds as long as the TV deal improves with them as both have the most upside. UTSA really just needs to update their basketball court.

13 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

CUSA and the SBC need to work out a merger/geographic fit between the two of them, AAC doesn't seem to be interested which is dumb.  I'm all for giving the Zags the Boise treatment to get them to join the MWC.  

Mark Few is 58..How much longer will he go..To be sure, Gonzaga could hire a great coach when he leaves and keep rolling along.  But what do you have if Gonzaga stops being big time?  A small private school in Spokane. Does the MW give them extra money and keep their fingers crossed that they will never fall off..

• Like 4

Just now, nvspuds said:

Mark Few is 58..How much longer will he go..To be sure, Gonzaga could hire a great coach when he leaves and keep rolling along.  But what do you have if Gonzaga stops being big time?  A small private school in Spokane. Does the MW give them extra money and keep their fingers crossed that they will never fall off..

Gonzaga is a juggernaut, not just some flash in the pan, they are consistently good.  You can fly into Spokane from pretty much every major city, sure you might have a layover in SLC, but you get to enjoy the views of the mountains from your steel and glass confines.  ;-) 

3 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

Gonzaga is a juggernaut, not just some flash in the pan, they are consistently good.  You can fly into Spokane from pretty much every major city, sure you might have a layover in SLC, but you get to enjoy the views of the mountains from your steel and glass confines.  ;-) 

I like Spokane..My mom was born there..I was just pointing out that Gonzaga being good is the money driver. If Gonzaga isn't good, Spokane doesn't have a population that is very large..

Fb and BB wise, cause that's what matters. Mostly Football. Eyeballs don't tune in or buy streaming services to see great facilities or Academics. They tune in to see a good ball game. Not a bottom feeder matched up against a heavyweight.

Rice is a middlin' in arguably the weakest FBS Conference. (C-USA)

Texas State been horrid since moving up to arguably the worst FBS Conference. (Sun Belt)

UTSA has been above average in C-USA FB but nothing to make you take notice. 

North Texas has three winning seasons since joining C-USA in 2013. 

SMU seems happy in the AAC. Even if they wanted to join the MW, are the current membership willing to pony their hefty exit fees ? Are there enough eyeballs in the Western US who would bother to watch an SMU game ?

Basically, none of these choices makes the MW better. It weakens the other Conferences. Expansion would be a Defensive move. Kind of like Castling in Chess 

• Like 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

35 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

Without Few as their coach they have been a pretty average program.  There is no guarantee that they continue it post Few.  There are challenges at Gonzaga that Few is able to navigate.  Not every coach will be able to do that.  

Some food-for-thought attendance numbers:

• North Texas (1-4 coming in) vs. Marshall (3-3) in Denton - 13,123
  • Texas State (2-3) vs. Troy (3-3) in San Marcos - 15,083
  • UTEP (5-1) vs. Louisiana Tech (2-3) in El Paso - 18,468
  • UTSA (6-0) vs. Rice (2-3) in San Antonio - 27,515

North Texas and Texas State lost to drop to 1-5 and 2-4 respectively.  UTEP and UTSA won to improve to 6-1 and 7-0 respectively.

SMU had a bye yesterday and was on the road last week.  Two weeks ago it took a 4-0 record into a home game against 1-3 USF and drew 23,355 fans.

Rice had a bye last week.  Two weeks ago it took a 1-3 record into a home game against 1-3 USM and drew 16,031.

Here are yesterday’s MWC game home attendance numbers for comparison:

• New Mexico (vs. Colorado State) - 15,403
  • San Jose State (vs. San Diego State) - 17,177
  • Wyoming (vs. Fresno State) - 20,002
  • UNLV (vs. Utah State) - 21,322
  • Nevada (vs. Hawaii) - 22,098
  • Boise State (vs. Air Force) - 34,446

1 hour ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Some food-for-thought attendance numbers:

• North Texas (1-4 coming in) vs. Marshall (3-3) in Denton - 13,123
  • Texas State (2-3) vs. Troy (3-3) in San Marcos - 15,083
  • UTEP (5-1) vs. Louisiana Tech (2-3) in El Paso - 18,468
  • UTSA (6-0) vs. Rice (2-3) in San Antonio - 27,515

North Texas and Texas State lost to drop to 1-5 and 2-4 respectively.  UTEP and UTSA won to improve to 6-1 and 7-0 respectively.

SMU had a bye yesterday and was on the road last week.  Two weeks ago it took a 4-0 record into a home game against 1-3 USF and drew 23,355 fans.

Rice had a bye last week.  Two weeks ago it took a 1-3 record into a home game against 1-3 USM and drew 16,031.

Here are yesterday’s MWC game home attendance numbers for comparison:

• New Mexico (vs. Colorado State) - 15,403
  • San Jose State (vs. San Diego State) - 17,177
  • Wyoming (vs. Fresno State) - 20,002
  • UNLV (vs. Utah State) - 21,322
  • Nevada (vs. Hawaii) - 22,098
  • Boise State (vs. Air Force) - 34,446

Problem with looking at this year's attendance numbers is that we're still in a pandemic, loads of people are still staying away from large crowds, especially older folks.  Until the pandemic ends, we'll continue to see lackluster attendance numbers across the board for the G5's. 

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

Without Few as their coach they have been a pretty average program.  There is no guarantee that they continue it post Few.  There are challenges at Gonzaga that Few is able to navigate.  Not every coach will be able to do that.  

Average is putting it very nicely. Before Few they had only made 2 NCAA tournament appearances.

They were basically University of Portland prior to hiring Dan Monson in the mid 90s. Yes they produced John Stockton, but Steve Nash went to Santa Clara...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

Problem with looking at this year's attendance numbers is that we're still in a pandemic, loads of people are still staying away from large crowds, especially older folks.  Until the pandemic ends, we'll continue to see lackluster attendance numbers across the board for the G5's. 

I dont think thats the issue in the Lone Star State.  Those are numbers those schools normally get.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.