Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I don't know of course but it may have come down to whether the AAC would have paid their exit fees to the MW..

They all committed to the MW after that.  Things could change but it seems like everyone looked around and decided the Mw was their best play.  

If Boise and SDSU leave, then maybe they look to leave again.  I dunno.  Maybe though if UNT or another school can rise up in the meantime, then maybe they would stay.  

I used to be anti expansion but I am warming to it more if the MW TV partners are open to it.  

3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

They all committed to the MW after that.  Things could change but it seems like everyone looked around and decided the Mw was their best play.  

If Boise and SDSU leave, then maybe they look to leave again.  I dunno.  Maybe though if UNT or another school can rise up in the meantime, then maybe they would stay.  

I used to be anti expansion but I am warming to it more if the MW TV partners are open to it.  

TV would seem to be the key..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

CSU and AFA were sniffing around the AAC..Not a P5 last I looked..

It really was more of a knee jerk reaction thinking Boise and SDSU was invited and considering .  As soon as Boise and SDSU announced they were staying csu and af backed away.  I don’t see that we were sniffing around.  All in all I didn’t like any of it.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

6 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

It really was more of a knee jerk reaction thinking Boise and SDSU was invited and considering .  As soon as Boise and SDSU announced they were staying csu and af backed away.  I don’t see that we were sniffing around.  All in all I didn’t like any of it.

I think we have a diverse membership and there is division...I believe that there are unhappy schools in this conference..

12 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

IMO, it's the only reason to add. 

By virtue of geography and SMU already being there, the AAC has the upper hand in TX. We get our choice of leftovers should they add  TX schools.

I'm not really sure if that matters in regards to added value. 

I hope we wait to see what the PAC does when their media deal is close to ending. If they stay at 12, the B12 probably will too. 

CUSA schools passed over by the AAC will still be available.

We have no reason to hurry. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, aztecsrule72001 said:

because if we're going to take a risk on a school's potential I'd rather take that shot with Rice. Great Academics, Houston market/recruiting, massive endowment. I just like the potential there more than UTSA.

Id like to see more commitment to their sports.  It just doesn't seem to be there.  

23 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I think we have a diverse membership and there is division...I believe that there are unhappy schools in this conference..

I agree. SDSU  and BSU think they are worthy of a bigger conference invite but apparently they are not as desirable as they think.   CSU thinks they are too but for absolutely no reason.  CU's lack of success in the P12 but success against CSU doesn't help them as well IMO.  The Flyboys have a head coach who apparently only looks at football and ignores BB and the Olympic sports.  

On top of everything,  BSU's sweetheart deal isn't really palatable anymore to the rest of the conference. 

But the reality is that unless a true P4/P5 conference comes calling, nobody is going anywhere - at least as things stand now - as the MWC is clearly the best non P4/P5 conference.   

Finally,  if the B12 is raided again,  and depending on who leaves,  the B12 for all intents and purposes may well drop below the MWC in importance (assuming a new super conference doesn't form and kill off the present system).  If that happens, the unhappy four may be stuck with the MWC regardless of their aspirations. 

6 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

There has been much division and some teams explored their options. That has been put to rest unless the P5 comes calling. We are about to be the top G5 with probably the best contract. Better than 50% chance of making the playoffs regularly. The only thing that our conference can do now to address the concerns of some of the schools is to work on, divisions, start times, foot print in Texas for recruiting and expanded exposer. The most important thing is to win the access to the playoffs which could address most of the discontent that has been expressed in the past.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Id like to see more commitment to their sports.  It just doesn't seem to be there.  

I read on the CUSA board that Rice was having emergency talks with their booster. 2 Rice fans on the board confirmed it but were not sure why but speculated that it was in response to AAC or MW inquiries. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

I don't know of course but it may have come down to whether the AAC would have paid their exit fees to the MW..

CSU said they were not that close to going after looking at the details.  Air Force on the other hand wants central time zone exposure.

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

Agreed.  It’s probably too much to hope for but it would be a game-changer if CBS and Fox were willing to put enough money on the table to lure SMU out of the AAC.  The news of a 6-0 SMU and a 6-0 UTSA both agreeing to jump to the MWC would turn a lot of heads in the college football world.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Now we have done it..We have Texas schools coming to the MW board to bad mouth each other..At least the dudes from NDSU just rip on MW schools..

Good on them, I say. Saves us sane MW posters the trouble of having to point out those schools' many flaws to the idiots here who so often drool on their keyboards over the prospect of adding them to the conference.

SMU isn't leaving the AAC so I feel they shouldn't even be in the discussion but agree it would be awesome to have them. 

Best bets with whats left is imo:

1-UNT

2-UTSA

3-Texas State

Appreciate the feedback from the UNT and UTSA posters as it did give us some good info. I don't think being a party school however should be a reason to cancel them from the equation.

A Friday night college game in Texas with Friday Night (HS) Lights all around?  Who was the brainchild behind that idea? 
Actually, I was down in Dallas on a sales trip 3 years ago with some time on my hands so I drove the 30 minute drive up to Denton (& UNT) to watch this game.  The greenies stadium was packed.  
I had a cousin (who lived in Arlington) who joined me in Denton.  He was an SMU alum.  He bragged how his Mustangs were going to kick North Texas butt.  Well, not this night. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Good on them, I say. Saves us sane MW posters the trouble of having to point out those schools' many flaws to the idiots here who so often drool on their keyboards over the prospect of adding them to the conference.

I was just going to say that all the bickering between those fanbases just reinforces my opinion that none of those schools are particularly appealing. Even SMU doesn't move the needle that much for me, though they might as well be Alabama compared to the others (and of course they're not paying the sky-high exit fee to come here).

This is where it kind of sucks not to have more FBS schools on the west coast. We don't have any western equivalents of UAB, Coastal, App State, etc. who are obviously ready for a step up. This would be so much easier if there was a west-coast analogue to the Sun Belt and CUSA.

• Like 1

0mK6pGK.png

10 hours ago, SpaceForced said:

Out of curiosity, why does AF need to move conferences. It’s a national draw whatever conference they are in but have limited upside for obvious reasons. They aren’t going to be any more competitive in the non revenue sports and frankly, they don’t need the TV  money. They can schedule the service academies already. What am I missing?

3 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

SMU isn't leaving the AAC so I feel they shouldn't even be in the discussion but agree it would be awesome to have them. 

Best bets with whats left is imo:

1-UNT

2-UTSA

3-Texas State

Appreciate the feedback from the UNT and UTSA posters as it did give us some good info. I don't think being a party school however should be a reason to cancel them from the equation.

Texas State ?

We might as well invite Southern Utah or Tarelton State.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Facepalm 2

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor