Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

11 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Loyola Chicago belongs in the Big East more than DePaul does.  Same thing goes for Dayton.  The only school that makes sense to add is St. Louis.

Id love to see St. Louis get in.  Good fit.  Would be great for the University and the City.  

29 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Loyola Chicago belongs in the Big East more than DePaul does.  Same thing goes for Dayton.  

How do you figure that?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

40 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

The Big East is going to put teams in the NCAA tournament.  There is a lot of money that can be made from both credits and TV.  But, I'm looking at it as something that would be fun to watch.  My team isn't going to ever get that opportunity.  I like basketball.  To me it sounds like a whole lot of fun.  I'm not looking at it from a MWC cohesion thing.  

The Big East puts a bunch of teams in the tourney regardless. The real concern is the massive travel expenses that their non-revenue sports would suddenly have to deal with. That, and the inherent instability of having a section of the league geographically divorced from the rest of the members. The whole reason why the new Big East exists is because the Catholic 7 got sick of dealing with the instability of the old Big East and walked away. It's hard to see them being willing to go into another potentially dysfunctional situation. Especially when the big prize here, Gonzaga, is hardly a lock to stay successful once Few retires.

0mK6pGK.png

On 10/14/2021 at 10:13 PM, ph90702 said:

DePaul sucks.  Loyola Chicago is a better program.  Same thing for Dayton.

DePaul is a bigger school with more support and a bigger presence in the market.  Loyola's recent success is just that - recent.   And they dont have Porter Moser anymore.

Based on your logic, UNLV should be tossed and replaced by NDSU.  But it doesnt work that way.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

The Big East puts a bunch of teams in the tourney regardless. The real concern is the massive travel expenses that their non-revenue sports would suddenly have to deal with. That, and the inherent instability of having a section of the league geographically divorced from the rest of the members. The whole reason why the new Big East exists is because the Catholic 7 got sick of dealing with the instability of the old Big East and walked away. It's hard to see them being willing to go into another potentially dysfunctional situation. Especially when the big prize here, Gonzaga, is hardly a lock to stay successful once Few retires.

It is only for basketball.  Travel expenses are always the argument when you talk about all the OLY sports.  I still like the idea. I think it is a great opportunity for those schools and it would be fun basketball.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

Aresco continues his spin.  What a carnival barker. 

Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference. 

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now,” Aresco said. “In terms of the conference, our goals and vision have not changed. I think once we reconstitute we’re going to continue our approach. As in trying to become an autonomous six conference.”

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/aac-commissioner-mike-aresco-responds-to-c-usa-letter-realignment-and-murky-future-for-conference

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reverend said:

There is zero chance this happens. The only way this happens is if the football teams are in a PAC-12 for football only.

To be fair, in theory, I could see Dickey agreeing to this if were to only get a football-only invite from the Big 12 and this scenario was actually on the table for basketball. Even though it would still make zero sense geographically, it would be irresponsible to turn down the extra money. But the chances of all that happening are infinitely small. It's crazy that The Athletic expects people to pay for wacky realignment theories that would be laughed off message boards for free.

0mK6pGK.png

5 minutes ago, Billings said:

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now,” Aresco said.

This is another one of Aresco's typical bold-faced lies. Cincinnati was in the Big East when that was a power conference. Houston was in the SWC when that was a power conference. The AAC was a demotion from where they've been in the past, not an elevation. The only school that's actually elevated itself in the AAC is UCF, and that has everything to do with their location and enrollment, not their conference.

Sadly, though, Aresco's narcissistic bloviating works. Hair's silence has done nothing ever to help the MWC.

0mK6pGK.png

8 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

This is another one of Aresco's typical bold-faced lies. Cincinnati was in the Big East when that was a power conference. Houston was in the SWC when that was a power conference. The AAC was a demotion from where they've been in the past, not an elevation. The only school that's actually elevated itself in the AAC is UCF, and that has everything to do with their location and enrollment, not their conference.

Sadly, though, Aresco's narcissistic bloviating works. Hair's silence has done nothing ever to help the MWC.

What would you like to see Thompson do?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Problem with what he is saying is technically true and technically not, he is trying to choose his words carefully. I mean Cincinnati football has never been in this position before so that is technically correct, with Houston they have suffered since the SWC broke up and finally got on good ground with AAC again. Its nice that he says that but really if it wasn't without finding good coaches......

2 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

This place sucks.

Not my fault, anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 10/12/2021 at 8:43 AM, Reverend said:

Yeah yeah. Tell that bitch whore of a mother the child support is on the counter. Listen to the video, be proven wrong, then take a shotgun to your temple. OK pal.

1. That's not how shotguns work

2. Bye 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Hawaii is football-only, which is allowed because football gets special treatment as the biggest cash cow.

Quibbling over Boise State or New Mexico or other western schools is kind of missing the real problem, which is that an eastern conference with a few random members all the way on the other side of the country just doesn't work for anyone logistically.

Has a school ever had their football team in another conference when their main conference sponsored football at that same level? I can’t think of a single instance where that has happened. Hawaii can have their setup because the Big West doesn’t sponsor football. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BSUFiend said:

Now that's just click bait..  Boise is not an elite bball program.  We're decent but not elite

And UNLV is ?

The problem with BE basketball is, the other sports are set adrift.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

10 hours ago, Someone Else said:

I swear these guys just write anything and hope people click.  

And what would sdsu & bsu do with their football teams in this situation... perhaps join the sec?? lol

The Wacky WAC 3.0 is coming.

Sooner than later.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere on the board but I haven’t seen it.  This is the latest speculation (no real news) from Chris Vannini of The Athletic on potential MWC expansion, published in this week Wednesday’s edition of his periodic “G5 Drive” article in the “mailbag” section:

Any chance the MWC goes on offense and tries to add SMU or Tulsa to its footprint while AAC is down? — Dave C.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mountain West kicks the tires on SMU, but the Mustangs don’t have much to gain from a costly exit leaving the AAC. They’re pretty happy with where things are. Tulsa isn’t as much of a draw. It has the lowest enrollment in the FBS. SMU would bring more successful athletics and a move into Texas.

The state of Texas is an appealing expansion spot for the Mountain West. Whether it’s North Texas, Rice, UTSA or taking a swing on SMU, there’s something for the conference to gain there if it decides to make a move. The AAC is now headquartered in Texas but has only one future member in the state (SMU). The AAC could also look at North Texas or Rice both to boost itself and to potentially push back against the Mountain West from within the state.

https://theathletic.com/2885797/2021/10/13/utep-uses-the-kansas-state-model-for-its-turnaround-plus-cincinnatis-playoff-chances-and-more-g5-drive/