Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

8 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

This is just click bait.  I read the article in The Athletic.  The "Could it be looking West?" question is all speculation by the writer Dana O'Neil and not based on anything Big East commissioner Gail Ackerman told her in their interview.  In fact when Ackerman is quoted in the article about Big East expansion she specifically references adding a "school" rather than "schools":

“(The end of the Fox deal is) in the back of our minds,’’ Ackerman says. “What keeps us in a prime position in respect to our media rights? It’s about quality basketball programming. What school would help us with our basketball aspirations, men’s and women’s? What school lines up with our existing values? What school would help us with respect to our primary revenue stream, and national TV revenue?”

Ackerman also goes on to say this:

“Travel and logistics really do matter,’’ Ackerman says. “We’ve got to be sensitive to that. It’s not insurmountable, but geography is sort of high on our list.’’

The only thing giving this any legs is another Ackerman quote at the end of the article saying "In this environment there are no crazy ideas" which follows after O'Neil's presentation of the multi-school western expansion concept.  It looks as if O'Neil floated the idea to Ackerman who decided to respond politely rather than tell her she was nuts.

Just now, Someone Else said:

I swear these guys just write anything and hope people click.  

And what would sdsu & bsu do with their football teams in this situation... perhaps join the sec?? lol

No. Boise State is an elite academic institution. We will go to the Big 10.

• Facepalm 1

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

48 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

That is an intriguing list.  I would drop Boise State and go with someone in a larger market in the West.  Yes, I know Gonzaga isn't in a large market but they are Gonzaga.  For just basketball only I like that.  I would like to see that.  As some have said it's probably click bait.

• Like 1

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

58 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Zero chance this happens. Running a literal coast-to-coast conference would be untenable, especially without football and the major money it brings. And speaking of football, us, SDSU and UNLV would have nowhere to put our programs. As for Gonzaga, what happens if their basketball program falls off once Few retires and DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall are still stuck sending their non-revenue sports to Spokane every year?

It would make way more sense for the Big East to look at Wichita State, VCU, Richmond, Davidson, Dayton, Loyola-Chicago, etc.

0mK6pGK.png

2 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Zero chance this happens. Running a literal coast-to-coast conference would be untenable, especially without football and the major money it brings. And speaking of football, us, SDSU and UNLV would have nowhere to put our programs.

Why couldn't the football teams as well as the other sports stay in the MWC.  I thought the MWC only gives you the boot if you move your football program elsewhere.  Just like what happened to byu when they went independent.  

Stamp.

10 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

Why couldn't the football teams as well as the other sports stay in the MWC.  I thought the MWC only gives you the boot if you move your football program elsewhere.  Just like what happened to byu when they went independent.  

You are making scheduling harder, there is less cohesion within the conference, there really is no reason to allow teams to split sports up like that, plus I don't think it would be allowed by the NCAA since the MW sponsors basketball

Just now, Wyobraska said:

You are making scheduling harder, there is less cohesion within the conference, there really is no reason to allow teams to split sports up like that, plus I don't think it would be allowed by the NCAA since the MW sponsors basketball

How does Hawaii do it?  As an edit to my previous post I'm thinking that Boise State off the list and put New Mexico in.  After all the Pit has a lot of potential as they've shown in the past.

Stamp.

10 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

How does Hawaii do it?  As an edit to my previous post I'm thinking that Boise State off the list and put New Mexico in.  After all the Pit has a lot of potential as they've shown in the past.

I think they can put football somewhere else because the Big West doesn't sponsor football.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

Hawaii is football-only, which is allowed because football gets special treatment as the biggest cash cow.

Quibbling over Boise State or New Mexico or other western schools is kind of missing the real problem, which is that an eastern conference with a few random members all the way on the other side of the country just doesn't work for anyone logistically.

• Like 3

0mK6pGK.png

30 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

There is zero chance this happens. The only way this happens is if the football teams are in a PAC-12 for football only. So no way it happens.

This is one of the worst articles I have ever seen coming from them. That says a lot.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

32 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

CT and MWC didn't want split sports and one criteria they had was you needed a football team at the time. Hawaii signed their own deal with MWC and is a special case which only Hawaii will have. 

4 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Hawaii is football-only, which is allowed because football gets special treatment as the biggest cash cow.

Quibbling over Boise State or New Mexico or other western schools is kind of missing the real problem, which is that an eastern conference with a few random members all the way on the other side of the country just doesn't work for anyone logistically.

The Big East is going to put teams in the NCAA tournament.  There is a lot of money that can be made from both credits and TV.  But, I'm looking at it as something that would be fun to watch.  My team isn't going to ever get that opportunity.  I like basketball.  To me it sounds like a whole lot of fun.  I'm not looking at it from a MWC cohesion thing.  

Stamp.

2 hours ago, Billings said:

Aresco says expansion news in about a month

"Aresco said he suspects the American to add several schools in the “coming weeks to a month.” He declined to comment on which schools they would be. 

The University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB) has been discussed as a potential target. 

“You really don’t want this to be a long process, we’ve had a lot of time to study it,” Aresco said."

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/aac-commissioner-mike-aresco-responds-to-c-usa-letter-realignment-and-murky-future-for-conference

He said the same thing at the end of September as well that it will be coming weeks. So really he is just saying once again what he said at the end of last month. I think really they are reorganizing because Plan A flopped, now they are looking at their backups. Now if true UTSA said they didn't have the finances currently to move to another conference that could be another hit. 

2 minutes ago, Reverend said:

There is zero chance this happens. The only way this happens is if the football teams are in a PAC-12 for football only. So no way it happens.

This is one of the worst articles I have ever seen coming from them. That says a lot.

I'm not going to disagree.  It's more like click bait as has been said. 

Stamp.