Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

8 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I have 0.0 proof, but IMO west coast FB has been down since the WAC died. And the WAC was the thing keeping CDT/CST timezones looking west. Just my totally unproven suspicion. 

I don't know about the WAC but I agree that getting into CST should be and seems to be a priority for MWC leadership.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

2 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I don't know about the WAC but I agree that getting into CST should be and seems to be a priority for MWC leadership.

If you look at pop density maps it's obvious why. Regardless of on the field success, our conference's region has a population problem.

20 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

1. Reno has historically been aligned with the West Coast coast teams.  I think that is an assumption. 

2. Again, any proof of this voting block and power that is keeping the West Coasters down?

1. Also a reality as Reno is chock full of California transplants.

2. I used to bitch a lot about the MW being controlled by the altitude schools and I think it definitely was for a dozen years but I just don't think it is anymore. Utah and YBU have left, any juice UNM once had in decision making has been diminished by the huge dropoff in football quality without Rocky as HC, and Nevada, Fresno and SJSU have been added to the mix. I'd still like to see the westerners separated from the front rangers but that's simply a result of travel difficulties and my desire to see AFA gone for various reasons.

18 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The only way I see SMU moving to the MW is if we get a big raise and the AAC gets a big pay cut.  Even then, they won't come alone. 

I pretty much agree with your assessment of our potential candidates.  The only thing I question is how adding a team in TX that very few people in TX care about, is going to help our recruiting in TX?

I don't get the Tulane talk either.   Great school, but way too far away.

Tom Craft didn't get much right when he coached SDSU but one thing he said which proved correct was that adding TCU would help with recruiting Texas because the original eight MWC members would play in that state every other year and thereby have HS coaches begin to pay some attention to them. Nobody cared much about TCU when they were added to the MWC as their program had been very erratic over the prior decade but all of a sudden SDSU began getting a Texas kid or two annually and when Rocky brought Jeff Horton to SDSU in 2011, we began getting even more and they've really helped.

I'm not arguing that adding a Texas school would be a goldmine for the MW but no state has close to the HS football talent that's in the eastern half of that state and "football drives the bus."

5 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

And MW schools don't ?

Reverse the lense and look at the MW schools with the same intensity. If you were a Sun Belt AD, would Wyoming or Sparty be a good fit for your Conference ?

Wyoming has everything but a media market. Their new athletic center puts most G5 and plenty of P5 schools to shame. They are also in the top third in attendence on the G5 level with a state that has a population of some California apartment complexes. I'll take Wyoming as a conference mate over most of the MWC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

3 minutes ago, Reverend said:

Wyoming has everything but a media market. Their new athletic center puts most G5 and plenty of P5 schools to shame. They are also in the top third in attendence on the G5 level with a state that has a population of some California apartment complexes. I'll take Wyoming as a conference mate over most of the MWC.

Me too.  They also have some of the best fans on this board. 

I like being in a conference with Wyoming.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

18 hours ago, Reverend said:

Worth a listen if you're a Boise fan or hater.

https://youtu.be/Vm13laCeh0o

If that guy is correct about everything he says, that was very valuable info. For example, if he's correct about the P12 emphasizing the value of major airports to get "student"(lol)-athletes in and out of town and back home asap, the P12 will never offer membership to Texas Tech on that basis alone.

However, I have to wonder whether if Boise has actually put the megabucks into academics that he says is the case why, obtaining Tier 2 research status excepted, its academics are still so lowly regarded nationally.

17 hours ago, nvspuds said:

So research 1 status is a key..

Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, Utep, Rice and North Texas all have that designation..

hmmmm...

A key to what though?

My understanding is that just like AAU membership is a prerequisite to B1G membership (you at least have to be close to obtaining it as was Nebraska), Tier 1 status is a prerequisite for P12 membership. But it's also my understanding that having a medical school virtually guarantees gaining Tier 1 status because of the huge expenses involved with doing research in that field versus doing so in any other field.

So what does the "hmmmm" mean?

7 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

I read the article yesterday as well. Interesting to note is that SDSU has Doctoral program arrangements with every School in the UC system but one.

UCLA

To me, that is further evidence SC and the Uclans will never allow the Aztecs into the Pac. They have always considered SD their backyard and don't want the competition. Hell, except for qb and wr we are out recruiting and out performing them now.

:facepalm:Once again. THERE IS NO REASON FOR USC TO WORRY ABOUT HAVING TO COMPETE WITH SDSU FOR FOOTBALL PLAYERS!!!

SDSU will never, ever have a football program that rivals USC's. It is impossible. (And btw, although hoops is an afterthought at USC, the already can't out-recruit SDSU in that sport.)

And the article says nothing to the contrary. What it suggests is that it is UCLA which doesn't want SDSU in the P12. However, last I looked, UCLA had just one vote on expansion questions.

• Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

A key to what though?

My understanding is that just like AAU membership is a prerequisite to B1G membership (you at least have to be close to obtaining it as was Nebraska), Tier 1 status is a prerequisite for P12 membership. But it's also my understanding that having a medical school virtually guarantees gaining Tier 1 status because of the huge expenses involved with doing research in that field versus doing so in any other field.

That dude on the Podcast was mentioning how important it is to Boise to get to R1.  They are currently R2..I was just pointing out other schools, including my own, are R1 and the Big 12 most likely isn't looking at any of them..

It is a nice designation for academic reasons..But I am not sure it plays much of a role in realignment..

I was being ironic which is hard to convey on a message board.. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

A key to what though?

Nebraska was an AAU member at the time they were invited to the B1G. They were booted from the AAU a few years later.

In any event, the reason that university presidents care about AAU/R1 status/academic prestige/etc. has less to do with academic snobbery than it does with money. Sure, academic snobbery plays a role. Oregon State probably gets a few more applicants every year because a few prospective freshmen see them playing Stanford and Cal on TV. But the main reason that academics matter in conference realignment is because elite research universities tend to have large endowments and lots of wealthy donors, so they have the capability to fund a successful athletics department.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Nebraska was an AAU member at the time they were invited to the B1G. They were booted from the AAU a few years later.

In any event, the reason that university presidents care about AAU/R1 status/academic prestige/etc. has less to do with academic snobbery than it does with money. Sure, academic snobbery plays a role. Oregon State probably gets a few more applicants every year because a few prospective freshmen see them playing Stanford and Cal on TV. But the main reason that academics matter in conference realignment is because elite research universities tend to have large endowments and lots of wealthy donors, so they have the capability to fund a successful athletics department.

Big Ten has a massive research consortium, ACC schools like Tobacco Road work with each other, the SEC has an academic consortium (nothing like the Big Ten though) and I am sure the PAC 12 has something as well.  It's like a non-geographic agglomeration of academia.  I can understand why academics play a factor and why President's, not AD's run the decision-making.

4 hours ago, ToTheMountains said:

Still talking about this shit I see. I’m guessing I haven’t missed much in the last week.

Stay away

• Haha 2

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

:facepalm:Once again. THERE IS NO REASON FOR USC TO WORRY ABOUT HAVING TO COMPETE WITH SDSU FOR FOOTBALL PLAYERS!!!

SDSU will never, ever have a football program that rivals USC's. It is impossible. (And btw, although hoops is an afterthought at USC, the already can't out-recruit SDSU in that sport.)

And the article says nothing to the contrary. What it suggests is that it is UCLA which doesn't want SDSU in the P12. However, last I looked, UCLA had just one vote on expansion questions.

The Aztecs would beat the pants off of USC the last three seasons. 

Why ?

Because the Aztecs can out recruit, Coach better, and has better players than SC. 

Its a fact.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Everytime someone lays out the East/West alignment, i roll my eyes and realize it's the only way CSU and Wyoming can win a title.

Its the Western version of the B1G.

I think that is why there was so much a fight with how to do the divisions for what we have right now

Aresco says expansion news in about a month

"Aresco said he suspects the American to add several schools in the “coming weeks to a month.” He declined to comment on which schools they would be. 

The University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB) has been discussed as a potential target. 

“You really don’t want this to be a long process, we’ve had a lot of time to study it,” Aresco said."

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/aac-commissioner-mike-aresco-responds-to-c-usa-letter-realignment-and-murky-future-for-conference

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Big Ten has a massive research consortium, ACC schools like Tobacco Road work with each other, the SEC has an academic consortium (nothing like the Big Ten though) and I am sure the PAC 12 has something as well.  It's like a non-geographic agglomeration of academia.  I can understand why academics play a factor and why President's, not AD's run the decision-making.

Yep.  PAC has a research agreement between schools as well.  They love med and vet schools to be members