Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

18 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Okay folks, I'm sold on North Texas and Texas State additions if we did expand. Holding out hope Tulsa shakes lose from the AAC if they lose Memphis and SMU, is Tulane too far? 

Tulane ?

Tulsa ?

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

18 hours ago, Reverend said:

You know who has really good facilities? UTEP. Plus they were working on the Sun Bowl but had to put it on hold.

waynes world GIF

Americans Mayor

17 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

From what I've been reading, it sounds like Temple is worried.  They are kind of isolated away from the rest of the conference.  Travel costs are really hurting them.  There has been suggestions that they move their oly sports to the A-10.  I think that would be a good move for them.

The A10 is their origins. Albeit, the makeup of the Conference has changed, it's a good geo fit for them.

I'm also thinking its easier to shop an Indy FB squad than an entire Athletic Dept.

What are their options if they and AAC  part ways ?

They are outside of the Sun Belt Conference footprint. Supposedly, that's why they kicked out Idaho and the NewMags.

C-USA, based on rumours, is looking at defections itself.

The G5 Commishes need a zoom meeting. For the survival of their FBS programs. If they allow the 'Market' to determine where their schools end up, half of them go back to the FCS or shutdown their football programs.

Americans Mayor

17 hours ago, wolf from 73 said:

This letter was under the direction and representative of C-USA as a whole not NT as a specific institution. 

This is what I have been saying all along. Regionalized Conferences. Restore the Regional Rivalries.

I do see an issue with UNM, NMSU, and UTEP being in the same league. While, geographically it makes sense, for them,  it is two OOC games on the schedule they have to fill with out of region opponents. 

While many argue the increased access to payday games, imo, they are going away as the P5 moves to isolate themselves from the rest of the NCAA.

Americans Mayor

16 hours ago, Reverend said:

Adding North Texas and UTSA would add media value to the next contract based off the population. It's somewhat true that someone like North Texas doesn't draw eyes to TV but networks have a make an assumption how much consumers North Texas would gain or lose with a move. UTEP would gain the most viewers and is a big market but it's a market that doesn't help anyone on the MWC already. Every other team in Texas does.

CSU wanted the move for themselves. They blame not being in other time zones for the reason they have struggled. Plus he mentions the recruiting. So it's fair to say no one on Texas adds to our next deal. It's more of finding schools who can grow and become valuable over time while taking the resources Texas provides.

Why the belief that the Conference has to have Texas schools to recruit in Texas ?

SDSU has around 12-15 Texas kids on the roster who are good ball players. Many are starters. SDSU specifically has Coaches and FB staff assigned to recruit Texas.

They do this without playing any Texas teams or having Texas teams in their Conference.

• Like 2

Americans Mayor

16 hours ago, aztecsrule72001 said:

All of them have glaring issues.

And MW schools don't ?

Reverse the lense and look at the MW schools with the same intensity. If you were a Sun Belt AD, would Wyoming or Sparty be a good fit for your Conference ?

Americans Mayor

16 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

I agree, I guess it will depend on what particular issues:

-North Texas: Really only thing I can think of is consistent on field production/results.

-UTEP: On field production/results.

-UTSA: Facilities, Academics

-Texas State: On Field Production

Frankly all of these are not impossible to improve or fix and all bring a level of potential growth and upside. And as mentioned Boise, AF and CSU get what they want to keep them around longer and there is more cushion for any future expansion. Plus I like how the Conference would look:

MOUNTAIN:

CSU, WYO, USU, AF, UNM, UNT/UTEP, Texas State/UTSA

WEST:

BSU, Nevada, UNLV, SDSU, SJSU, Hawaii, FSU

In that alignment, the Pokes have a real shot at winning a Division Title.

:thumbsup:

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, bigd said:

Honestly, all the pieces are together now to form a nice Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic based football-only league:

Army

Buffalo

UConn 

Liberty

UMass

Navy

Temple

-Army and Navy would like that they could get bowl eligible most years. Buffalo and Temple could join the A10 for all other sports, both be nice basketball additions

-All other programs have homes for their other sports

After a quick google, it appears the NCAA rules don't allow football only FBS conferences so nevermind. 

Temple, Navy, Buffalo,  and I would add Marshall, go Indy in FB and they can schedule each other.

Americans Mayor

14 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I think it is a good idea as well.  It is crazy though when you get to some of the schools.  I think I read that UL-L would never agree to be in a conference with whatever Louisiana school is in CUSA or the Sun Belt.  I can't remember who is in which conference down there.  

La Tech

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I don't get the Tulane talk either.   Great school, but way too far away.

Hawa'ii is holding on line 3.

• Haha 2

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I just don't see any school giving us value of anything right now, and having the schools take less money for now would be counter productive for making a move. I have seen and heard that UTSA is in the middle of a budget crunch, but their basketball arena needs a upgrade so doesn't look like a WCC school, they need a football stadium, and don't really know the rest of their facilities. I guess with North Texas would could take a chance on them as they have shown on the football field and basketball field, they can win.

But none of those schools would move the needle. There was a fight when doing the divisions before I would image there could be a bigger one adding those schools. Having SDSU, Fresno St, Boise St all in the same division so you possibly could have your best schools in one division beating up on each other while a eastern division could be really bad. 

Everytime someone lays out the East/West alignment, i roll my eyes and realize it's the only way CSU and Wyoming can win a title.

Its the Western version of the B1G.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Why the belief that the Conference has to have Texas schools to recruit in Texas ?

SDSU has around 12-15 Texas kids on the roster who are good ball players. Many are starters. SDSU specifically has Coaches and FB staff assigned to recruit Texas.

They do this without playing any Texas teams or having Texas teams in their Conference.

Not everyone is SDSU.  Same conversation regarding OOC scheduling 

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

I read the article yesterday as well. Interesting to note is that SDSU has Doctoral program arrangements with every School in the UC system but one.

UCLA

To me, that is further evidence SC and the Uclans will never allow the Aztecs into the Pac. They have always considered SD their backyard and don't want the competition. Hell, except for qb and wr we are out recruiting and out performing them now.

Kinda cool to realize and understand it's been UCSD that has really assisted SDSU's ascent in terms of graduate level programs. Seems they see the regional value over there over the potential for competition. 

2 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Kinda cool to realize and understand it's been UCSD that has really assisted SDSU's ascent in terms of graduate level programs. Seems they see the regional value over there over the potential for competition. 

Not really, i watched UCSD being built when i wad growing up in LJ. Both schools were and are growing together it seems.

Americans Mayor

4 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

The A10 is their origins. Albeit, the makeup of the Conference has changed, it's a good geo fit for them.

I'm also thinking its easier to shop an Indy FB squad than an entire Athletic Dept.

What are their options if they and AAC  part ways ?

They are outside of the Sun Belt Conference footprint. Supposedly, that's why they kicked out Idaho and the NewMags.

C-USA, based on rumours, is looking at defections itself.

The G5 Commishes need a zoom meeting. For the survival of their FBS programs. If they allow the 'Market' to determine where their schools end up, half of them go back to the FCS or shutdown their football programs.

The speculation I read is their FB stays in the AAC.  I am assuming that is because they don't really have a better option.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Not really, i watched UCSD being built when i wad growing up in LJ. Both schools were and are growing together it seems.

Sure, I didn't realize that extended behind the scenes though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

I have 0.0 proof, but IMO west coast FB has been down since the WAC died. And the WAC was the thing keeping CDT/CST timezones looking west. Just my totally unproven suspicion. 

• Like 2