Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Tulsa is between SMU and Memphis and the Texas schools we're looking at appeal wise. I expect them to maybe get pushed out of the AAC if the AAC lost the rest of their western teams and didn't look to replenish in Texas and Louisiana.

And I dont see the appeal of Tulsa.  At all.  They're lucky to be where they are.  And the AAC is certainly in no position to be pushing schools out at this point.

• Like 2

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

And I dont see the appeal of Tulsa.  At all.  They're lucky to be where they are.  And the AAC is certainly in no position to be pushing schools out at this point.

I don't either.  Unless things change and SMU is looking to join the MW with some other programs, they don't really help us at all.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, RSF said:

Same, I'm not sold on Tulsa.  I'd rather grab a Texas school with growth potential and mindset.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Tulsa is the least appreciated entity in the aac.  I understand trying to shift the geography east but it would take more than just them to make meaningful inroads.

The least appreciated?  I may say ECU or Temple.  Maybe even USF.  Tulsa is pretty over-appreciated seeing as how they have not done much in OOC, don't have a big alumni base, and have outdated facilities and a market dominated by OU and OSU.  ECU controls east NC, USF is in fertile recruiting ground and has a large alumni base.  They just need to re-energize their fans.  Same with Temple, who has a pretty good basketball history.  Tulsa has none of those, but they are in the middle of the country, so I guess that is their enticing factor.  

20 hours ago, Someone Else said:

My opinion (based on my super secret insider info..lolz) is that you are correct.  The key to these things is TV money, yes?  Why on earth would anyone in the MW want to add teams to the conference.  It lowers each member's respective share of the pie.  I can't understand why the B12 & the aac losing members would somehow create some NEW reason for the MW to add any new teams. the MW didn't lose any members???

The only reason I could see a school like BSU or SDSU to want to add schools from TX would be to lessen the control the front range schools have on the conference... and if I'm a front ranger why would I want to agree to that and get less money too??? 

If the available TX schools would somehow add value to the conference from a tv standpoint those moves would have already happened.  (And no one from the MW is waiting for the aac to do anything...)

The Colorado Ad is the one publicly pushing hard for this and he answers many of the objection you bring up. CT has also recently mentioned possible Texas additions. So until it is publicly stated that they are done its not done.

Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

The least appreciated?  I may say ECU or Temple.  Maybe even USF.  Tulsa is pretty over-appreciated seeing as how they have not done much in OOC, don't have a big alumni base, and have outdated facilities and a market dominated by OU and OSU.  ECU controls east NC, USF is in fertile recruiting ground and has a large alumni base.  They just need to re-energize their fans.  Same with Temple, who has a pretty good basketball history.  Tulsa has none of those, but they are in the middle of the country, so I guess that is their enticing factor.  

From what I've been reading, it sounds like Temple is worried.  They are kind of isolated away from the rest of the conference.  Travel costs are really hurting them.  There has been suggestions that they move their oly sports to the A-10.  I think that would be a good move for them.

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

We were never even close to going to the AAC.  In fact, per an interview with our AD, it never got past the AD exploratory level.  There was never a request for an invitation nor an invitation.  Apparently never even hit the president level at all.  So much for the media.

There's no question that CSU looked into it, that happened.  However, there was no last minute backing out on an almost done deal by CSU.  It just never got that close.  If I can find the interview, I'll post it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/athletic-director-joe-parker-joins-to-talk-about-the/id1509883324?i=1000537540349

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

From what I've been reading, it sounds like Temple is worried.  They are kind of isolated away from the rest of the conference.  Travel costs are really hurting them.  There has been suggestions that they move their oly sports to the A-10.  I think that would be a good move for them.

What about football?  They still have some recent good teams, so it isn't like they don't care about it.  If they can nab Marshall and App, maybe even Coastal or ODU, they may be able to balance divisions for them.  A-10 will likely be a much better fit for basketball though, you are right. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

The Colorado Ad is the one publicly pushing hard for this and he answers many of the objection you bring up. CT has also recently mentioned possible Texas additions. So until it is publicly stated that they are done its not done.

I'm not sure that the Colorado St. AD  speaks for the conference...maybe he does but I doubt it since he wanted to go to the aac and it didn't happen (right?)... but for a moment, lets say he does .... here were my questions.  how does he answer them?

1) Why on earth would anyone in the MW want to add teams given it simply reduces each school's share of desperately needed money?

2) Why does the B12 & aac losing schools create some NEW reason, one that didn't exist prior to those moves, for the MW to add any teams since the MW didn't lose any teams?

3) If the reason to add teams comes from BSU & SDSU... and it's because they want to lessen the control the front range schools have on the conference... why would the front range schools want that?

I'll take your answer off the air.  Thanks!

(btw, I don't know who or what CT is so I can't speak to that.... EDIT... CT must be Hair... got it... what exactly did Hair say???)

7 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

1) Why on earth would anyone in the MW want to add teams given it simply reduces each school's share of desperately needed money?

Not necessarily true...thanks to the shifting ground of realignment, the TV deals these days have language to adjust the value based on membership changes.  Couldn't tell you how the MWC deal might be written, but I think its safe to say few schools would be on board with adding schools if it cut into their revenues.  Maintaining revenue levels would be a reasonable goal.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

I have no opinion on him as a person.  Immature, but whatever.

And yes, it is stupid.  But when people post falsehoods, intentionally or unintentionally, if its wrong to call them on it, so be it.  I make no apologies.  If people are going to take it so personally and lash out so childishly, they need to look in the mirror.

It should be noted I do the same thing with Woosh.  I dont hear anybody complaining about that...quite the opposite, in fact.

I enjoy discussing the topic at hand, no matter the conference.  So I'm not going anywhere.  Have a nice day.

You're dumb as +++++. Anytime I say that I hear something I put it down and any time I have an opinion I put it down. You like to mix the two. And it doesn't take much effort to look at what I am right or wrong about. I hear stuff that ends up being wrong all the time. Bit I also get a lot right.

I told you a long time ago to just ignore me but you decided to lush it and be a dick for no reason. Then you tell me I need thinker skin.  Halfman already told people that who knew who my source was and admitted that they would know the things I post. Bit that wasn't good enough for you just like links to beat writers and podcast folks on the know isn't good enough for you.

You don't wanna ignore me then fine but I don't like you. I think you're a piece of shit, and I'll never respect you. You're the perfect example of why they should hand out condoms at Wal-Mart and the reason why drunk men come home and beat their wives. Because they have mistakes like you.

You're some internet know it all tough guy who refuses to let people have opinions and conversations and you sure as Hell don't wanna admit you're wrong.

For the rest of the people on the board I'll drop it and won't respond to your unless you open your shit water to me first. Bit I'll never give you any respect. That time has passed.

• Facepalm 1
  • OG R-Tard 1

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Not necessarily true...thanks to the shifting ground of realignment, the TV deals these days have language to adjust the value based on membership changes.  Couldn't tell you how the MWC deal might be written, but I think its safe to say few schools would be on board with adding schools if it cut into their revenues.  Maintaining revenue levels would be a reasonable goal.

So, I agree, the only reason why the MW would add any teams is because CBS told them to in order to maintain or slightly increase TV revenue.  If that is the reason... seems reasonable... I am not sure adding any of the available TX teams does that but I'm not a CBS executive.

10 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

So, I agree, the only reason why the MW would add any teams is because CBS told them to in order to maintain or slightly increase TV revenue.  If that is the reason... seems reasonable... I am not sure adding any of the available TX teams does that but I'm not a CBS executive.

Adding North Texas and UTSA would add media value to the next contract based off the population. It's somewhat true that someone like North Texas doesn't draw eyes to TV but networks have a make an assumption how much consumers North Texas would gain or lose with a move. UTEP would gain the most viewers and is a big market but it's a market that doesn't help anyone on the MWC already. Every other team in Texas does.

CSU wanted the move for themselves. They blame not being in other time zones for the reason they have struggled. Plus he mentions the recruiting. So it's fair to say no one on Texas adds to our next deal. It's more of finding schools who can grow and become valuable over time while taking the resources Texas provides.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.