Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm sorry you have to endure SLC sports talk, I find it awful. Maybe its better in San Diego. Locally its a lot of baiting fan bases (BYU/Utah) to try and anger listeners and drum up customers.

I agree with @Someone Else local sports talk radio is a dying industry

Seems that way. Some get lucky and can create YouTube channels.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

30 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

@Spaztecs

here is a link to an Aztec Newsletter by Schaeffer. IMO, this guy is our number 1 fan in the local media. 

https://www.getrevue.co/profile/AztecsInsider?via=twitter-profile-webview

I hope Schaeffer becomes the new voice of SDSU when Leitner retires as the lead PBP.   He does great job promoting the Aztecs.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It's sure big here in SLC. Two FT stations and one PT sports talk.

And yea, I'm an old guy 

3 sports stations here....actually 4.  One Spanish sports station.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

44 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

This thread is still a thing?

I thought this was put to bed a couple weeks ago!

Rumors & fan speculation are just that... rumors and fan speculation.

I have no 'inside information' from some mythical board member, only a personal opinion.  And not that its worth a hill of bananas, my opinion is that we are done here.  And I just don't mean done as in no more moves but that eventually only 30-40 teams will be allowed into the party (meaning meaningful TV money)... and most of you know exactly who those teams are.  

If you don't, i'll help, it's the SEC & B10 teams plus a few from the ACC and a few from the Pac 12...  I bet you can name those teams, can't you?

The rest of the schools will be fighting for scraps and it won't really matter to the tv folks who gets those scraps because it will be minor league stuff and only used for filler content.  There may be one or two teams that squeak in there from the world of the outcasts but I doubt it. 

So fans here that are arguing who is more worthy of a "promotion" ...in my mind are just fooling themselves.  

btw, I have forgotten what team I root for this week... is it middle tennessee or app st?  doesn't matter, we are all on the outside looking in with our noses on the glass...

cheers... (Oh, my board member connection just confirmed that I was right about all of this!!)

Well done.

12 hours ago, Billings said:

Nobody in the MWC cared about TCU when they were added.  Turned into a great conference game and a successful arrangement.

Do you know what outlier means? There isn’t enough revenue in the current contract to sustain Texas’ third tier D1 programs. TCU has a rich history. And probably more money than all of the current expansion candidates combined. These Texas programs have no connection to the MWC. Zip. This experiment failed twice already. If SDSU and Boise leave, then a full-on lifeboat discussion will take place. 

Football drives the bus..That is the mantra.

The single most proactive move the 7 long time WAC schools did was form the the MWC.

They didn't care about TCU and the Ft Worth market

They didn't care about SMU and Dallas

Rice not interested in even a part of Houston mkt.

Tulsa, Utep no go

Fresno State, Hawaii and SJSU all good sized cities in the neighborhood.  Sorry

Boise State and NV were still in the Big West..completely under the radar...

So , if we accept the mantra that football drives the bus..

They gave away all those schools and kept UNLV football..

Think about that..UNLV FOOTBALL..

The thing is..Nobody knows how things will go in the future with any schools.  Presidents and AD's along with commissioners make mistakes.  They make decisions based upon many things..Sometimes panic, sometimes arrogance...

It ain't science and it ain't art..

It was actually a fun thread.  The MWC was spared in this round.  B12 retained P5 status and AAC was weakened.  CUSA is looking a little sketchy, but that could change as well.  Nobody is getting the call up from FCS.  In summary, in terms of money:

P5 >> G5 > FCS

I like watching NMSU play MWC teams and have enjoyed all the MWC games for the most part except for the Nevada game.  That game was just brutal.  I'll continue watching G5 games out west with the occasional Alabama - A&M game.  I do think that a clean break of P5 teams creating their own division is coming sooner rather than later, but who the heck knows anymore.  Maybe they will expand the playoffs and call it a day.  Neither the MWC or AAC have the pull to gut the other conference.  That's a good thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Someone Else said:

You do realize that sports radio isn't a thing anymore, right?

It's for older folks (i'm so old I fart dust I'm not being critical, just pointing that out)

Just to put it in perspective. LOL

5 minutes ago, alum93 said:

It was actually a fun thread.  The MWC was spared in this round.  B12 retained P5 status and AAC was weakened.  CUSA is looking a little sketchy, but that could change as well.  Nobody is getting the call up from FCS.  In summary, in terms of money:

P5 >> G5 > FCS

I like watching NMSU play MWC teams and have enjoyed all the MWC games for the most part except for the Nevada game.  That game was just brutal.  I'll continue watching G5 games out west with the occasional Alabama - A&M game.  I do think that a clean break of P5 teams creating their own division is coming sooner rather than later, but who the heck knows anymore.  Maybe they will expand the playoffs and call it a day.  Neither the MWC or AAC have the pull to gut the other conference.  That's a good thing.  

CFB is/was a reflection of America. If CFB takes away mobility of little programs it’s popularity will fade because a large part of it is based on novelty which will essentially be gone if there is a split. The move to split screams diminishing returns to me so I hope folks are looking further down the road than 10 yr tv deals. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RSF said:

3 sports stations here....actually 4.  One Spanish sports station.

I'm aware of 1280 and Espn 700.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

I'm in Utah and I don't see much when I scan the archives.

Pre and post game on 1360 and a couple of Coaches shows are all I can find.

Reno has an hour long nightly tv sports program that covers all N. Nevada sports.  Naturally the Pack dominates but they cover everything.  They televise a weekly H.S. game.  A lot of their content then goes to their Twitter account.  Murray is part of the team & a lot of his stuff goes to his Twitter.  They just hit their 3rd anniversary so it looks like they're here to stay.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alum93 said:

It was actually a fun thread.  The MWC was spared in this round. 

Realignment definitely isn't done yet as, at minimum, the AAC must pick up at least one to remain an FBS conference or at least two to be eligible for a CCG.

I also don't think the CSU AD and SDSU ADs comments regarding Texas, the AAC needing a couple, and the CUSA realignment proposal are unrelated. The wheels are still very much in motion.

8 minutes ago, Gakusei said:

Realignment definitely isn't done yet as, at minimum, the AAC must pick up at least one to remain an FBS conference or at least two to be eligible for a CCG.

I also don't think the CSU AD and SDSU ADs comments regarding Texas, the AAC needing a couple, and the CUSA realignment proposal are unrelated. The wheels are still very much in motion.

I think realignment is done for now as far as the MWC is concerned.  

28 minutes ago, Gakusei said:

The wheels have stopped turning until the aac makes a move.  They aren’t worried about your first paragraph yet because they’ll be granted a waver should they go that way.

• Troll 1

13 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The wheels have stopped turning until the aac makes a move.  They aren’t worried about your first paragraph yet because they’ll be granted a waver should they go that way.

Again, no one has to wait for the AAC to do anything.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

1 hour ago, Gakusei said:

Agreed, just last week the CSU AD showed no indication that potential MW realignment was done. As a matter of fact he was all in with Texas and he is not alone. It does appear that your school is at the top of the list of potential schools that we are looking at.

11 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

Agreed, just last week the CSU AD showed no indication that potential MW realignment was done. As a matter of fact he was all in with Texas and he is not alone. It does appear that your school is at the top of the list of potential schools that we are looking at.

All we will be doing if we add from TX, is grooming those adds to get them to the point where the AAC, which is a much better geographical fit, wants to expand with them. 

They don't give us anything other than another conference game we don't need.  The programs we are looking at aren't even all that popular in their own town. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

I think realignment is done for now as far as the MWC is concerned.  

My opinion (based on my super secret insider info..lolz) is that you are correct.  The key to these things is TV money, yes?  Why on earth would anyone in the MW want to add teams to the conference.  It lowers each member's respective share of the pie.  I can't understand why the B12 & the aac losing members would somehow create some NEW reason for the MW to add any new teams. the MW didn't lose any members???

The only reason I could see a school like BSU or SDSU to want to add schools from TX would be to lessen the control the front range schools have on the conference... and if I'm a front ranger why would I want to agree to that and get less money too??? 

If the available TX schools would somehow add value to the conference from a tv standpoint those moves would have already happened.  (And no one from the MW is waiting for the aac to do anything...)