Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

15 hours ago, Reverend said:

He said they wouldn't just add teams to get to a certain number and that 14 wouldn't work. That makes sense to me. Colorado State AD said it's in the Big 12 bylaws they can only go up to 14 schools. Not sure why that is or how he knows this. People ask why they didn't just add Memphis of they wanted them and well, they can't. Til OU and Texas leave they are stuck at 14. When they leave they look at expanding again.

Joe Parker is as numbskull. 

15 hours ago, Trojan209 said:

Winning games and drawing well on national tv are two different things. It's great you guys are competitive. But unless you're playing in a bowl game or playing BYU your tv numbers aren't that great for being in such a large city that now doesn't even have a pro team. Unless millions more people were going to subscribe to the P12N adding you guys doesn't make a lot of sense, which the current tv numbers don't really support that, at least for football. 

I think a big reason SDSU doesn't draw good TV numbers is that the offense is highly boring to watch. I'm an alumnus and it damn near puts me to sleep. Other than having a few good running backs there hasn't been any reason to be entertained by the Aztec offense in about 20 years. I trust that's going to change in the near future but only time will tell.

10 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I think a big reason SDSU doesn't draw good TV numbers is that the offense is highly boring to watch. I'm an alumnus and it damn near puts me to sleep. Other than having a few good running backs there hasn't been any reason to be entertained by the Aztec offense in about 20 years. I trust that's going to change in the near future but only time will tell.

From a distance, i get the impressio that Sandy Eggo is an El Lay pro sports town. When i go online to sports talk stations in SD looking for Aztec content, the vast majority of the content is LA Sports.

The  pecking order seems to be:

1. Pads

2. Chargers

3-9 All other LA pro sports.

10. USC

11. UCLA

12. Aztecs

Even the Aztec Radio station has minimal Aztec content.

Do folk in SD just not care ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 hours ago, RSF said:

The Big 12 bylaws are public.  No mention of a 14 school limit (possible I could have missed it).  And since the TV deal expires in 2025 it really doesnt matter much what it says regarding league size.

https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/handbook/bylaws.pdf

YARN | There is a little-known codicil in the Faber College constitution...  | Animal House (1978) | Video clips by quotes | 1b917e9a | 紗

But those bylaws contain a little known codicil that only this guy and Joe Parker have discovered.

10 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

This will shock you(it shocked me too), but we actually have the highest avg in the MW for nationally televised games since 2016 I believe. Sounds crazy, I know. Probably helps that all our bad games our preemptively gobbled up by CBSSN?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This thread is still a thing?

I thought this was put to bed a couple weeks ago!

Rumors & fan speculation are just that... rumors and fan speculation.

I have no 'inside information' from some mythical board member, only a personal opinion.  And not that its worth a hill of bananas, my opinion is that we are done here.  And I just don't mean done as in no more moves but that eventually only 30-40 teams will be allowed into the party (meaning meaningful TV money)... and most of you know exactly who those teams are.  

If you don't, i'll help, it's the SEC & B10 teams plus a few from the ACC and a few from the Pac 12...  I bet you can name those teams, can't you?

The rest of the schools will be fighting for scraps and it won't really matter to the tv folks who gets those scraps because it will be minor league stuff and only used for filler content.  There may be one or two teams that squeak in there from the world of the outcasts but I doubt it. 

So fans here that are arguing who is more worthy of a "promotion" ...in my mind are just fooling themselves.  

btw, I have forgotten what team I root for this week... is it middle tennessee or app st?  doesn't matter, we are all on the outside looking in with our noses on the glass...

cheers... (Oh, my board member connection just confirmed that I was right about all of this!!)

7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

From a distance, i get the impressio that Sandy Eggo us an El Lay pro sports town. When i go online to sports talk stations in SD looking for Aztec content, the vast majority of the content is LA Sports.

The  pecking order seems to be:

1. Pads

2. Chargers

3-9 All other LA pro sports.

10. USC

11. UCLA

12. Aztecs

Even the Aztec Radio station bhad minimal Aztec segments.

Do folk in SD just not care ?

Lol? You must not be in SD. Check 1360am or 97.3FM. Schaeffer on 1360 and Gwynn and Chris on 97.3 are talking Aztecs constantly. When the stations aren't talking Aztecs they're talking Padres. If you think folks are talking LA teams down here you probably haven't been around awhile...just like the LA teams haven't been really good in awhile. 

3 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Lol? You must not be in SD. Check 1360am or 97.3FM. Schaffer on 1360 and Gwynn and Chris on 97.3 are talking Aztecs constantly. 

I'm in Utah and I don't see much when I scan the archives.

Pre and post game on 1360 and a couple of Coaches shows are all I can find.

• Cheers 1

Americans Mayor

1 minute ago, Spaztecs said:

I don't see much when i scan the archives 

Here's Schaeffer's twitter account. He also puts out an Aztec newsletter.

@jonschaeffer

I posted the link but it was too crazy...you can look him up.

Just now, Someone Else said:

You do realize that sports radio isn't a thing anymore, right?

It's for older folks (i'm old so I'm not being critical, just pointing that out)

Actually in SD it still is. The top two shows are both on 97.3FM, the morning and drive home shows. Both talk Aztecs regularly, along with Schaeffer at 1360am. 

• Like 1

Just now, Someone Else said:

You do realize that sports radio isn't a thing anymore, right?

It's for older folks (i'm old so I'm not being critical, just pointing that out)

It's sure big here in SLC. Two FT stations and one PT sports talk.

And yea, I'm an old guy 

Americans Mayor

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

Actually in SD it still is. The top two shows are both on 97.3FM, the morning and drive home shows. Both talk Aztecs regularly, along with Schaeffer at 1360am. 

Well, yes, I mean old people listen to radio... younger people don't... so there will be less and less content on radio as things go forward

21 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

really?  young people in SD listen to sports talk radio?  ok, if you say so... I doubt the radio stats show that but i certainly could be wrong...

Padres being good recently has a lot to do with it. The most popular morning sports talk show here has quite a young audience. Lot's of folks active on social media. Hell, its why you kinda dont see many Aztecs here. Because anyone under like 45 is on twitter now. I would bet as many stream these shows now as listen live. I am the rare under 40 weirdo on message boards and such from this area. Not sure why that is but my guess is the 2016 MV fight ended up getting a lot of SD sports fans on twitter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It's sure big here in SLC. Two FT stations and one PT sports talk.

And yea, I'm an old guy 

I'm sorry you have to endure SLC sports talk, I find it awful. Maybe its better in San Diego. Locally its a lot of baiting fan bases (BYU/Utah) to try and anger listeners and drum up customers.

I agree with @Someone Else local sports talk radio is a dying industry