Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Even a small presence in the inner mountain west was better than being reduced back to an all-California bubble. Dropping football was almost too heavy a price.  Although the legacy kinda lives on here, and through the Las Vegas Bowl and Famous Idaho Potato.

In a way, Trent Johnson is a symbol of how things have changed. He's the interim head coach at CSUN this year.  His first season at Nevada, '99-2000, was the Wolf Pack's last in the Big West.  I wish someone had asked him about coaching in the league back then and what it will be like now.  His answer would say a lot.

I didn't know he was the interim coach there. TJ has kind of had a hard time since leaving Nevada, hard to catch on in places. However when Nevada was in the Big West football wise it was solid at the beginning but when Fullerton and LBSU decided to stop football, then UNLV left and Fresno had already left it was possibly on life support then. They brought in Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe, Northern Illinois and Arkansas St in at two different times. Then I think the writing was on teh wall when Pacific dropped football because of costs. At that point it was on life support and I don't think there was anything that could have saved Big West by that time. I think Fullerton, LBSU and Pacific all dropping football were the big blows to Big West

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

I didn't know he was the interim coach there. TJ has kind of had a hard time since leaving Nevada, hard to catch on in places. However when Nevada was in the Big West football wise it was solid at the beginning but when Fullerton and LBSU decided to stop football, then UNLV left and Fresno had already left it was possibly on life support then. They brought in Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe, Northern Illinois and Arkansas St in at two different times. Then I think the writing was on teh wall when Pacific dropped football because of costs. At that point it was on life support and I don't think there was anything that could have saved Big West by that time. I think Fullerton, LBSU and Pacific all dropping football were the big blows to Big West

And most of those former members are here.

52 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Been saying it for a while now.  But the whole taking in an FCS opened up Montana for me.  So congrats, Bison fans.  Griz get my support because of you.  Hard pass on Fargo.  Try the MAC or the AAC (i hear they take anyone)

So the College Gameday visits won't do it for ya, huh?

42 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:
56 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Been saying it for a while now.  But the whole taking in an FCS opened up Montana for me.  So congrats, Bison fans.  Griz get my support because of you.  Hard pass on Fargo.  Try the MAC or the AAC (i hear they take anyone)

Fear strikes out.  Lol

36 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Even a small presence in the inner mountain west was better than being reduced back to an all-California bubble. Dropping football was almost too heavy a price.  Although the legacy kinda lives on here, and through the Las Vegas Bowl and Famous Idaho Potato.

In a way, Trent Johnson is a symbol of how things have changed. He's the interim head coach at CSUN this year.  His first season at Nevada, '99-2000, was the Wolf Pack's last in the Big West.  I wish someone had asked him about coaching in the league back then and what it will be like now.  His answer would say a lot.

I wouldn’t be opposed to have a Big West football conference. San Diego State, Boise, Utah State, hawaii, SJSU, Fresno, UNLV, Nevada, and UC Davis. SDSU and Boise would probably bounce sooner or later. But for now, that’s a decent conference with a heavy west coast presence. UC Irvine, UCSB.. sometimes Hawaii, SDSU, Utah State, UNLV all provide a basketball punch. I think it would work. If BSU and SDSU do leave, we can try grab Weber State and Montana. 

11 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Once you are here around long enough, you will find out they don't share their "sources". Easier if something goes wrong to have plausible denialiblity.

That’s classic female behavior. 

Boise is a 12 pt underdog to NDSU this week.  You could take that down to 10 if they played in Boise.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It isn't where you want to fly to, it's where members of the MWC want to fly to.  And most probably don't feel like flying to basically Minnesota.  I would be fine with Missoula.  Not Fargo.  NDSU is out of our footprint.  NDSU has a good thing going, just stick to that.

You are from California. Lol.  The airport in Fargo can handle the new bi winged craft made from plywood and your buggy ride to the ball yard is only 5 minutes. Lol. If you can’t afford to fly we do have a train station. The problem with the MWC is having to travel to ca.  Looks like a hell hole from here. Almost as nice as Minneapolis. Lol. Basically.  

Portland St is intriguing to me, still.  
UC Davis is intriguing.  I’d go there to watch a football game from the Bay Area (basketball, not really unless Hawaii is really good).  

I’d like to get into Arizona and Washington.  

Streaming is coming.  I feel like if you’re not at the big boy table already, go and play for the next best thing.  Competitive regional play (with some decent cities to visit like Portland) with the outside chance to make noise on the national stage every so often.  

7 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Long Beach had a few top 15 teams, I think they played in a couple major bowls as well. Pacific was pretty good. They were both better programs than BYU until Edwards came along. 

The border conference had Hardin Simmons who had some rank teams and a major bowl or 2. Missouri valley had some teams 1/2 moved on to major conference or the AAC. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

10 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Portland St is intriguing to me, still.  
UC Davis is intriguing.  I’d go there to watch a football game from the Bay Area (basketball, not really unless Hawaii is really good).  

I’d like to get into Arizona and Washington.  

Streaming is coming.  I feel like if you’re not at the big boy table already, go and play for the next best thing.  Competitive regional play (with some decent cities to visit like Portland) with the outside chance to make noise on the national stage every so often.  

Decent City....Portland....Pick one

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Montana St. Not the history of UM but I think more upside. Bigger town, bigger campus. 

Bigger campus, not a bigger town. Missoula (U of M) population: 74K; Bozeman (Montana State) population: 53K

Bozeman will probably surpass Missoula in about 10 years due to explosive growth, so yes, more upside.

JMHO, but I think all the Dakota/Montana schools are years away from being good adds to a conference like the MWC. There's just not enough total population, even with the recent western growth. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Bigger campus, not a bigger town. Missoula (U of M) population: 74K; Bozeman (Montana State) population: 53K

Bozeman will probably surpass Missoula in about 10 years due to explosive growth, so yes, more upside.

JMHO, but I think all the Dakota/Montana schools are years away from being good adds to a conference like the MWC. There's just not enough total population, even with the recent western growth. 

I was just messing with the UM fan. 😂 I have no clue about either school, although my kids receive a ton of recruiting mail from MSU. They really are trying to grow that university. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I was just messing with the UM fan. 😂 I have no clue about either school, although my kids receive a ton of recruiting mail from MSU. They really are trying to grow that university. 

The school's great and the town is fantastic. Nothing against Missoula, but Bozeman's special.

The AAC fans are buying into the CSU narrative. From the AAC board: With our additions, I doubt a significant loss. Getting the #17 DMA and a National brand is gonna help. We need at least 1 more strong team and unless more MWC are coming, I don’t see it.

FYI, the #17 DMA is Denver! Next thing you know, the AAC fans will be doing their facility upgrade plans in watercolor! :ph34r:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

The AAC fans are buying into the CSU narrative. From the AAC board: With our additions, I doubt a significant loss. Getting the #17 DMA and a National brand is gonna help. We need at least 1 more strong team and unless more MWC are coming, I don’t see it.

FYI, the #17 DMA is Denver! Next thing you know, the AAC fans will be doing their facility upgrade plans in watercolor! :ph34r:

Oh yeah, CSU definitely delivers Denver :hmmm:

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg