Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 hour ago, utgrizfan said:

I don't see the MWC staying at 10 items if it happens, 12 seems to be the magic number Conferences want to stay at, especially if SDSU and Boise might be gone in a few years it gives the MWC some recovery/wiggle room. I'd like to see Texas State and UTSA added as replacements as I doubt we'd get the call.

They are only an hour apart from each other so good travel partners and would give the MWC the Texas footprint many want. Also have more upside then CSU and AF, San Antonio is rated as the 31st Media Market according to DMA as well. 

If they don't add money then any school that wants to add them should subsidize their admission. To be honest, being a SDSU fan, I am not a fan of our current TV contract and I'm sure you know why.

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

According to these guys, The MW has approached Memphis and SMU but they are not interested..

"https://mwwire.com/2021/09/29/podcast-what-does-the-future-of-the-mountain-west-look-like/amp/?__twitter_impression=true"

This was a good listen.  Thanks for posting the link.

4 hours ago, Runandshoot said:

The way I see it, if AFA and CSU do leave. Boise and SDSU are probably gone soon. The most logical thing would to destroy the conference, Thompson let it die. 

West coast schools should form their own conference, or join the Big West. 

Football Conference will have Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno, Nevada, UNLV, UC Davis and will probably add a few west coast/mountain teams somehow. Utah State can join if they decide to do so. 

and since the WAC has football again in the FCS, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ask their members to move up to FBS and then absorb the MWC remnants and have WAC football in the FBS again.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Cowboy said:

The AAC isn't reaching out to anyone.

They are only dealing with teams that reach out to them. (the pool of those teams is big enough that they don't have to recruit)

Everyone they're talking to called them.

This has already been debunked several times even by schools themselves. Get a grip

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

No I was honestly asking your definition because everyone has their own different one on that. Like to no movement at all, some movement etc that is why I was asking

A little movement is fine, but as long as it remains intact, it's stable.  That is my definition.

11 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I think that is accurate.

In fact, I know of nothing to prevent SDSU having a law school. Law schools don't award Doctor of Philosophy degrees but rather Juris Doctorates. Those are 3-year full-time programs and are sometimes awarded after five years of higher education with the student also earning just the equivalent of an associate of arts degree rather than a BA.

Not mentioned by a poster above is that San Diego doesn't just have a law school at private USD, it also has an ABA accredited law school at private Cal Western. I'm friends with a former professor there who told me that school has had financial problems for many years and it's located in a sketchy part of downtown. Maybe it would be irrelevant to SDSU gaining P12 admission but it's my opinion SDSU should buy it if possible and move that school to the expanded campus in Mission Valley.

There are no good law schools in SD.  Anyone who tries to say USD is good is a moron.  But the world needs less lawyers.  Build up our STEM, business, and economics.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What's laughable, is a NDSU fan thinking the MWC would ever invite them. 

Geography matters. 

Been saying it for a while now.  But the whole taking in an FCS opened up Montana for me.  So congrats, Bison fans.  Griz get my support because of you.  Hard pass on Fargo.  Try the MAC or the AAC (i hear they take anyone)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

What works in Big West favor is no longer having football

What doesn't work is no longer having much of a presence outside California.  Dropping football weakened basketball.  It stabilized, but paid a heavy price.

5 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Been saying it for a while now.  But the whole taking in an FCS opened up Montana for me.  So congrats, Bison fans.  Griz get my support because of you.  Hard pass on Fargo.  Try the MAC or the AAC (i hear they take anyone)

Montana St. Not the history of UM but I think more upside. Bigger town, bigger campus. 

• Like 2

Just now, jdgaucho said:

What doesn't work is no longer having much of a presence outside California.  Dropping football weakened basketball.  It stabilized, but paid a heavy price.

I mean except for baseball, Big West hasn't had a huge presence for you could say decades. Baseball is what makes people keep remembering that the Big West is there, but that has been kind of slipping or something lately

26 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I mean except for baseball, Big West hasn't had a huge presence for you could say decades. Baseball is what makes people keep remembering that the Big West is there, but that has been kind of slipping or something lately

Even a small presence in the inner mountain west was better than being reduced back to an all-California bubble. Dropping football was almost too heavy a price.  Although the legacy kinda lives on here, and through the Las Vegas Bowl and Famous Idaho Potato.

In a way, Trent Johnson is a symbol of how things have changed. He's the interim head coach at CSUN this year.  His first season at Nevada, '99-2000, was the Wolf Pack's last in the Big West.  I wish someone had asked him about coaching in the league back then and what it will be like now.  His answer would say a lot.

• Like 1