Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

At this moment in time, I think Big 12 is still on shaky ground. If let's say an unhappy Kansas ends up leaving the conference that very well could start a domino affect where maybe Big 12 is destroyed? If ACC came at West Virginia with an offer to join I think W. Virginia would take it because that is the conference they want to get into. But it is speculation but Kansas is not happy at the moment so we will see. 

Hogwash.  We’ve heard this all before.  They would just have their pick of the G5 litter.  Why folks continue with this refrain despite what history has shown us is beyond me.

v0icAvfW.jpg

10 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Hogwash.  We’ve heard this all before.  They would just have their pick of the G5 litter.  Why folks continue with this refrain despite what history has shown us is beyond me.

If enough of the higher end B12 schools bounce, it will turn into the #1 G5 conference and the tv revenue distribution will be reduced accordingly. BSU or Memphis are not going to fill the gap for losing OSU, Kansas, West Virginia, etc. If the dominoes really start falling and they have to add even more schools once you get past SDSU there are almost no other schools to add that have significant media value. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sputnik46 said:

So has Thompson said anything about the potential CSU and AFA move and the MWC reaction if it happens?

With him, the more he keeps his mouth shut in public, the better.  

At most from any commissioner you would just get the typical PR.  We are aware of discussions but we don't have any comments at this time type of answer. 

Anyone who is a professional isn't going to comment on rumors yet.  

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

It's not your program or your fan base, or fear of your success.

It's your Location

If, as the prognosticators, sages, seers, and informed insiders  on this Board are accurate, Boise/SDSU/AFA/CSU are history. The MW will be reeling with only 8 teams. TV revenue will bottom out to current Sun Belt levels. NMSU and UTEP are obvious adds. That brings the depleted MW to ten. That's the minimum necessary to play a CCG.

NDSU might be considered with another western football school that makes the grade. Another FCS squad most likely. To bring it up to twelve.

I and many others just don't see it happening. Your closest Conference rival is 850 miles away in Laramie. Over 1,000 miles to Logan. Do you really want to travel In a gutted, small revenue Conference ?

How about a roadie to Hawaii every four years. Or,  Las Cruces, 1,800 miles away. (You will be in their Division).

We wish you well in finding a Conference.  As well as in your FB future.

Most just don't see you in any configuration of this Conference in it's current status or future depleted status. You would be bored with the MAC in 5-10 years as you will probably dominate there as well. Same with the WAC 3.0.

Unless you're willing to pay travel subs to join C-USA, you're stuck with being the Big fish in a small and far away pond.

Addressing the MW point of view:
You're seeing how it is now. Not what it could likely be.

If Air Force, CSU, SDSU, and Boise are gone, Wyoming, Utah State, and NMSU are all basically on their own island. 

The proposed Texas backfill has practically the same distance away (except UTEP) as NDSU. 

There's not going to be that big of a difference to Fresno if they'd be going to UTSA or NDSU in flight miles.

The only difference would be that NDSU would have a packed house and fans that watch the game. 

Addressing the NDSU point of view:

They fly quite a lot already. They just flew to Maryland. They'll fly to Ohio and Illinois this year too. They already fly in an even lower revenue conference with fans that care a lot less than a gutted MWC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

With him, the more he keeps his mouth shut in public, the better.  

At most from any commissioner you would just get the typical PR.  We are aware of discussions but we don't have any comments at this time type of answer. 

Anyone who is a professional isn't going to comment on rumors yet.  

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this behemoth of a thread but I'm too lazy to look for it. Do we know if our leadership has reached out to SMU or Tulsa or anyone from the AAC?

1 minute ago, tenbobnote said:

If Air Force, CSU, SDSU, and Boise are gone, Wyoming, Utah State, and NMSU are all basically on their own island. 

The proposed Texas backfill has practically the same distance away (except UTEP) as NDSU. 

There's not going to be that big of a difference to Fresno if they'd be going to UTSA or NDSU in flight miles.

The only difference would be that NDSU would have a packed house and fans that watch the game. 

They fly quite a lot already. They just flew to Maryland. They'll fly to Ohio and Illinois this year too. They already fly in an even lower revenue conference with fans that care a lot less than a gutted MWC.

This is the deal those 4 you mentioned are gone sooner than later. So the MWC needs to make plans now on what they want the conference to be.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

44 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

It isn't where you want to fly to, it's where members of the MWC want to fly to.  And most probably don't feel like flying to basically Minnesota.  I would be fine with Missoula.  Not Fargo.  NDSU is out of our footprint.  NDSU has a good thing going, just stick to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

If enough of the higher end B12 schools bounce, it will turn into the #1 G5 conference and the tv revenue distribution will be reduced accordingly. BSU or Memphis are not going to fill the gap for losing OSU, Kansas, West Virginia, etc. If the dominoes really start falling and they have to add even more schools once you get past SDSU there ares almost no other schools to add that have significant media value. 

They’d have to lose 5+ schools at this point….  Highly improbable.  Good luck!

v0icAvfW.jpg

35 minutes ago, BlueCheer said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this behemoth of a thread but I'm too lazy to look for it. Do we know if our leadership has reached out to SMU or Tulsa or anyone from the AAC?

I have no idea.  I don't have any insider knowledge and I haven't saw anything in the news about it.  

9 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

So here’s a fun tidbit.  According to the article linked above the Air Force Academy Foundation is “vehemently against” AFA moving to the AAC.

And according to the link below that very same Foundation is overseeing the private fundraising effort for the $70 million Falcon Stadium renovation project announced two weeks ago:

https://goairforcefalcons.com/news/2021/9/13/football-proposed-modernization-coming-to-falcon-stadium.aspx

I imagine there are going to be some very interesting conversations in Colorado Springs this week.

Shocked that their AD/Pres would get this far along in talks with AAC w/o having their main donours in line.  Stupidity

• Like 1

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

MWC talked to FOX and CBS about adding schools but no school including SMU raised the media value so they are gonna stay at 10 football schools for now.

This is what I think the MWC needs to be doing.  Getting rid of AFA is going to help the basketball perception of the MWC quite a bit and if the MWC adds Gonzaga...

• Like 1