Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

20 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Kansas to the Big East for basketball ?

interested kevin nash GIF

The Jayhawks are in the #1 rated basketball conference even after the new teams are added (per kenpom).

Unless they want to move to the #4 rated kenpom conference, I doubt they'd go to the Big East. Kansas's basketball needs are met. 

3mxsBs3.jpg

6 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

That's why I said mostly.  They also have a long history with a lot of the Big East schools.  They are located in the NE where basketball is king for the most part and they never were part of a power conference unless you count the Old Big East in the BCS days.  

I'm sure KU would rather stay with peer institutions like they are currently.  They will still make more money in the new Big 12 with football and basketball than they would going to the Big East 

Oddly enough they would be a good fit. The BE currently has 11 members. Kansas and Creighton would become travel partners. Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, and Butler would round out the Western half.

TV revenue would easily triple in basketball. They would seriously challenge the ACC for basketball dominance.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

5 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't like to see 100 year old rivalry games ended.  Could go OOC but it is better as a conference game. 

I would suck though if those two leave and Boise and SDSU leave.  Limited options to backfill that interest me.

Suddenly, The NewMags, and UTEP start looking good. You know the 'Last Call Syndrome'.

Or New Mexico bolts for C-USA.

Americans Mayor

5 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Don't understand the anti-NDSU and by extention SDSU hate in here. Both would be great additions to the MWC, and both could probably beat a good portion of the current teams.

They could certainly beat the pants off of CSU.

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, SpaceForced said:

There are few details on this.  There is some local push back from supporters who oppose this move.  I have no insider information other than reports such as this:  https://gazette.com/sports/source-air-force-facing-pushback-from-financial-supporters-as-conference-move-gains-momentum/article_91a21fcc-20d1-11ec-8362-d7c79bd757b2.html

So here’s a fun tidbit.  According to the article linked above the Air Force Academy Foundation is “vehemently against” AFA moving to the AAC.

And according to the link below that very same Foundation is overseeing the private fundraising effort for the $70 million Falcon Stadium renovation project announced two weeks ago:

https://goairforcefalcons.com/news/2021/9/13/football-proposed-modernization-coming-to-falcon-stadium.aspx

I imagine there are going to be some very interesting conversations in Colorado Springs this week.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

So here’s a fun tidbit.  According to the article linked above the Air Force Academy Foundation is “vehemently against” AFA moving to the AAC.

And according to the link below that very same Foundation is overseeing the private fundraising effort for the $70 million Falcon Stadium renovation project announced two weeks ago:

https://goairforcefalcons.com/news/2021/9/13/football-proposed-modernization-coming-to-falcon-stadium.aspx

I imagine there are going to be some very interesting conversations in Colorado Springs this week.

Been seeing things about this too, could very well derail the whole entire MWC expansion idea for the AAC last thing a University wants to do is piss off their donors. With how the military loves tradition it makes sense why there's so much pushback, traditional rivals vs playing games in Carolina and  Florida. If AF doesn't leave then CSU won't either.

Can I get an explanation why? Don't see the harm of adding schools who have facilities who are on par with MWC schools, are very dedicated to football, would have some of the best fan support and actually bring some national recognition in NDSU

It's not your program or your fan base, or fear of your success.

It's your Location

If, as the prognosticators, sages, seers, and informed insiders  on this Board are accurate, Boise/SDSU/AFA/CSU are history. The MW will be reeling with only 8 teams. TV revenue will bottom out to current Sun Belt levels. NMSU and UTEP are obvious adds. That brings the depleted MW to ten. That's the minimum necessary to play a CCG.

NDSU might be considered with another western football school that makes the grade. Another FCS squad most likely. To bring it up to twelve.

I and many others just don't see it happening. Your closest Conference rival is 850 miles away in Laramie. Over 1,000 miles to Logan. Do you really want to travel In a gutted, small revenue Conference ?

How about a roadie to Hawaii every four years. Or,  Las Cruces, 1,800 miles away. (You will be in their Division).

We wish you well in finding a Conference.  As well as in your FB future.

Most just don't see you in any configuration of this Conference in it's current status or future depleted status. You would be bored with the MAC in 5-10 years as you will probably dominate there as well. Same with the WAC 3.0.

Unless you're willing to pay travel subs to join C-USA, you're stuck with being the Big fish in a small and far away pond.

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, since1670 said:

CSU could have much stronger athletic programs in the AAC. Colorado and Texas are almost neighbors. CSU would be playing at least one Texas school ever year. They can use that to recruit Texas athletes. When Navy played Houston last Saturday, 22 of their players were from Texas.

Consider what the AAC has done for Memphis. Memphis football was terrible before joining the AAC. What the AAC has done for Memphis, it can do for CSU. There is no way Memphis would have played in a NY6 game if it had not joined the AAC

CSU will get much greater exposure in the AAC. It can become more of a national brand. That would help both academics and athletics. CSU's president will recognize this.

CSU has been in a conference with many of the same Texas schools before.  It didn't seem like it helped them before....

CSU definitely has solid potential as an add, they just need to start winning....is the AAC more conducive to that?  Who knows?  I think it's risky personally but don't fault them for trying.

Going for technicalities now? Bold move cotton 😂. No one nationally cared about the Cougars until Herman made them stand out recently. 

Bill Yeoman and the Houston Veer offense caught a lot of eyeballs in the 70's.

Americans Mayor

6 hours ago, Someone Else said:

So haven't checked in on this thread in several hours... has anything official been announced or are we still in the speculation faze?  

I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who is really in the know and they said... (i'll tell you shortly)

Nope nothing official just more speculation

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

I ran across this article today. It is part UCF fan blog conspiracy theory and half conjecture. But, it would not surprise me one bit.

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2021/9/9/22664634/the-alliance-is-really-about-killing-off-the-big-12

The post feeding frenzy Big 12.

Assuming WVU to ACC, Kansas to B1G or Big East, Houston and TCU to Pac.

East:  Iowa st, UCF,  Memphis, Cinci, K state, okie st, maybe Kansas stays

West: Baylor, TT, BYU, Boise, SUDS ? and ???

Aztecs will need a travel partner. Fresno ?  Nevada ?

One heck of a B-ball Conference if Kansas stays.

At this moment in time, I think Big 12 is still on shaky ground. If let's say an unhappy Kansas ends up leaving the conference that very well could start a domino affect where maybe Big 12 is destroyed? If ACC came at West Virginia with an offer to join I think W. Virginia would take it because that is the conference they want to get into. But it is speculation but Kansas is not happy at the moment so we will see. 

I watch some of John Kurtz podcasts on YouTube and sometimes they are interesting watches. 

However it wouldn't make much sense to bring UConn back into the mix. If that part is true, I mean that could change the whole look of the deal.

Also when this all started AAC said the were looking at SDSU, Boise, CSU and AFA as football only membership. We all know that could have changed since then.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

At this moment in time, I think Big 12 is still on shaky ground. If let's say an unhappy Kansas ends up leaving the conference that very well could start a domino affect where maybe Big 12 is destroyed? If ACC came at West Virginia with an offer to join I think W. Virginia would take it because that is the conference they want to get into. But it is speculation but Kansas is not happy at the moment so we will see. 

Of course any B12 team, would jump into any one of the other P4 conferences--but many of them don't have other options.  Schools like Kansas State and Iowa State would be G5 schools if they didn't have P5 money.

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

Of course any B12 team, would jump into any one of the other P4 conferences--but many of them don't have other options.  Schools like Kansas State and Iowa State would be G5 schools if they didn't have P5 money.

Kansas St I think would be the hurt the most

50 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Bill Yeoman and the Houston Veer offense caught a lot of eyeballs in the 70's.

Yup---after the veer----there was the whole Run-and-Shoot era with Ware....and then the Briles offense era with Kevin Kolb having some very good years...and then the Air Raid period with Case.....then Herman did his thing.  We've had our moments.  

6 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

I ran across this article today. It is part UCF fan blog conspiracy theory and half conjecture. But, it would not surprise me one bit.

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2021/9/9/22664634/the-alliance-is-really-about-killing-off-the-big-12

The post feeding frenzy Big 12.

Assuming WVU to ACC, Kansas to B1G or Big East, Houston and TCU to Pac.

East:  Iowa st, UCF,  Memphis, Cinci, K state, okie st, maybe Kansas stays

West: Baylor, TT, BYU, Boise, SUDS ? and ???

Aztecs will need a travel partner. Fresno ?  Nevada ?

One heck of a B-ball Conference if Kansas stays.

Good article. Ha ha it mentioned Nebraska playing a one game schedule. The B8 was extremely weak in those days and Nebraska played 8 home games with 3 non conference cupcakes. The SEC ground it self into the ground. 

the SEC is the small guy ally in all of this then. Opposing the playoff expansion is BS from the other 3 power conferences. It’s ridiculous that the G5’s have absolutely no power to make any changes.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Been seeing things about this too, could very well derail the whole entire MWC expansion idea for the AAC last thing a University wants to do is piss off their donors. With how the military loves tradition it makes sense why there's so much pushback, traditional rivals vs playing games in Carolina and  Florida. If AF doesn't leave then CSU won't either.

Could only be some donors.  I’m sure there are some for the move.  If the donors only give 50k, the school will get more than that just from what they’ll get from the AAC.  In fact CSU and AF will be getting more than what Boise makes in the MW and then some.

• Haha 1