Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

43 minutes ago, ToTheMountains said:

What’s the scoop on Memphis? I haven’t heard much about them with everything going on and then again maybe I just forgot with all of the different threads and realignment stuff on here.

Memphis is a city located in the State of Tennessee, which is located neither in the mountains or the west.  Thus, they don't qualify to join us! ;-) That's the scoop on Memphis. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

At 4 schools it will be a shitty experience, at 6 maybe not as bad but then you're in a 20 team conference that spans all of the US and each division spanning half the country. It will be the greatest own goal of all time. 

What I read bandied about was that if they took 7, the B1G would have three 7 team divisions (Atlantic, Great Lakes, Pacific).  Conference schedule of 6 division games plus 3 out of division.  Two game playoff of division winners and one wild card.  Championship rotating between Indy and the Rose Bowl.  It was just pure speculation, but from my perspective, that doesn't sound like much of a self-own to me.

5 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

What I read bandied about was that if they took 7, the B1G would have three 7 team divisions (Atlantic, Great Lakes, Pacific).  Conference schedule of 6 division games plus 3 out of division.  Two game playoff of division winners and one wild card.  Championship rotating between Indy and the Rose Bowl.  It was just pure speculation, but from my perspective, that doesn't sound like much of a self-own to me.

Yes, please let this happen. Nonsense divisions and conference mates you only play once a decade. I'm sure west coast programs that already have less engagement will totally not suffer for it. Can't wait.

6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

PAC is losing most of the top regional talent to the SEC. Joining up with the BIG won't change that, having more dominant programs out west is the only solution.

And how do you build up USC, UCLA, Stanford, Colorado and UW back into national brands?  By continuing to do what hasn't been working for almost twenty years?  Or by gaining access to the nation's most profitable conference, most widely watched conference network and becoming relevant to a high population part of the country that still cares about college football?  The 21 team B1G would have 5 legitimate bluebloods and another six or seven programs that have had high points where they've competed for national titles in recent decades.  To that, you can add 20 AAU schools with combined endowments and annual research funding that would make that of the SEC look like couch cushion change in comparison.  PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE!  Investors?  Possibly you!

Or they could just keep doing what's put them in their current predicament.  Maybe it'll work next year.

2 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

And how do you build up USC, UCLA, Stanford, Colorado and UW back into national brands?  By continuing to do what hasn't been working for almost twenty years?  Or by gaining access to the nation's most profitable conference, most widely watched conference network and becoming relevant to a high population part of the country that still cares about college football?  The 21 team B1G would have 5 legitimate bluebloods and another six or seven programs that have had high points where they've competed for national titles in recent decades.  To that, you can add 20 AAU schools with combined endowments and annual research funding that would make that of the SEC look like couch cushion change in comparison.  PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE!  Investors?  Possibly you!

Or they could just keep doing what's put them in their current predicament.  Maybe it'll work next year.

Joining the B1G will affirm what it seems a lot of west coast kids already believe. Real football is played in the heartland, Texas and Ohio. Maybe tOCU, Mich, PennSt and MichSt, will get all the recruits in the future instead of Bama, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. Progress! Like I said, I hope the best programs in the PAC do this to themselves. 

1 hour ago, uteAggie said:

Memphis is a city located in the State of Tennessee, which is located neither in the mountains or the west.  Thus, they don't qualify to join us! ;-) That's the scoop on Memphis. 

Memphis is probably going to the Big 12 with Boise in a few years. It has been reported.  This is after Colorado State and Air Force leave.  After this all falls in place it may be a fight for survival

Aac is going to have to replace 4 teams and then Conference usa is going to gave to replace teams they lose. Could be the G4

• Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Memphis is probably going to the Big 12 with Boise in a few years. It has been reported.  This is after Colorado State and Air Force leave.  After this all falls in place it may be a fight for survival

That would mean 9 football schools left..Or, in other words, the perfect number for an 8 game, round robin conference schedule.  

The conference could add a non football school or two (and there are plenty of them to choose from) to help the scheduling in the oly sports..

NDSU is not the key to anything, let alone the survival of the MW..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

It's true that most of the very wealthy people in Hawaii are transplants.  The richest I'm aware of are multibillionaires Larry Ellison (Oracle) and Peter Omidyar (eBay).  Ellison bought almost the entire island of Lanai.  Unfortunately neither is interested in becoming the Phil Knight of UH.  If they were we'd look a lot more like Oregon and be a lot more visible on the Pac-12 radar screen.

But in absolute numbers there aren't a huge number of transplants in Hawaii.  Excluding the U.S. military presence about 44% of the population were born elsewhere, which is on par with states like Georgia, North Carolina and California.

The fans who used to fill 50K seats in Aloha Stadium are mainly locals, and they still love their football.  But like most Americans they also love a winner.  If UH can get back to the top of its game, beating P5 opponents and dominating the conference and climbing in the top 25 rankings, they'll get excited and fill up our future new stadium.  I think that's what has to happen for UH to be in the conversation assuming the Pac-12 needs to backfill or decides bigger is better.

Kris Kristofferson isn't a billionaire but he's a transplant who, according to a website I found, is worth about $160 million which ain't bad. He lives in Maui.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

No waiver needed or required.  Dont need a conference to move up.  UTSA started out as an independent.  All the other recent moves just happened to have a place to go when they moved up.

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2017/02/16/ncaa-approves-libertys-waiver-request-for-fbs-reclassification-process/

This article clearly mentions that Liberty did get a waiver to move up without a conference. IIRC, around the time UTSA moved up the NCAA changed their policy and would no longer allow schools to move up without an invite to a FBS conference. Not sure what good the rule does though if all you have to do to get around it is to ask for an exception.

1 hour ago, RebelAlliance said:

I think NIL could/SHOULD be a boon to the Pac.  All the major media and tech giants, not to mention talent agencies and Fortune 500 companies too numerous to mention are within the conference footprint. If Pac schools can't figure out how to sweeten a scholarship with access to marketing and management for its star athletes, they deserve to fail.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

45 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

That would mean 9 football schools left..Or, in other words, the perfect number for an 8 game, round robin conference schedule.  

The conference could add a non football school or two (and there are plenty of them to choose from) to help the scheduling in the oly sports..

NDSU is not the key to anything, let alone the survival of the MW..

When 2 other teams are like, there are no good teams left and the TV contract shrinks because all the good teams are gone,  then you're down to 6.  Then you'll be begging New Mexico State or the Montana schools to move up. So the Montana schools may be key to your survival . Maybe Idaho State

But at that point it may not be appealing to them

16 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2017/02/16/ncaa-approves-libertys-waiver-request-for-fbs-reclassification-process/

This article clearly mentions that Liberty did get a waiver to move up without a conference. IIRC, around the time UTSA moved up the NCAA changed their policy and would no longer allow schools to move up without an invite to a FBS conference. Not sure what good the rule does though if all you have to do to get around it is to ask for an exception.

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the correction.

• Cheers 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, Herdbot said:

When 2 other teams are like, there are no good teams left and the TV contract shrinks because all the good teams are gone,  then you're down to 6.  Then you'll be begging New Mexico State or the Montana schools to move up. So the Montana schools may be key to your survival . Maybe Idaho State

But at that point it may not be appealing to them

I do suspect you are another Cowboy sock.  You really don't understand the history of the schools in the MW.  If it helps you to insult schools you know next to nothing about, have at it.  But the bottom line is these things have a way of sorting themselves out.

Could NDSU become a member someday?  Sure.

Are they the key to the MW surviving?  Not even..

You guys come over here and say you would dominate football and be the next Boise State.  It took 20 years of 1-AA and low level Big West play for Boise State to be the next Boise State.

It is a rare story to do what they do.

To give you an example..Idaho made the same journey as Boise..Big Sky, Big West and WAC.  The actually won a D-1A Big West championship before Boise did.  But BW football died and the WAC pretty much did Idaho in.

They didn't get a MW invitation and scuffled around with the Sun Belt and independence before returning to the Big Sky.

The biggest problem Idaho has is location.  Moscow is small, cold weather town that is far away from most schools in the west,

Fargo is small, cold weather town far, far away..No connection to any current MW school at all.

While you guys love to proclaim that you are the next Boise State.  It is far more likely you are the next Idaho.

You will get your chance eventually. But you aren't the key add by any means..

• Like 2