Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

10 minutes ago, celticmoose said:

Montana State fan here, just perusing to see what everyone thinks.

Please take NDSU if only so I don't have to interact with their fans online anymore.  They are more obnoxious than Griz fans and that is saying a lot coming from a Bobcat fan.

Haha we have our share of them around here too. After a few mediocre years in FBS they'd probably go back to trolling FCS boards again, kind of like the BYU fans. 

• Cheers 1

Another day, another bunch of random off the wall informants with " inside scoop".  It's pretty entertaining actually.  The hope must be if you keep predicting different things on a daily basis then maybe something you've predicted at some point in time will come true and you can say ' Look, I was right!"  (Mostly referring to twitter and media scribes)

19 hours ago, Herdbot said:

I'll end the discussion with this. People say the same thing about Boise as NDSU... it's in the middle of no where, not a huge media market, blah blah blah

Ironically Boise is the best team with the best TV ratings. That's because they are the entire state of Idaho. Same with NDSU. It's the entire state of North Dakota and arguably more fans in Minnesota. That's why they play a football game in Minneapolis and 38,000 people show up vs a no name team. That's why they are playing a game in the Minnesota Vikings stadium in 3 years. That's why the radio network goes from Montana to Minneapolis.

If the Mountain West starts choosing teams based on media markets and not quality teams, they will end up like Conference USA who has no TV deal and nobody cares.

Texas El Paso is in a huge media market but nobody watches them. Nobody cares about them. They play in a 50k seat stadium and draw 14K a games. 

False.  Nice try Fredo. 

I also note that it has been conclusively proven that CSU dominates the Minnesota market, so wrong x2.  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, celticmoose said:

Montana State fan here, just perusing to see what everyone thinks.

Please take NDSU if only so I don't have to interact with their fans online anymore.  They are more obnoxious than Griz fans and that is saying a lot coming from a Bobcat fan.

Cmon. It's not the fans who are annoying, it's the on field results. We hear it all week "you've never seen speed like us."  Then the games happen.

2019 - semi final

NDSU 42 Montana State 14

2018 - 2nd round playoffs. 

NDSU 52 Montana State 10

2010 2nd round playoffs in Bozeman

NDSU 42 Montana State 17

Nice efforts here.....a real can-do spirit on display.  But lest I need to remind anyone, the PAC has accepted the protection of the B1G, so they're not going to do God damned thing unless the B1G gives its blessing.  The alternative is that the B1G goes nationwide, poaches their best schools and forms Prestige Worldwide to prepare for the looming clash of civilizations with the SEC.

48 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You gotta get your foot in the door somehow. Liberty has played in some bowl games. They will find a Conference before 2024.

Liberty is the only exception of team being allowed to move up without a conference. It was a 1 time waiver. I don't think we need to get our foot in the door, we're much more proven than most of the teams who moved up. We just need to wait for a good situation. I guarantee the Group of 5 will be the group of 3 or 4 if they don't plan accordingly 

1 minute ago, Herdbot said:

Liberty is the only exception of team being allowed to move up without a conference. It was a 1 time waiver. I don't think we need to get our foot in the door, we're much more proven than most of the teams who moved up. We just need to wait for a good situation. I guarantee the Group of 5 will be the group of 3 or 4 if they don't plan accordingly 

No waiver needed or required.  Dont need a conference to move up.  UTSA started out as an independent.  All the other recent moves just happened to have a place to go when they moved up.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

20 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Hey, if the NewMags can hang in for 60+ years with horrible football, you can get your foot in the door.

With all the cash flow you have spoken of, budgets, fan base and sponsors, I would think the NCAA can make a second exception. 

You're in far better shape than ~40 of the G5 bottom feeders.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

40 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Cmon. It's not the fans who are annoying, it's the on field results. We hear it all week "you've never seen speed like us."  Then the games happen.

2019 - semi final

NDSU 42 Montana State 14

2018 - 2nd round playoffs. 

NDSU 52 Montana State 10

2010 2nd round playoffs in Bozeman

NDSU 42 Montana State 17

Wyoming 16 NDSU 13.

That Wyoming team was 4-8, and pretty +++++ing terrible. Look at these scores.

https://gowyo.com/sports/football/schedule/2008

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Wyoming 16 NDSU 13.

That Wyoming team was 4-8, and pretty +++++ing terrible. Look at these scores.

https://gowyo.com/sports/football/schedule/2008

NDSU had a 6-5 team in their fourth year in D1 so there’s that. I think NDSU was riddled with injuries also that season. 

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

isn't Honolulu compromised of transplants from the U.S. and Asia that don't have ties to the university? Granted a lot of those are wealthy transplants with some discretionary income to burn, and some of those would fund/attend/watch Hawaii athletics, but when you filter out the population that doesn't care about college football, I think that hinders PAC12 expansion to paradise

It's true that most of the very wealthy people in Hawaii are transplants.  The richest I'm aware of are multibillionaires Larry Ellison (Oracle) and Peter Omidyar (eBay).  Ellison bought almost the entire island of Lanai.  Unfortunately neither is interested in becoming the Phil Knight of UH.  If they were we'd look a lot more like Oregon and be a lot more visible on the Pac-12 radar screen.

But in absolute numbers there aren't a huge number of transplants in Hawaii.  Excluding the U.S. military presence about 44% of the population were born elsewhere, which is on par with states like Georgia, North Carolina and California.

The fans who used to fill 50K seats in Aloha Stadium are mainly locals, and they still love their football.  But like most Americans they also love a winner.  If UH can get back to the top of its game, beating P5 opponents and dominating the conference and climbing in the top 25 rankings, they'll get excited and fill up our future new stadium.  I think that's what has to happen for UH to be in the conversation assuming the Pac-12 needs to backfill or decides bigger is better.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I really hope the top 4 PAC programs ruin themselves and their programs by joining a conference about 2000 miles from the west coast. Do it, do it, do it!!

But would they?  Assuming the B1G took 5, 6 or 7 (Colorado), the PAC schools would still have a full schedule of games with regional pod/division rivals.  They'd just be jettisoning games with the NW "states," Utah and the AZ schools.  They'd be adding intersectional games with a couple of B1G schools (all of whom have large alumni bases in LA, SF, Portland and Seattle) while tapping into the most successful conference network and becoming relevant to a part of the country that actually still cares about college football.  All this would be accomplished without selling their academic soul to the SEC.  It's no longer about either regional affiliations or even local markets.  It's about national branding.

7 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

But would they?  Assuming the B1G took 5, 6 or 7 (Colorado), the PAC schools would still have a full schedule of games with regional pod/division rivals.  They'd just be jettisoning games with the NW "states," Utah and the AZ schools.  They'd be adding intersectional games with a couple of B1G schools (all of whom have large alumni bases in LA, SF, Portland and Seattle) while tapping into the most successful conference network and becoming relevant to a part of the country that actually still cares about college football.  All this would be accomplished without selling their academic soul to the SEC.  It's no longer about either regional affiliations or even local markets.  It's about national branding.

At 4 schools it will be a shitty experience, at 6 maybe not as bad but then you're in a 20 team conference that spans all of the US and each division spanning half the country. It will be the greatest own goal of all time.