Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

I think realignment will basically "recreate" the FCS...and it will be even deeper, with all the teams that essentially "move down" as the true power programs circle the wagons and create even further separation from all of the have-nots.

Personally, as a fan I'm kind of looking forward to the day when the bulk of college football returns to amateur status! And the rest turns into NFL Jr.

If they go back to the way they did it in the 60s and 70s and just have big conferences vs small conferences,  that might be appealing too if they do a playoff. Back then it was the NCAA College Division and NCAA University division. 

Our National Championship teams in the 60s were in the College Division that included teams that are now the entire Mac conference and many G5 schools including San Diego State, Fresno, Hawaii, Marshall, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky,  Arkansas State,  

It also had power houses like Parsons College, Northeastern, Susquehana, Ursinus Thiel, and Carnegie Melon lol

I couldn't imagine a scenario where G5 schools want to compete in the same division as FCS, D2 and D3. Most FCS schools would vomit at thought of D2 and D3 teams as well 

12 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well a few years ago, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma st and I think Texas Tech were all within an hour of going to the Pac-12 at the time and word is Oklahoma St is still on Pac-12 radar when they expand. Just like Kansas and Big 10 appear to be feeling each other out as well. And West Virginia ran to the Big 12 but there have been second thoughts there for a bit

I think Big10 is kicking themselves at the Rutgers move.

No, they're not. The B1G Network is now in the NY Metro Market.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Maybe NDSU should go Indy, play an NMSU type schedule, a couple of body bag paydays, playing the same teams twice, filling out your schedule with the other G5 Indies. Whatever it takes.

See how you hold up. If you show a pulse, like Liberty, a Conference will come calling.

I wish your program well. They remind me of San Diego State in the 60's and 70's.  Albeit we went Indy in the early 70's leaving the PCAA behind, we still played the PCAA teams and 3-4 WAC teams until we got into the WAC.

If you cant compete for Bowl Games or Conference Championships, it wouldn't be enjoyable at all. What's your goal being an independent? It's not like we're BYU or Notre Dame with a big TV deal

9 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the PAC-12 loses members, who are the most likely adds? Hawaii, SDSU, Colorado State, and New Mexico?

Seems to be a popular discussion right now but since most people talking about it are on the east coast or in Texas, I would guess your choices are probably better than theirs.

New Mexico is lucky they aren't FCS or even division 2 at the point.

NDSU is your answer if you want a competitive team and a school/fanbase that is all in on football. It’s pretty much our only show in the state so everyone cares quite a bit! We bring 15,000-20,000 fans to Texas every time we make the championship game. We have nothing left to prove at the FCS so a lot of people are ready for the move up. Would be fun to have some new places to travel to! The Fargodome is right next to the airport so travel will be easy for opposing teams. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the PAC-12 loses members, who are the most likely adds? Hawaii, SDSU, Colorado State, and New Mexico?

Seems to be a popular discussion right now but since most people talking about it are on the east coast or in Texas, I would guess your choices are probably better than theirs.

I doubt CSU is going to the Pac12, but surely not while CU is in that conference. They’ve blocked us from joining their conference since the Skyline Conference days. 

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Honestly I've always scratched my head at Hawaii not being the PAC.  Honolulu is a big city and travel would not be as terrible as say Texas

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bizon said:

NDSU is your answer if you want a competitive team and a school/fanbase that is all in on football. It’s pretty much our only show in the state so everyone cares quite a bit! We bring 15,000-20,000 fans to Texas every time we make the championship game. We have nothing left to prove at the FCS so a lot of people are ready for the move up. Would be fun to have some new places to travel to! The Fargodome is right next to the airport so travel will be easy for opposing teams. 

There are no indications that the MW is looking to add at this time..

But I suspect that you are a sock just looking to troll..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

Honestly I've always scratched my head at Hawaii not being the PAC.  Honolulu is a big city and travel would not be as terrible as say Texas

DFW is 900 miles closer to SF than Honolulu.

Now, if you are arguing location as opposed to distance, well, hard to argue that...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 hours ago, azinco said:

Because being in the central time zone is more valuable for the PAC than the Big 12 going to California to pick up a school most people have not heard of or unfamiliar outside PAC/MWC.

I'm sure you're correct that the Pac would benefit more from adding two schools from the central time zone than the B12 would benefit from adding two schools from California. Because there's so much HS football and basketball talent in and around Manhattan, Kansas and Lubbock, Texas in comparison to San Diego county and California's central valley. And I'm sure you're right that most people in the central time zone and east of there have never heard of San Diego State and Fresno State.

1/10 (simply for the effort)

14 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

NDSU certainly does have its fundraising house in order which is not something that every FBS school has so you have that going for you.

The one time gift would be those large gifts totaling millions of dollars.  There are some people such as Phil Knight who can fund Oregon even if he's in the grave but not the best solution but they are helpful.

Right now the best thing to do is stay pat and see how the NCAA constitutional convention scheduled for November goes because there are probably going to be wholesale changes which could end up affecting many conferences and schools.

I am not sure if FBS allows a conference set up like the MVFC where you could take teams from the Summit, MVC, and Horizon (YSU) for one sport although Navy is in the AAC for just football.  If that is allowed, there is going to be major realignment in the FBS & FCS ranks for sure.

They do it for Hockey and probably LaCrosse as well. Why not Football ?

Americans Mayor

14 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Totally understandable.

All you need to do is find a conference home in FBS and I'm not sure it exists at this time.  Let's say NDSU, SDSU, ISU, SIU, and MOSU decide to move up.  They could try to convince Northern Illinois, Western Kentucky, and maybe Tulsa to form a football only conference.  You should be upset with the Jacks because they probably scared CSU away in that case...LOL.

The WAC 3.0 or the Belt would be a good starting spot.

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, mugtang said:

He asked me to delete his account when I sold the board.  He had asked me to do it a long time before I even considered selling it.  I deleted it per his request. 

So these newbies who have been posting utter nonsense for the last couple months actually aren't Stunner in disguise?

Must be relatives of his then because that kind of weak trolling could only be in the genes.

37 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

isn't Honolulu compromised of transplants from the U.S. and Asia that don't have ties to the university? Granted a lot of those are wealthy transplants with some discretionary income to burn, and some of those would fund/attend/watch Hawaii athletics, but when you filter out the population that doesn't care about college football, I think that hinders PAC12 expansion to paradise

2 hours ago, Herdbot said:

If you cant compete for Bowl Games or Conference Championships, it wouldn't be enjoyable at all. What's your goal being an independent? It's not like we're BYU or Notre Dame with a big TV deal

You gotta get your foot in the door somehow. Liberty has played in some bowl games. They will find a Conference before 2024.

Americans Mayor