Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

All the good FCS schools keep moving up so eventually it will be watered down. D1AA used to be deep and had star power. Marshall, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Liberty and now James Madison to the Sunbelt is pretty much a done deal. 

The top FCS teams are great but every year since 2011, a Missouri Valley Team had been in the National Championship because the playoff pool is weak. We even faced a conference foe in the Championship one year. Most Championship games occur in the playoffs when we face another MVFC team

That's why fans are itching to move up

Totally understandable.

All you need to do is find a conference home in FBS and I'm not sure it exists at this time.  Let's say NDSU, SDSU, ISU, SIU, and MOSU decide to move up.  They could try to convince Northern Illinois, Western Kentucky, and maybe Tulsa to form a football only conference.  You should be upset with the Jacks because they probably scared CSU away in that case...LOL.

7 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Bo Pini is not a good HC.  Hell he isn't even a good DC anymore.  I think the game has passed him by somewhat

I mean he won 9 and 10 games at Nebraska seemingly every year and then they fired him. Nebraska would kill to win 7 games

But he did make the FCS Championship game in 2016 with players he didn't recruit. and. After that it was all downhill. He tried to build a team with FBS transfers while teams like NDSU are developmental programs and redshirt almost everyone 

And looking at his results at LSU, it's hard to disagree lol. That defense is garbage 

2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

I mean he won 9 and 10 games at Nebraska seemingly every year and then they fired him. Nebraska would kill to win 7 games

But he did make the FCS Championship game in 2016 with players he didn't recruit. and. After that it was all downhill. He tried to build a team with FBS transfers while teams like NDSU are developmental programs and redshirt almost everyone 

And looking at his results at LSU, it's hard to disagree lol. That defense is garbage 

He had his best years at Nebraska with Callahan's players mostly.  He doesn't recruit well and had the most success when his brother Carl was the DC.  

H won games at NU but never could really win many games against ranked competition.  

23 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Totally understandable.

All you need to do is find a conference home in FBS and I'm not sure it exists at this time.  Let's say NDSU, SDSU, ISU, SIU, and MOSU decide to move up.  They could try to convince Northern Illinois, Western Kentucky, and maybe Tulsa to form a football only conference.  You should be upset with the Jacks because they probably scared CSU away in that case...LOL.

When it's meant to be it will happen.  I just hope we're ready to move when the time is right. I just really like the Mountain West and I'm envious of how the Sunbelt is coming along 

What really pisses me off is the rare FBS game we get, our payout is like 600k. That what Oregon paid us (for the cancelled covid game)

Then Wyoming gets a Texas game and they get 1.8 million. Not because they are way better than us, but because they have the FBS moniker behind them. 

That's a lot of money for a schools budget. Just that 1.2 million dollar difference would be enough to fund the extra 22 scholarships and give our coaches a nice raise to retain them

Sorry for the long winded discussion.  Im just really passionate and I just have a gut feeling something is up when our AD declines comment on media reports. That's rare for him

Just now, Herdbot said:

When it's meant to be it will happen.  I just hope we're ready to move when the time is right. I just really like the Mountain West and I'm envious of how the Sunbelt is coming along 

What really pisses me off is the rare FBS game we get, our payout is like 600k. That what Oregon paid us (for the cancelled covid game)

Then Wyoming gets a Texas game and they get 1.8 million. Not because they are way better than us, but because they have the FBS moniker behind them. 

That's a lot of money for a schools budget. Just that 1.2 million dollar difference would be enough to fund the extra 22 scholarships and give our coaches a nice raise to retain them

Sorry for the long discussion.  I just have a gut feeling something is up when our AD declines comment on mediareports. That's rare for him

I enjoyed the discussion this evening.

The SEC pays their FCS opponents garbage so the other conferences follow along.  Has been that way for years and I don't expect that conference to change their ways because of their greed.

It's still amazing how far NDSU has gone from their D2 NCC days to where they are at right now.  To think about it, Central Florida used to be D3(!) and now they are going to the Big 12.  There will be different opinions of whether NDSU can really move up to FBS so despite my knowledge of how conferences determine membership based on research tier rankings, money, and enrollment numbers, it's possible that NDSU is just ready to move up when the right opportunity comes if it isn't there today.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

It is an interesting question if it is not Hawaii.

Full MWC membership requires a football team. That raises the possibility of UC Davis or Cal Poly SLO wanting to move up from Big Sky football. Both have sports in the BW that the MWC does not sponsor.

If it is a non-football school, then which school and sports? The only current MWC non-full members are Hawaii in football and Colorado College in Womens Soccer.

The MW taking Cal Poly would instantly strengthen BW basketball.  They are baaaaaadddd.  Really bad.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FresnoFacts said:

Cal Poly's Mott Center/Gym would challenge SJSU's Event Center for the worse BB home in the MWC.

So by all means, take them.  They were a mistake we've paid for every year since 1996.

2 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

It is an interesting question if it is not Hawaii.

Full MWC membership requires a football team. That raises the possibility of UC Davis or Cal Poly SLO wanting to move up from Big Sky football. Both have sports in the BW that the MWC does not sponsor.

If it is a non-football school, then which school and sports? The only current MWC non-full members are Hawaii in football and Colorado College in Womens Soccer.

If true, interesting though process there as I I think MWC would take Hawaii in all sports but they are happy with the BW, so that would mean another one of their schools

45 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m all for adding Hawaii to get to 10 teams in all sports. I’m also all for adding them to get to 12 teams in all sports. Of course it’s not a given they would want to leave the BW.

Trade Hawaii for UNLV and SAN?

5 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Your post was going well and was humorous until this point.

The further up the food chain you go, the more important quality depth, size, and speed matter. At the FCS level, there is a huuuuuuuge shortage of those attributes. I know, I follow Weber St football. They're a pretty good, but those three attributes are missing when i go watch a game.

When you're schedule reads @Sparty, Boise, Nevada, @Wyoming, SUDS, @ Fresno. You're going to be pretty beat up halfway into that stretch. 

Even beating UNLV or CSU in that stretch will be a difficult W.

B119BEF9-0141-4FB4-8892-ADA5E0C8EE18.gif.be80098dfbb6f9329aad0390ba08ea6c.gif

v0icAvfW.jpg

5 hours ago, Herdbot said:

Speaking of Air Force, prepping for the triple option every year must suck for d coordinators.  We've played 3 option teams (5 games) in the playoffs with 6 days notice and they've all been tough games. 2 were easy but 3 were hard 

So, let me just make sure I understand.  Is it your position that preparing for an option team on less than 6 days notice is difficult?

What if the team were only to get one day of practice for that option scheme before having to leave for the other side of the country?

9 hours ago, Brew_Poke said:

Must be some top notch research done there, then.

Yes, they are studying a lot of new ideas. now that information can be passed freely among the libraries, as you have probably guessed, each library doesn’t have to have all the information themselves.  It’s a good model for other colleges to follow.  They are talking about getting computers to do it too, not just fax, phone and USMail.  

For example:  NDSU is still the largest land holding college in the US I think and have some fields they have been studying and kept under continuous cultivation since the 1880s.  That’s the type of unique information that has real value in research when shared. 

That kind of open research has been one of the secrets to NDSU becoming the most efficient  team in college football when measured by $/win.  That stat shows the quality of NDSUs food.  Because it’s a top ag  school with the inter-library research framework solidly in place they have the best food, hence the healthiest athletes expertly coached in  the fundamentals of the game giving them an inexpensive winning edge. 

5 hours ago, Pelado said:

So, let me just make sure I understand.  Is it your position that preparing for an option team on less than 6 days notice is difficult?

What if the team were only to get one day of practice for that option scheme before having to leave for the other side of the country?

I won't argue that point at all. Coastal Carolina would be very difficult with only a day notice

Had BYU had a regular week to prepare it could have been different 

But I don't want to chalk them up as a team that's only good because of their unique offensive scheme either otherwise they would be losing a bunch of games

But we've never lost to a triple option team as a D1 team either.  I was just acknowledging it requires significant gap discipline to defend it and then you have to forget everything you practiced 

Not many teams run the triple option 

11 hours ago, Herdbot said:

All the good FCS schools keep moving up so eventually it will be watered down. D1AA used to be deep and had star power. Marshall, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Liberty and now James Madison to the Sunbelt is pretty much a done deal. 

The top FCS teams are great but every year since 2011, a Missouri Valley Team had been in the National Championship because the playoff pool is weak. We even faced a conference foe in the Championship one year. Most Championship games occur in the playoffs when we face another MVFC team

That's why fans are itching to move up

I think realignment will basically "recreate" the FCS...and it will be even deeper, with all the teams that essentially "move down" as the true power programs circle the wagons and create even further separation from all of the have-nots.

Personally, as a fan I'm kind of looking forward to the day when the bulk of college football returns to amateur status! And the rest turns into NFL Jr.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Nebraska doesn't have quite the local numbers and the B1G took them in.  If winning football was all that mattered, Maryland & Rutgers wouldn't be in the B1G after adding Nebraska.

The MWC, C-USA, and AAC have their schools in large metro areas and that is why people here do not see NDSU as a good fit for the MWC.  The MAC would be a more natural fit but they refused to let Youngstown State in when they were winning four national championships in the 1990's.  Why would they allow eight time NDSU in that case?

That is why I say NDSU's best hope to get to FBS is to have the MVFC go with them.

Maybe NDSU should go Indy, play an NMSU type schedule, a couple of body bag paydays, playing the same teams twice, filling out your schedule with the other G5 Indies. Whatever it takes.

See how you hold up. If you show a pulse, like Liberty, a Conference will come calling.

I wish your program well. They remind me of San Diego State in the 60's and 70's.  Albeit we went Indy in the early 70's leaving the PCAA behind, we still played the PCAA teams and 3-4 WAC teams until we got into the WAC.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor