Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

11 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Not doubting NDSU can compete in the FBS...it just takes money such as those premium seats and club boxes.  That is usually where the money for higher head coach & coaching staff salaries comes from. 

I have watched the NDSU games on ESPN+ and I agree that the television is excellent and that place looks like fun.  One Bison poster here said Fargodome can go up to about 25K which might be enough but I think NDSU has bigger aspirations in mind.  It's just purely my opinion that there needs to be a bigger dome in the planning stages...closer to 30-40K.  It's going to be interesting to see what the NCAA and college football is going to be like in the coming future.  I think you would need 20 to 25 thousand season ticket holders to make it in FBS and that is about the size of the Colorado season ticket holder base but I'm pretty certain that the Big 12 season ticket holder bases are at least 30 to 35 thousand strong, hence my suggestion for a bigger dome.

Well after the new $37 million dollar IDPF is finished I think next year, who knows what will happen.https://gobison.com/facilities/nodak-insurance-football-performance-complex/41

7 hours ago, Ibanez said:

This is just a discussion going on and doesn't mean it's happening or there is anything gonna come from it. Just getting that out there..

There is a Big West team who would like to join the MWC but the MWC doesn't offer several of the sports the Big West has. It's got to be Hawaii right? That's the only school from the Big West that makes sense or am I missing something?

If Hawaii wanted the rest of their sports in MWC then MWC would gladly say come in but the way you are writing that, its not Hawaii.  Perhaps UCSB? But thought the Big West schools liked being the bus league or something like that.

2 hours ago, Herdbot said:

Because we play against shitty teams in the FCS. You think ESPN is going to pay huge money to broadcast a game vs Butler, Indiana State, or Western Illinois? But if we played some good teams they sure as hell would

Oh no you don't play much crappy teams in the MVFC.  I think that conference collectively would put a hurting on C-USA & MAC easily and make the MWC & Sun Belt nervous.  I watch & follow the MVFC and there are other teams in the MVFC that can make the jump to FBS.  SDSU, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Missouri State are MVFC teams that can make the jump to FBS along with NDSU.  Problem is FBS requires eight schools for a conference as opposed to six for FCS.

7 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Nebraska doesn't have quite the local numbers and the B1G took them in.  If winning football was all that mattered, Maryland & Rutgers wouldn't be in the B1G after adding Nebraska.

The MWC, C-USA, and AAC have their schools in large metro areas and that is why people here do not see NDSU as a good fit for the MWC.  The MAC would be a more natural fit but they refused to let Youngstown State in when they were winning four national championships in the 1990's.  Why would they allow eight time NDSU in that case?

That is why I say NDSU's best hope to get to FBS is to have the MVFC go with them.

Bringing Rutgers to the Big 10 is a prime example of why only targeting large metros is a dumb idea. They've done nothing for the conference 

Nebraska is total garbage now but its still a big home game for everyone simply because they are Nebraska.   Give them time and they will come back to being good 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Nothing says FBS like Dixie State (err, Utah Tech), Lamar, Incarnate Word, Southern Utah and company.  Yes, Chicago State is leaving after this year and Southern Utah comes aboard.  But that's a fugly, bloated map.

image.png.b36ef8b3ba90b679b99ffa7c5960a575.png

Chicago St is going to be leaving the WAC I believe after this academic year and haven't announced what their intentions are right now. And Seattle really wants to be in the WCC but that is a long time from happening if it happens at all. If you take those two out, the map there actually is that bad for a conference

4 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Oh no you don't play much crappy teams in the MVFC.  I think that conference collectively would put a hurting on C-USA & MAC easily and make the MWC & Sun Belt nervous.  I watch & follow the MVFC and there are other teams in the MVFC that can make the jump to FBS.  SDSU, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Missouri State are MVFC teams that can make the jump to FBS along with NDSU.  Problem is FBS requires eight schools for a conference as opposed to six for FCS.

The Conference is phenomenal but the teams just aren't that popular nationally and they don't draw very well. The Conference is so good that Youngstown State couldn't even get over the top with Bo Pelini. Although I miss his epic meltdowns after beating them

But all Missouri Valley teams jack up the ticket prices when NDSU comes to town

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ToTheMountains said:

Well after the new $37 million dollar IDPF is finished I think next year, who knows what will happen.https://gobison.com/facilities/nodak-insurance-football-performance-complex/41

That is not a good indicator of whether a team can make the jump to FBS.  Those things are going up even in the D2 ranks.  Conferences are looking more at the steady flow of income as opposed to one time gifts.

https://www.kcur.org/sports/2018-10-31/the-race-for-the-best-sports-facility-filters-down-to-ncaa-division-ii-football

3 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Bringing Rutgers to the Big 10 is a prime example of why only targeting large metros is a dumb idea. They've done nothing for the conference 

Nebraska is total garbage now but its still a big home game for everyone simply because they are Nebraska.   Give them time and they will come back to being good 

That is what the Sun Belt is doing right in this case.  There just needs to be at least seven other schools besides NDSU willing to make the move up.  There are four or maybe five such teams from the MVFC.  You will just need to find about two to three more schools in that case.

19 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Nebraska doesn't have quite the local numbers and the B1G took them in.  If winning football was all that mattered, Maryland & Rutgers wouldn't be in the B1G after adding Nebraska.

The MWC, C-USA, and AAC have their schools in large metro areas and that is why people here do not see NDSU as a good fit for the MWC.  The MAC would be a more natural fit but they refused to let Youngstown State in when they were winning four national championships in the 1990's.  Why would they allow eight time NDSU in that case?

That is why I say NDSU's best hope to get to FBS is to have the MVFC go with them.

Yeah the MVC and the MAC should swap places.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

The Conference is phenomenal but the teams just aren't that popular nationally and they don't draw very well. The Conference is so good that Youngstown State couldn't even get over the top with Bo Pelini. Although I miss his epic meltdowns after beating them

The practice of jacking up prices when popular teams come to town do occur at any level of college football.

It would help the popularity of the other teams if you would quit winning all of those FCS championship games. :D

2 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

That is not a good indicator of whether a team can make the jump to FBS.  Those things are going up even in the D2 ranks.  Conferences are looking more at the steady flow of income as opposed to one time gifts.

https://www.kcur.org/sports/2018-10-31/the-race-for-the-best-sports-facility-filters-down-to-ncaa-division-ii-football

But they are typically bonded and not raised with 100% private funds

Our IPF will be nicer than everyone in the MAC Conference and amongst the nicest in the G5 leagues

But NW Missouri State is a top notch D2 program.  I expect them to move up anytime. They are a decade overdue

Well a few years ago, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma st and I think Texas Tech were all within an hour of going to the Pac-12 at the time and word is Oklahoma St is still on Pac-12 radar when they expand. Just like Kansas and Big 10 appear to be feeling each other out as well. And West Virginia ran to the Big 12 but there have been second thoughts there for a bit

I think Big10 is kicking themselves at the Rutgers move.

Just now, Herdbot said:

But they are typically bonded and not raised with 100% private funds

Our IPF will be nicer than everyone in the MAC Conference and amongst the nicest in the G5 leagues

But NW Missouri State is a top notch D2 program.  I expect them to move up anytime. They are a decade overdue

NW MO State has under 10K students...I don't think it would be viable for them to move up to D1 but they are good.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I don't buy them getting TCU though. I figured it would be Houston and Texas Tech.

A few weeks ago there was  an article from.(I think) the San Jo Mercury that said the PAC isn't going to expand, partly because there are no solid candidates.  It went on to say that of the schools they would look at, if  they did expand, Houston checks the most boxes. 

The things they liked about Houston, was their R1 status, market size, expenditures on athletics, and non-stop from most PAC cities.

You may have seen it too.  I'll look for it, if I find it, I'll PM it to you.  But like all expansion stuff, it's just speculation. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

27 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Hawaii also has their own TV deal with Spectrum but honestly a flight to Hawaii is a major drain on finances 

NDSU had no desire to switch conferences for other sports.  The Summit is a perfect fit for us. North Dakota State,  South Dakota State,  North Dakota,  South Dakota,  St Thomas (St Paul MN), Omaha,  Kansas City, Denver and Oral Roberts who just made the Sweet 16. I predict it will surpass the Missouri Valley in basketball within 10 years

We make the Big Dance seemingly every other year in basketball. Women's Basketball is a 2 bid league. The Summit League Tournament is one of the best mid majors. How many draw 6k for a 1st round Tuesday aftetnoon WBB game?

Softball makes the big dance regularly and made the Sweet 16. Track and Field has numerous all amicans and a national champion. We're in the Big 12 for Wrestling. 

Now if you added Gonzaga everyone would want to join

So you want it just given to you?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

This wasn’t meant to be a good indicator. It was meant to be the last facility that we didn’t really have. The only thing left would be a new stadium. Also keep in mind that this IDPF was 100% payed for by private funding through Team Makers during covid. Not sure what you mean by “a one time gift”. Team Makers is a fund raising organization for NDSU that raises private funds that basically pays for scholarships, FCOA for all sports, athletic facilities and others.

15 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Bo Pini is not a good HC.  Hell he isn't even a good DC anymore.  I think the game has passed him by somewhat

12 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

If Hawaii wanted the rest of their sports in MWC then MWC would gladly say come in but the way you are writing that, its not Hawaii.  Perhaps UCSB? But thought the Big West schools liked being the bus league or something like that.

It is an interesting question if it is not Hawaii.

Full MWC membership requires a football team. That raises the possibility of UC Davis or Cal Poly SLO wanting to move up from Big Sky football. Both have sports in the BW that the MWC does not sponsor.

If it is a non-football school, then which school and sports? The only current MWC non-full members are Hawaii in football and Colorado College in Womens Soccer.

1 minute ago, Jalapeno said:

NW MO State has under 10K students...I don't think it would be viable for them to move up to D1 but they are good.

All the good FCS schools keep moving up so eventually it will be watered down. D1AA used to be deep and had star power. Marshall, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Liberty and now James Madison to the Sunbelt is pretty much a done deal. 

The top FCS teams are great but every year since 2011, a Missouri Valley Team had been in the National Championship because the playoff pool is weak. We even faced a conference foe in the Championship one year. Most Championship games occur in the playoffs when we face another MVFC team

That's why fans are itching to move up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ToTheMountains said:

This wasn’t meant to be a good indicator. It was meant to be the last facility that we didn’t really have. The only thing left would be a new stadium. Also keep in mind that this IDPF was 100% payed for by private funding through Team Makers during covid. Not sure what you mean by “a one time gift”. Team Makers is a fund raising organization for NDSU that raises private funds that basically pays for scholarships, FCOA for all sports, athletic facilities and others.

NDSU certainly does have its fundraising house in order which is not something that every FBS school has so you have that going for you.

The one time gift would be those large gifts totaling millions of dollars.  There are some people such as Phil Knight who can fund Oregon even if he's in the grave but not the best solution but they are helpful.

Right now the best thing to do is stay pat and see how the NCAA constitutional convention scheduled for November goes because there are probably going to be wholesale changes which could end up affecting many conferences and schools.

I am not sure if FBS allows a conference set up like the MVFC where you could take teams from the Summit, MVC, and Horizon (YSU) for one sport although Navy is in the AAC for just football.  If that is allowed, there is going to be major realignment in the FBS & FCS ranks for sure.

• Like 1